New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Fireball Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ran across some information in the January 2,007 issue of The Varmint Hunters Magazine. The information relays which Model of Rifles the new 17 Remington Fireball cartridge will soon be available in.
They are the Model 700 CDL SF, Model 700 VSF, Model 700 SPS and the Model 7 CDL!
I think I would prefer the 700 VSF - if thats some type of Varmint Stainless Fluted offering - I will check the Remington 2,007 online catalog for clarification there.
The small article I read concerning the Models available says the Model 700 CDL SF is going to be "the limited edition offering", apparently, for the year 2,007!
More later on that.
I am getting excited about seeing how well these 17 Fireballs shoot.
They should be a Prairie Dog Hunters delight!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The VSF is a 26 inch blued fluted barrel with a 1 in 9 twist that should do well with the new 25 Grain Hornady V-Max that some guys with 1 in 10's are having problems with as well as the longer 30 Bergers. It is in an HS Precision stock with a full length aluminum bedding block and two front swivel studs, one for a bi-pod and one for a sling.
Here's a picture.

A friend and I have orders placed for a couple as soon as they hit the dealers order bank. Looks like it's exactly the same as our .17 MachIV's with a slightly longer neck. We get 3,850ish with the 25 V-Max's in our MachIV's and they are indeed heck on p-dogs plus ya get to see all the hits due to lack of recoil. Ya oughta see em launch a gopher.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montdoug: Thank you very much for the picture and your insights on the 17 Remington (MachIV).
I had better get my ragged ass in gear and get one on order before all you Varmint Hunting types have them all spoken for!
And I better call Redding for dies!
I will have to sell something though - as I am broke!
All I have left is a wristwatch and my wedding ring!
Maybe I better have a yard sale?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The verdict is still out on whether or not the .17 MachIV dies will work for the new Fire Ball. The popular consensus is that they will but I'd wait till after the shot show official release to order dies. If the MachIV stuff will work there's a ton of good stuff from Wilson in line to Redding competition and all stops between to choose from.
Benchmark, N133, H335 or H322 and H4198 are good powders to start with. If you like the .17 Remington you'll truly enjoy this little rat smacker. A 20 grain V-Max at 4,000 to 4,100 with 18 or so grains of powder is a top gopher load that can be shot for extended strings without excessive heat. Big time rat spreader.
Sure wish the XR100 was getting it this year but Big Green says no go for now.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going with the low budget calling gun version. SPS with a Nikon buckmast. krylon paint and a cheapo neoprene sling. I will adjust the trigger and touch up the crown and fix the bedding myself. Guessing I can stay under $700 for a beater. I might even run some facotry loads (YUK)through it until I can buy dies off the shelf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady 6th Edition Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading pages 76 &77 has the 17 MACH IV reloading data. It takes 16.7 Gr H4831 to get the 20 Gr V-Max bullet to 4,100 ft/sec muzzle velocity( 245.5 ft/sec per Gr of powder). -- The Hornady data for the 17 Rem shows that it takes 25.4 Gr Varget to get the same 20 Gr bullet to 4,300 ft/sec muzzle velocity.(169.3 ft/sec per Gr of powder) --One of my other books showed that the 17 MACH IV case held 20.31 Gr of water and the 17 Rem. held 27.23 Gr or 34.1 % more than the 17 MACH IV. The larger 17 Rem takes 52 % more powder to get a 4.8 % increase in ft/sec MV with the 20 Gr bullet. A 17 MACH IV or a Rem .17 Fireball will be setting beside my 17 HM2, 17 HMR ,and 17 Rem. varmint rifles. Darn, I wont one for spring prairie dog pup shooting.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinted the guys at Remington tell me it will be first released in an SPS and an SPS Varmint. Also the Model 7 the CDL SF Special Edition and the VSF. Couldn't give me a release order only that it was soon. We should know a lot more with the shot show.
Like any spoiled kid all I could do was complain (tastefully) that it wasn't coming in the XR100.
I predict more nifty small caliber stuff looming on the horizon (at least I hope so, it's sure a gas).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug I had my heart set on a LVSF. I played with a few after I heard the release of the F/B. I just can not warm up to that stock. CDL is way to pretty for my uses. I had hoped on a Mod 7 in S/S with the same contour barrel they use on their Short mags. That would be close to perfection in my book for a calling rifle. Oh well, SPS it is. I have a buddy going to the Shot show. He has direct orders to get the skinny from Remington on a date. My order will be in that day. I saw a modle 7 at a local Gander Mountian with a laminate thumbhole. smaller lighter profile than a XR100. Maybe a #3 or 4 contour. Seemed about perfect for the round. 1st I had saw one in that configuration. Seems it was in 22-250 but could be wrong. If it comes and does not shoot, Lilja makes great 17 barrels everyday LOL.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's why I ordered the VSF Blueprinted, it's a great platform and if this rifle doesn't shoot sub half inch out of the box with a little tweaking it'll be wearing a three groove Pac-Nor Super Match so fast it'll make yer head spin. rotflmo.
One thing about those .17's, an 8/10ths inch group looks like a pattern with those dinky holes. I'm pretty jacked about this, even with the smaller case than the .17 Remington loading that 30 grain Berger oughta make this a dandy fur rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug but when they are all touching the groups look really really small LOL. As I sit here I am telling myslef. NO MORE CUSTOMS!!!!! I know once the damn thing gets here it will get a new stock. Then a trigger, then trued and barreled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG - I sense another new rifle coming on Cool Big Grin WinkDoes your wife know yet stir Roll Eyes Confused

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Warning, bloody photo.
Your right Blueprinted, no sense wasting money on customs when factory rifles shoot well. Here's a 5 shot group out of my Cooper .17 MachIV with 25 grain V-Max's (great .17 cal varmint bullet). I did bed this one and tweak the trigger.

Here's the result in the real world. My wife gassed this little guy at a Leica'd 335 yards. She loves shooting the .17's and .20's due to no recoil, makes for fun rat smacking.

I guess it's obvious my wife's a back shooter.
In case you've never shot p-dogs at distances with a 17 that is a lot of damage for that kinda distance, like I said great bullet.
As to triggers both my shooting partner and I have already ordered and recieved Kepplinger single set triggers from Brownells.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Montdoug: Good point on waiting for the official word! I have two close friends who own Gunshops that are going to the Shotshow and I will put a bug in both their ears to find out what is what on the dies for the 17 Remington Fireball!
Yeah I would buy an XR-100 in 17 Fireball in an instant!
I have just been ga-ga over the two XR-100's I own!
The thumbhole stock of the XR-100 fits my hulking body to a "T", I love the trigger, both of my XR-100's are exceptionally accurate, they look great and they ride the sand bags, bi-pods, tri-pods, window bags and my newest field support system (The ShootWright giant tri-pod system) wonderfully!
Well... that Cooper of yours is shooting SO well that I just hope our Remingtons shoot half that good! I mean I would be happy with average groups twice that size!

Butchbloc: Yeah I better break the news to the VarmintWife "gently" if you know what I mean!

Come on Remington - Spring is in the air (the high here in SW is supposed to be 4 degrees Thursday!!!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
If they were making it in the XR100 with the adjustable 40X trigger they have I wouldn't of purchased a Kepplinger after market. I have wanted an XR since they first came out but all I shoot any more is sub .22 caliber stuff (except for big game of course) and they are too spendy for my budget to buy and just tear apart, maybe someday I'll find a nice used one to dissect. Knowing my luck I'll no sooner get a VSF in .17 Fire Ball and they'll bring it out in an XR. I know this'll sound stupid to most but I wish they'd left the dog-leg bolt on it, I always liked them since my first XP100 that I bought new for $105.00 and the model 600 in 6MM I had.