Find
Notify
Tools

22K HORNET
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,
i just got a 20" SS 22K HORNET barrel ,custom made by Bullberry (for Contender ). I was wondering if anyone uses them for hunting & what load/data you are using & what are you hunting with it ? Are you satisfied with the performance ? Do you find it accurate ?
Thank you in advance for your time & help.
SOUP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
14.5 gr of lil'gun and a 40 gr vmax or nosler bt

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some loads with pistol primers. Often, switching from rifle primers to pistol primers makes a noteworthy improvement in group size in the Hornet. Not sure if it is applicable to the K-version, but since primers are cheap, and so easy to test-why not give it a go?

H4227, 4198 (various makes, but the short cut Hodgdon would be my choice=> 4198 "SC", possibly W296.)

Neat little cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Soup,
I had my hornet K'd out last fall and love it. I load Hornady 45 grain hornet bullets with 9.8 grains of IMR 4227 powder CCI small pistol primers and Winchester brass. I have tried the 35 grain v-max with lil'gun and it shoots OK but my gun really likes the 45 grain hornet. I would recomend getting one of thesehttp://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=10973&s= broken shell removers, I bought one when I had mine K'd out because I had alot of hornet brass loaded that had been reloaded about 4 time and my gunsmith told me I might have some head seperation when I fire them in the new K version and he was right. I threw all my old brass away and started over with new brass. I use my K-hornet to hunt coyotes and jack rabbits and have no complaints about the performance

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote