THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Chrome Moly or Stainless Savage?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrome Moly or Stainless Savage?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just aquired a new Savage 12FVSS .223 stainless and it shoots great. I notice here and other places alot folks have the chrome moly barrel. Did I make a mistake or is it just my insecurity?
Thanks, Mad`

[ 04-19-2003, 22:19: Message edited by: Mad ]

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of N.B.S.A. benchrest & I think 99.9% are s.s. They last longer. Enjoy yours !!!!!!!!!

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I like stainless barrels. I like CM barrels too. For a pretty rifle I choose CM. I like good bluing. But for shooter/beater, I would pick SS barrels.

As far as actions, I believe that CM are smoother. On a Savage, I don't think you will notice a difference. Enjoy your rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like stainless better. I had a savage 112 FVSS-S in .220 swift (it got stolen) and it shot tiny groups. I recently bought a 12 BVSS in 22-250 with the accutrigger and just mounted the scoup on it about 3 hours ago. I'm hoping for great things from it also. As far as which shoots better, CM or SS, I can't say, they both seem to shoot great. I do notice that savage seems to be phasing out their CM barrels in their heavy barreled rifles. They've dropped a lot of the heavy barrel CM offerings lately.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mad, I had to use Rust Metal and Termite Food for many years before the good old Stainless and Synthetic rifleswere made. Absolutely no comparison between the two. If you want one to lookatin the house and never take outside, then RM&TF "might" do. If on the otherhand you actually take your rifles outside, S&S is so far ahead of everything else it isn't even in the same league.

Check this thread and be thrilled you got S&S.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=006055;p=1

Your S&S will last you a very long time with just a bit of common sense care. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you made a mistake - you certainly didn't.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote