New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking Varminter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a recommendation for a light "walking varminter" in .223 for rabbit/coyote hunting.

I know the bench varmint rifles with 26" heavy barrels are accurate enough out to 500+ yards, but what is the effective range of walking varminter with a 22" lighter or fluted barrel.

Assume I can shoot. Are coyotes at 300 yards realistic?

Hunter 308

one of us
posted Hide Post
.223rem is good for coyotes out to 500 if you are that good of a shot Wink even with a light rig.

As for a nice rig for stalking varmiter I like the new '05 .223rem 84m Kimber SuperAmerica.
good luck 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both heavy and light varmint rifles and have a personal preference for the heavier side however on the light side prefer the Remington LVSF. They have a caliber selection to fit everyone likes. Mine is in a 22-250 however I'd probobly pick the 204 ruger if I did not already have a rifle in 20Tactical.I feel like these 2calibers are the ultimate coyote rifle in whatever configuration but thats just been my experience.

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kimber! They make several that would work, but my choice is a Montana in .243. I shoot 58 and 70 gr bullets. Last fall at lasered ranges of 262 - 278 yds it was deadly on ground hogs and coyotes. With a Zeiss 4.5-14 and Talley aluminum rings it weighs just under 6.5 lbs.
Shoots .75".

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
The best walking varmiter that I know of is the CZ 527 varmit with the kevlar stock. it comes with a 24" barrel and the action is very compact it is actually the same length and weight as my sporter barrel ruger 22" 22-250. The CZ with its tapered heavy barrel tips the scales at 7.5#'s. the CZ is in a class of its own. The HS stock and aluminum bedding block makes it a potent accuracy combo.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you like Remington then the Model 7 would be a good choice. Another option is the mini-mauser from Charles Daly. My preference is my
CZ527 in .221 Fireball.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Featherweight in 223 that I am found of, also a Ruger 77 Mk2 in 223 with a Hogue Rubber stock and a Mil Dot 3 x9 scope on it that is awfully handy.

A Ruger 77 in Stainless and Laminate Stock in 22/250 also does a nice job, along with a couple of 243s in the same set up.

If I replaced anyone of them, it would be the Ruger in 223, and the replacement would be a Savage 16 Stainless and I'd put a boyd's laminate stock on it. I like the 1 in 9 twist.

Oh, silly me, I also forgot the Stainless Ruger 77 with a 1 in 8 twist, and a PacNor heavy sporter barrel for those 69 , 75, and 80 grain bullets.

Decision, decisions, decisions

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

Hunt308...

You've received some great advice here on a walk-up varminter. My personal criteria for a walk-up varminter is:
1. Can be anything except "heavy".
2. Doesn't have to be looong, either.
3. Puts the first shot from a cold barrel on target every time - consistant accuracy.
4. Has enough scope for aiming AND hitting a fox sized animal at looongish range.

The Mini-Mauser's are a great concept - bad excecution. They're short, light & handy but the two I owned (note past tense - a .223 & 22-250, are no longer in my possession) took alot of tinkering to get them shooting to the accuracy level I expected, perhaps others don't use the same criteria or may have had different experiences.

Net, any reasonable brand name rifle in a light sporter configuration like a Remington Model 7, Winchester Featherweight, lightweight Browning A-Bolt, CZ's, Savage & other brand name products in .204, 221, .222, .223, 22-250 or .243 would be a great varmint walk-up gun when coupled with a brand name optic of say, at least 12x.

I've often considered purchasing a Savage Tactical FP in .223, whacking the barrel off to about 20" and then have it fluted for some real weight savings, personally think that might make a cool walk-about. With a brand name bipod in my daypack or rucksack I'd tackle about any shot presented. The Remington Model 7 is the same without the additional weight and cost.

I've got a Heym model 40 L/H, with a Leupold 3-12x40 in .223 Rem. with a pencil thin barrel on it and it is a real feather-weight tack-driver! It also puts the first shot from a cold barrel on target every time. As a light, walk-around varminter that meets my criteria. I've bashed foxes with it as far away as I can reasonably hold (aim) in the field and it has never failed me, so yes, a coyote at 300 meters would certainly not only be a reasonable expectation but most likely a one shot kill at that range with my walk-up varminters.

I also use a Blaser OffRoad in .222 & .223 Rem and .243 Win. with Weaver 6-16x42 & BSA 6-24x50 varmint scopes; changing back to a smaller 6x42 for smaller big game hunting, they're pretty light and there's alot of versitility in those packages too.

Good Luck making your choice and have fun getting out there after those coyotes.

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi. I have been using what I think is just about ideal. I have a T/C Encore with a 16 1/2 inch barrel in .223. I had an extra .223 barrel, so I had it cut and crowned. Can't ask for anything better for a walking 'chuck gun.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Yankee Doodle,

Think outside the box - keep us bolt guys honest - hadn't thought of that option, sounds like you've got a really nifty little walk-about rifle in a nice, tidy package!

At a very reasonable price as well!

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Ruger77 Ultra-Lite model in 223Rem.

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I carry either a Interarns Mini Mark X Mauser in 223 (now imported by Charles Daly)a Ruger 77/22 hornet

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If your "walking varminter" was over 22 cal. wouldn't it make a good "mountain gun" for deer?

Posts: 41 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 30 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just decided on a Rem. LTR to fit similar needs to you.

It should arrive next week.

All reports I've had so far is that these things shoot well.

It will top the scales a tad under 9lb with a 4.5-14 and a full mag.

Check em out.

[URL=http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

Cheers
Boof....

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot my Blaser R 93 in 223 with the standard sporter bbl at 300 yards on paper one time. Federal 55 gr Ballistic tips shot a 3.5 inch 5 shot group. Groups at 200 yards with a couple of different loads were under 2.5 inches.
These groups were fired prone off of my hunting pack.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A remington LV SF is a great carry weight rifle. My sons 221 fireball stacks the shots right on top of one another.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a stock varmint rifle out of the box it's hard to beat a Sako. I have an older Sako Varminter in .222Rem. (you'll need another caliber to reach beyond about 200yds). It weighs less than most of the other varmint rifles, has an excellent trigger, decent looks, and is an excellent shooter. It is fairly expensive. If you're strapped the CZ might be a better option. It also is very accurate in a varmint configuration. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my latest. It's a Kimber 84M Montana in 243. I am loading the 58 gr VMax at 3750. So far I don't have a favoite scope on it but the Leu 4.5-14 Tac. on it now is good.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Nice 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice Big Grin
338vt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Browning A-Bolt Hunter. 223 WSSM, 243 WSSM or 223 Rem are all in the super short action.

I shot my personal A-Bolt 223 Rem last week with 40 and 55 V-Max's, 0.32 and 0.36 3 shots at 100yrds. You don't need a heavy barrel to get good accuracy.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
How about the H&R Ultra varmit SB2 in .223. Great little bull barrel single shot that is very accurate and portable and is very short overall because of being a single shot. Has a 22 inch bull barrel but is like a winchester 30-30 in overall length. wave

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another solution is what I use when I want to carry my heavy barrel Sako: I put on my biathalon sling which then carries the rifle like a backpack. It's very comfortable and 12 lb is a pretty light pack. That sling is also a good shooting sling.

Put your nose to the grindstone, your belly to the ground, and your shoulder to the wheel. Now try to work in that position!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Rem 7, but I am going to try a Ruger RSI just because I like the way they look.

I don't shoot many coyotes at long range, so I am not really hung up on accuracy. I would rather have a rifle that is quick to get on target.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IF your looking at .223 and money wasn't an issue, I would buy the Bushmaster AR-15 with the varmint barrel they are claiming .5 groups with those babys, they have fluted barrels, two stage triggers and are very light. but they are 1000.00 and then a gunsmile scope.

Posts: 21 | Location: American Fork, UT | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience as Gerry with the Mini Mauser. Nice comcept but it didn't work. The dealer I traded it to still had it 4 years later. I kept seeing it at shows for years.
The new Kimbers are awful nice and light and ACCURATE! Friend of mine has one in 270WSM that shoots 1.5" 3 shot groups consistantly!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99-my Montana looks identical to yours, coyote and all. Big Grin I shot a 'yote last week at a lasered 178 yds with a 58 gr V-Max. Dropped in his tracks and didn't even quiver. Wicked bullets at 3700 fps.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cz make a .223 carbine which I think weigh's only 6 odd pounds and has a 20 or 21" barrel it is timy and would be very light, it is also made in 7.3x39

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
... another vote for the TC Encore.Nothin' quite like the portability of a SSP. Not only r they light, but'll fit into a big daypack if desired.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
... another vote for the TC Encore.Nothin' quite like the portability of a SSP. Not only r they light, but'll fit into a big daypack if desired.

Yea, right Steve. What you can do with an Encore at 500 most guys can't do at 300 with a rifle.

But a Contender is my favorite rockchuck gun for the reasons you describe. I just get close.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 Carbine rebbled to 6 mm PPC which does OK

Bob Mehaffey

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John-- thks. for the vote of confidence. Good to hear from u.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My walking varminter is a H&R handi rifle in .223. It is very accurate using Winchester white box or UMC 45 grain bullets.

MN_Shooter

Pat Dietz

Posts: 1 | Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a .243 Ruger RSI yesterday. Nice looking and handling gun. The bolt is a bit rough.

Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't forget the Browning A-Bolt Hunter. 223 WSSM, 243 WSSM or 223 Rem are all in the super short action.

I shot my personal A-Bolt 223 Rem last week with 40 and 55 V-Max's, 0.32 and 0.36 3 shots at 100yrds. You don't need a heavy barrel to get good accuracy.

I have a Browning A-Bolt and get about the same results with Hornady V-Max bullets.

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote