Find
Notify
Tools

Wich cal.20
 Login/Join

<paal>
posted
Hello everbody!

I'am in the need of some advice from you.
I WANT a cal.20, but i can't make up my mind,wich one i want?
I need it to be fast and accurate.
Like the:Tact.20,20 PPC or 20BR
I do think the 20BR are a little bit oversized?
Other suggestion?please tell me!

I have a T/C Encore i can put the barrel on.

Or i can take my Rem.700 VS (22-250)and throw the terrible barrel (1"@100mtr)in a good day [Mad] And make that a cal.20 rifle.

The scope are going to be Leu.8,5-25X50(it's on the 22-250)
Or the new Zeiss Q 6,5-20X50.

<Wildcat>
posted
If you do throw the barrel I'd be interested in it so long as its the heavy contour.

I'd go for the Tactical 20

<Jordan>
posted
Paal:

I think the answer depends on your velocity requirements. The tactical will move the Hornady bullet to 4300+ fps in a 24 inch tube; the Var Targ [.221 Fireball] will get 3750 and the Turbo [.222 Rem] will do 3850. [These latter two velocities are from .20 inch tubes] I believe the Turbo might get 3950 fps with judicious load development and a longer tube.

I presently own two Var Targ Turbos [on small Sakos] and like them alot and selected this cartridge because I am a big fan of the .222 Rem. case. I have also had a Var Targ, but was disappointed by its lack of velocity and the less than stellar quality of .221 Fireball brass. I form my Turbo brass from IMI .223 brass, which also makes nice parent brass for the Tactical [of course, one could also make parent brass for the .20 Var Targ from IMI if one wished].

I also have a .20 BR, but have not shot it. For a large case capacity twenty, if I had it to do all over again, I would go with the PPC rather than the BR case. I think the case capacity of the BR is a bit larger than optimal. I do think however, that with Don Unmussig's 40-42 grain bullets, the BR will perhaps reach 4500 fps.
I suspect the PPC would do almost the same.

I have had great success with Douglas barrels. I also cryo them. I have heard others give good reports also on Pac Nor .20 cal tubes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jordan

<paal>
posted
Hi again

Thanks for your answer's

I forgot one thing, i want to use Lapua brass, that's the best brass if you ask me [Razz]
So i have several case's to start with:
220 Russian
222 Rem
223 Rem
6mm BR

The velocity should reach 4100+ w/at least 24" barrel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, a rifle in .22-250 would have a boltface too large for anything but the .20 BR. To make if work, you'd have to change the boltface, and do some major work to the magazine to make it feed (unless you simply use it as a single-shot). It would probably be a bit cheaper to use the Encore and save the Remington for something else.

<paal>
posted
--->Geo

I'am thinking of that.
I don't mind if it's a single shot.
One shot,one kill [Big Grin]

But i can't decide wich one?

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Last winter, Virgin Valley Custom Guns made a Tactical 20 barrel for my Encore. Tickled
pink with it. Using 25.1gr of H4198, I have gotten just over a 1/8" group with it. That
load, according to the chart, should have been spitting out the 33gr VMax at over
4270fps in the 24" barrel. The pressure is a little more than Winchester brass can
take, though, so you're right in selecting the Lapua brass. Me, I'm ordering some of
the IMI brass recommended by Todd Kindler.

From what I've heard, just about all the 20's are pretty darned accurate, but if you
want over 4100fps with the amount of powder used, the Tac 20 is about the most
effecient one you can get.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote