Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote hunting question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted
Hello All! I have only been coyote hunting 5-6 years now and have had some success on average I get one about every third trip (relative term I guess) I have tried expensive electronic calls and found them to be less than they are cracked up to be. I have about 4 different mouth calls I use now and usually one of them will bring something in if they are in the area. My question has to do with leaving or continuing to hunt an area immediately after a kill. In your experience, after killing a dog do you leave the area and not try again for hours, days?? I have heard some stories of guys making a kill, sitting for an hour and calling again. I ahve also heard that an area should be left for more than a week before trying again? Anyway, got this male on Thursday, he came in with his mate and I got him and sent the female running with snow flyin' 2 feet behind her for 5 shots out of my AR-- definetly was a blast.... (excuse the pun)

Mark Dobrenski?? VarmintGuy??? Any input??

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Vandal: You are the man! Great Trophy and a great photo of the two of you!
Keep after them!
In winter (time of stress) I have my favorite calling sites (valleys) where the Coyotes get "concentrated" just like the Elk and Deer. I will call these areas sometimes the next day after a kill! Part of the reason is MANY roads get closed by the democrats (Forest Service) in winter - in fact most roads get closed around here and some areas I can't even WALK into! They are closed for "habitat" and game protection! Don't get me started there.
There are a lot of Coyotes in these "concentrated" areas and new ones coming all the time.
In the summer I have access to much more country and much more remote country and I fly around hitting just the most prime spots for calling!
But no I never stay in one spot for an hour calling. I have lain (is that a word - lain?) on top of a hay bale stack for an hour waiting for "call shy" Coyotes to Hunt by me!
Now I am not sure if night spotlighting is legal where you Hunt but on many roads I spotlight in winter they are one way in and one way out only, from an area! And we will drive down these roads from calling site to calling site with the spotlight out the window "shining eyes"! It often is the course of events on the way in we will not spot any eyes in an area and an hour later as we drive out, there WILL be Coyotes there in the spotlight.
We call these situations "drive by's"!
I would say unless the wind is blowing hard that after you call an area without any sign (or sound!) of Coyotes that you forget about it for the day. Your time would be better spent (higher chance of success) a mile away or over the next well defined ridge (different drainage).
IF you are Hunting in cover as thick as you show in the background of your great picture then you are on YOUR OWN!
I do not like Hunting cover that heavy as the Coyotes can see or smell you often before you even know they are coming in! How do I know this because the little bastards will warning howl to each other and I never even see them!
You did well to bring that Coyote out of the woods!
Yeah that female you missed will remember YOU for a long while!
Keep after'em!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Coyote. I am glad you posted the picture so other's could enjoy. Razzer

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience coyotes are smarter than a fox. It does not take long at all for foxes to get hip and get real call shy. I hunt areas based on how much disturbance I caused when I last hunted it. If I have to do any tracking or the wind is changing alot or we did a bunch of shooting, I will wait two or three weeks before going back. Quickys after work, two or three sets in and out not much disturbance I might go back in a few days. I lucked into private land about three weeks ago. Wind was real switchy and got busted on almost every set. The guy I was calling for was not the best shot in the world so that did not help. That area is getting hunted again this week, it has maybe been 18 days. I try to scout as many stands as I can find so I do not have to go to the same areas, to keep things fresh.

I just got a FOX Pro FX3. I have been hunting off of my buddys 416 for two or three years. I like the FX3 when hunting alone. I can get down wind of it and keep the sound off of me. They are excellent but there is no magic bullet (pun intended). Some nights, prey sounds bring them running. Last time I was out I think a duck call or a dog whistle would have worked LOL. Some nights it is just distress sounds. I have about 4 hand calls that I use exclusivly and use the Fox-pro to enhance my arsenal.What is that saying, varity is the spice of life. It is much easier to get the urgency and drama using a hand call. It is much easier to get the shot with an e-caller. My 2 cents. Very nice dog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IV, very nice yote,congrats!!!!
I have hunted yotes for 15-20 years and do so on a very limited time frame due to out of state work. Here at home I hunt several farms that I am the sole varmit hunter,very lucky on my part. Two of these are chicken farms and there is always a supply of stinky dead chickens for bait Big Grin Calling on these two farms is duck soup but is limited to maybe once or twice a week and usually will produce a shot or even maybe a double if I am on that day.

I do hunt some public ground and I try not to hit these spots more than twice a month. Both spots I hunt are large open type medows with scattered brush with a creek on one side, I am guessing somewhere around 400 acres. I usually will score about once every other trip.
Here about 3 weeks ago we had a bunch of snow and I got lucky and caught two in one of the open fields, as luck would have it I was using the AR with the 100 round Beta Mag. You would have thought Ft. Lewis was having a training session clapNever did figure out how many shots were fired but when the smoke cleared, AR+2 Yotes-0
Good luck with your varmit hunting

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blueprinted said: It is much easier to get the urgency and drama using a hand call. It is much easier to get the shot with an e-caller.

I think that really sums it up best. Sometimes no amount of camo or hiding makes up for the fact they are focused on your location. The remote e-callers excel with eliminating or reducing that issue.
But I sure like squeakin' one in with a mouth call...

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Just my $.02 worth....

I agree that the E-calls don't sound as good. I have rarely gotten one over an e-call without coaxing with a mouth call.

As to frequency, we have gotten them every weekend calling the same locations in rotation, but usually spread out more if we've taken a few from the same spot.
How heavily an area is called seems to have more to do with it, than the carcases lying around. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote