THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Savage 223s and Hornady SPSXs Don't Mix!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 223s and Hornady SPSXs Don't Mix!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this on the reloading forum... However after spending two days at the range and testing loads with my NEW Savage 12 BVSS... I really had some hair pulling problems I couldn't figure out...

When I discovered finally, I felt like good old homer.....

Checked the scope and zeroing of it about 10 times with just loose 223 ammo with 55 grain FMJs I had loaded up by the truck load for plinking and just shooting at times...The Scope is a Tasco 8 x 32....

Then I checked the scope mounts made sure they were tightened....about a dozen times..

Finally figured it had to be a bad barrel on the new Savage.....

Took some loads with IMR 4320 in a 223 and 55 grain SP Winchester Bulk bullets... 5 shots, one hole at 100 yds....

Finally it dawned on old HOMER homer here...

Savage with a 1 in 9 twist...MV of loads tested from 3000 fps to 3400 fps....very accurate 55 grain Bullet.. The SPSX.... Wait a minute.. Super Explosive!

40 rounds with 5 different loads and not one bullet hole in the targets....

That fast of a twist with that velocity on that FRAGILE bullet... It was busy vaporizing it...

Call Hornady and they stated the SPSX was designed to withstand about 180,000 rpms out of the barrel.. with the 1 in 9 at 3400 fps, they were turning 280,000 rpms....

Well that explained the problem....

Did I feel like a real idiot!

But just passing on my big mistake to anyone else before they do the HOMER homer also!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I admit it! I tried them in my mini-14 without any regard for what had been clearly recommended too! Big Grin

I wanted a "fur" bullet. Well they worked like a charm in the Contender, but with the mini I was moving up to my target one shot at a time until I started seeing dust holes on the paper.
I think I may "need" one of those Savages for my son. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote