New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 22 is king??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That new Rem 700 LVSF has my eye but I can't decide what cartridge would be the best fit. I currently own a VSSF in 22-250 Rem and a couple of AR-15s in 223 Rem and really enjoy both rounds. I'm leaning towards the 223 Rem due to the cheap ammo and the possibility of getting rid of the 22-250 so I only have to stock up on 1 type of ammo but that flat trajectory is hard to give up. What do you think??

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That depends on what camp your in as to the 22 that is considered king. In my view it is the 221 fireball or 222 Remington. Both exibit superior accuracy and are very reasonable to shoot and reload.

The 223 is the Militaries contribution to the private sector gun buffs. The 223 is a fine shooting cartridge and mountains of ammo is available for the shooter. The 223 will handle many weight bullets when the bore twist rate is properly selected. The range of the 223 is determined by bullet weight selection. The limited case capacity determines how well the cartridge will perform at extended ranges.

The 22-250 has long been a favorite cartdige for those who enjoy driving bullets at extreme velocities for those who reload. None of the lesser 22 cartridges can equal the performance of the great shooting 22-250 or 220 Swift. Those two cartridges are still very popular today and remain top 22 cailber cartrigdes being used. The down side of shooting the 22-250 is expense of shooting and shorter bore life than the 223 round.

Your intended shooting purposes also should determine the cartridge you choose to shoot. If you want less expense shooting and longer bore life then the 223 is the ticket. If you desire extended range performance on game and expense is less important, then the 22-250 is the ticket.

The .224 diameter bullet is subject wind deflection and velocity lose much more than the larger calibers. The 6mm aka .243 diamter bullet will fare much better bucking the wind and long range performance on game.

If you desire minimum recoil, superior accuracy, long bore life, low cost shooting then the 221 fireball is the ticket.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1-12 should handle up to the 55-60 grain bullet weights with ease. The 1-9 twist was designed in the AR's for the long 69 grain green tip ammo the military uses. Should work great for the long range VLD bullets also.

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .222 [Lux], .223 [1 in 9"] [Bushmaster], .223 [1 in 12"] [Colt], .223 [1 in 12"][Ruger], and 22-250 [Rem].

I like the two .223s with 1 in 12" barrels the best.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I just noticed...the Rem 700 LVSF has a 1-12 twist rate but my favorite AR-15 has a 1-9 twist.

With those rates of twist, what bullet weights is each gun designed to shoot? Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you reload Nebraska(you should if you dont yet)? They are both no doubt great cartridges, why not sell one of your ARs and buy a bolt rifle in 223?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would be helpful to know distances,targets etc. I have shot a lot of jackrabbits at night and the 22-250 worked well ONLY because I was shooting cast bullets. Shooting like that from inside a pickup without these reduced cast loads,the 22-250 would be way too much blast. I have a .223 bolt gun and with jacketed it is very accurate,but cant get it to shoot cast. My 222's and 22-250 will shoot either very well.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote