Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 VLS Question
 Login/Join

posted
I'm about to get one in 6mm. Should I float it? Any experience on the subject appreciated. Why doesn't Remington float it from the factory? Is the pressure point beneficial?

Posts: 11 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beer Drinker WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Usually a light weight barrel will benefit from forend pressure point near the end of forearm but it's best to free-float a heavy barrel.

For a heavy barrel gun, the receiver is best when receiving 2 or 3 bedding points to help support the suspending barrel, while the barrel can be left totally floating or with 1~2 inch bedded at the beginning of the barrel.

I am sure you will find this forum very helpful.

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first. Why work on a gun when it's not necessary? I'm betting the only thing you'll have to touch is the trigger. I really hate the way Remington sets their triggers so heavy from the factory. You need to get a running start just to squeeze one off [Big Grin] .

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what jethro said. All mine needed was a trigger job.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beer Drinker,

I also am watching the responses to this topic since I just ordered a Remington 700 VLS in
6mm Rem. I can't see any need for a pressure point at the far end of the stock. This rifle weighs 9.3lbs so it certainly doesn'r have a thin barrel. On my last three new rifles I've glassed the action, floated the barrel, and lightened the trigger before even taking the gun to the range. You're probably going to have to do it anyway. The results are well worth it. In spite of all the advertisements to the contrary, most of the new rifles need all the help we can give them. Remingtons are usually good shooters, but even their quality control seems almost non-existent now. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didnt shoot mine before I worked it and wished I did.It will shoot now,no doubt,I just wonder sometimes if it would have without doing it.It was floated,glassbedded,and Shilen triggered,before it was ever fired.If you reload you will love the 6mm over the 243.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a VSS and it came from the factory with the barrel floated.
[Confused]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think all the VS have the bedding block therefore in theory you would have a good bedding and not need a pressure point.The VL doesnt have the aluminum bedding block.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the 1/400 VLS 22-250's with that black laminated stock and the darn thing is too pretty to shoot!! Still in the box and unfired after 6 weeks!!! Anybody want it? I am not going to shoot it so if you want one let me know and send a check!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme:
You're correct, the synthetic stock guns come floated from the factory, the VLS (laminated stock) does not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the synthetic stocked sporters have the pressure point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog, how much? Where 'bouts in sw va do you live?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question. Of course you should shoot it before doing anything to it other than tuning the trigger. Also, before you go doing something to the stock that can't be undone, cut you several washers out of card stock, place them around the action screws between the stock and the action. Crank the screws down tight. You have now effectively "floated" the barrel. Do the dollar bill thing to be sure. If the dollar won't slide all the way to the receiver, add more paper washers. You have also essencially pillar bedded the action. Shooting the rifle now should come close to telling you what either of these jobs would do to your rifle. By the way, it never hurts to add a card stock shim between the barrel and the pressure point and see how it shoots like that while you're jimmin' around with the stock. Sometimes that is what is needed to make a rifle shoot its best.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Beer Drinker:
I'm about to get one in 6mm. Should I float it? Any experience on the subject appreciated. Why doesn't Remington float it from the factory? Is the pressure point beneficial?

Good choice of caliber.

Float it?
Absolutely. Accuracy is about removing variables. I don't shoot my custom rifles before they are pillar bedded, I just do it because it is part of the accurizing process necessary to wring out as much performance out of a rifle as possible.

Why not that way from the factory?
Who knows. Tradition runs strong and they have a tradition of using a pressure point on the end of their stocks that is a holdover from their BDL model. Remington stocks and rifles are simple to glass bed and to float. It is interesting that on the VSSF models the barrel is completely free floated. Leave it to HS-Precision to take ownership of that issue. Savage varmint rifles are also free floated from the factory as are Sako varmint rifles (with wood stocks no less).

Is the pressure point beneficial?
In a word, no. While it may provide some damping effect, as a barrel heats up it can cause inconsistent accuracy. For a big game hunting rifle this is not a big deal for most joes since you usually don't fire off 100 rounds in a day. For Varmint shooting it's a different story.

Remington barrels are generally very good as far as hammer forged technology goes. They generally are consistently accurate. I've glass bedded many Remington rifles over the years and free floating the barrels has never resulted in poorer accuracy. Quite the contrary.

re5513.

posted Hide Post
Sorry Mr. Big, I was referring to the heavy barrel sythetic stocked guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beer Drinker: The last Remington 700 VLS I bought was in 260 Remington caliber. All I did to it was adjust the trigger! It shoots very well indeed! If you have a particular bullet in mind to use for your applications go ahead and load some up or buy some and try them in your new Rifle. Then you will have some basis for comparison if you do need to try for accuracy enhancement later. You would also have some fireformed brass and a barrel with some rounds down it. These things are helpful when trying to achieve accuracy I have found.
I have had a lot to do with Remington 700's in the VLS Model and they are usually very accurate out of the box. Adjust your trigger to two pounds, carefully mount your scope with quality rings and bases (lap them correctly also) and use good ammunition, lots of scope power and patiently wait for a near windless day to test your VLS and I expect your chances of obtaining good accuracy are high without the bedding. The proof though will come when you get to know your Rifle a little better. If it shifts point of aim after long trips or from season to season or after firing several rounds (5+) in a row then bedding may be called for. I have not bedded a factory Remington in a long time - I just have not needed to!
Good luck with the new Rifle when it gets here!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Beer Drinker, Rem claims accuracy will suffer If you float the barrel on the VLS, they make em' that way because it's easier to do it that way, I personally like the barrel floated on a heavy barrel rifle, but it might shoot good the way it is since the laminated stock is stable enough, it won't warp whereas a regular wood stock might, shoot it first. If you don't mind spending another 300, you could have HS Precision make you a PST12 stock(M24 style)like I have on my 6mm, wide forend and ambedextrious palm swell, outstanding stock. If you reload, send me an e-mail, I've got some accurate loads for ya. I can send trigger adjustment instructions also, If you like. Let me know. Jay.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up my Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. last night. It's pretty much as I had figured except Remington no longer has checkering on the grip and forend of the laminated stocks. The barrel is blued but matte. The rifle has a cheeckpiece but it's low enough so it doesn't bother my aim
(I'm a lefty). I'll test it out, and then decide about glass bedding the action, floating the barrel and adjusting the trigger. It will probably have to be done. I mounted a Bushnell 4200 in 6x24 on it (old Bausch & Lomb). I ordered a set of Wilson knock out neck dies for it too. I've been using Wilson's for several years now and am a believer. At 67 that's probably the last rifle I'll buy. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mine has checkering on the grip but not the forend.its about 6 years old.

one of us
posted Hide Post
B.D.

I agree with Cal and Varmint Guy. I own several Rem 700 VLSs. ( 2 in 223 and one in 260).

All three are great shooters. They are my favorite in Remington's line up. I usually buy other brands first ( Winchester and Ruger).

A trigger adjustment and you are set.

VarmintGuy, here is to all of us who are "smart' enough to know the merits of a 260 especially in a Varmint Rifle.! We are a small but very astute group.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire: This is my first 260 Remington calibered Rifle but I have several friends with them and they have brought to bag all manner of Big Game and Varmints with them! My 260 was an easy Rifle to settle on an accurate load for! The FIRST load I tried after barrel break in gave me a 5 shot group at 100 yards of .451"! The bullet I want at the speed I want and good accuracy! I am as happy as a clam! I plan on doing long range high mountain Rock Chuckin with it as well as Coyotes and Antelope this fall!
A friend of mine insists that I try the Hornady 95 gr. V-Max and he gave me 30 of them for testing. I will be doing that testing soon.
Yes Seafire I think we should pat ourselves on the back for getting one of these fine Rifles in such a useful caliber!
Long live the 260!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy,

Welcome to the 2-6-0 Club. Of bullets, the only one that I had that did not do that good for me was the 96 grain Hornady. That is highly usual from my experience with Hornady's Products.

In that same weight range, I recommend the 90 Speer TNT ($12.95/100 thru Cabelas). IN my VLS I get 3500 to 3550 fps.

I also recommend the Nosler Ballistic Tips in 100 or 120 grains, or the Sierra 100 and 120 Match bullets.

With either 100's I get a little over 3400 fps with these bullets from the VLS.

I do caution using the 100 Grain BT on deer or Antelope tho. Took a deer at 300 yds last year and I watched its head drop in the scope on 4x, straight down after it was hit. However the BT destroyed a hunk of meat the size of my hand ( with fingers spread) on the oft shoulder.

My final favorite tho is the 107 Sierra match kings. I had mine throated out to seat this cartridge long, and single load it. I use it in 600 yd competition. ( I always get beat by everyone else, but I am only really competing against myself to make me a better long range shooter,).

If you want any details on the load data I use, drop me an email.

Stay Cool V.G.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 6mm. The only thing I did was to put a Jewel trigger on it. I did get the factory trigger to 1.5 pounds, but the Jewel is better. The rifle shoots great. The best group was .263 center to center. It will shoot half inch groups consistantly. This is with 70 grain Sierra blitz kings and 3031.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Bob, Try 39.6grs. H4895 under a 75gr. Sierra, Win. brass, 91/2 Rem. or Fed.210 primer, OAL. 2.832, some 2s low 3s consistantly with that Jewell trigger. Jay.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Varmint Guy and Seafire, and I don't even own one. I bought it's cousin, the 6.5x55 in the Remington Classic. My range friends own .260's and we have some friendly banter about which is best. The truth is both are terrific, accurate rifles that won't turn you into a spastic cripple. I get the same size five shot group with the 85gr Sierra HP as I do with the Sierra 160gr SPSP. That's one hell of a statement for any caliber, to get similar results with the smallest and the largest projectile offered. People were initially leery of the .260Rem. 6.5's are not common in North America. The following is really growing now for .260 fans and I for one am quite happy about it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal