THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    How many trappers do we have here?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many trappers do we have here?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was curious as to how many members here trap or are interested in trapping.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am interested. I have only read about it, but it seems like fun.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
Aquavit -
I've trapped in the past for Muskrat,Fox, and Coon. I didn't do it at all last year but may again this year. I think the trapper permit has gone up again this year though. Are you planning to do some or do you currently trap.
DOA

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I do some traping. Most of the trapping I have done is with the youth grupp in the local hunter and fisher club. We gor two martins and one weasel. (I'm not sure about the names in English, in Norwegian it is m�r and r�ykatt)
All where cought in winter in traps that kills instatly.

Last winter me and a friend did some trapping on our own. We didn't get anything. We use honey and grouse heads as bate.

We also built a crow trap this summer. We have bated it ones and have cought on crow. We ran out of bate but I guess the trap will be used all autum and winter.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DOA,

I mostly go for beaver simply because beaver trapping fits more easily into my current schedule. In the past, I've trapped mink, muskrat, fox, coon, and coyote. Growing up, I had several relatives that made respectable livings long-lining for fox, coyote, mink and beaver - but the fur prices were much better then.

I didn't get out last season either, but caught 20 beaver the season before. I think that I'll go for beaver and fox this year. I've really gotten the bug back lately.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
Johan -
I never ever thought about a crow trap. [Cool] I will make one up as soon as I can and let you know how I make out. Hey Aquavit ! what are the trapping laws on crows in PA? [Confused]
This should be a gas [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pigeon trap, but the crow trap sounds like fun!

DOA - I don't know about crow trapping in PA. They have a hunting season, so I would assume that you are limited only to the firearms listed in the regulations. It's worth a call to the G & F though. I think that I'll be making a call. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to trap for fox, bobcat and coon every year, but since the fur prices died, my trapping is mostly limited to nuisance beaver. I still love it though, nothing like hearing that chain rattle from a distance and wondering what you caught!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
Chain rattle and crow traps. [Cool] Aquavit if you find out let me know and I'll check too.
I'm ready! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

<CritrChik>
posted
Trapping was my dad's greatest passion, we never had a Thansgiving or Christmas like other families did. It was always spent making sets, checking traps, skinning and stretching. When my friends in high school went to Hawaii or skiing over Christmas break I was out in the desert with my dad skinning bobcats and putting them on stretchers.
Trapping is the best way to really learn about nature, you see things very differently on a walk in the woods than anyone else does.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CritrChik:
Trapping is the best way to really learn about nature, you see things very differently on a walk in the woods than anyone else does.

How true!!!

Makes me feel sorry for those who have never had the experience.......I remember one winter weekend when we had a bad ice storm, there was over an inch of ice on everything, but I still had to run my traps........it was unreal being alone out in the woods with branches snapping like gunshots and crashing to the ground. Most people were home in bed and they missed the beauty of it........

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
CritrChik
Must have been a great way to grow up!

(No hunting/traping in Christmas here in Norway.)

I'll try to draw a picture of the crow trap and a description when I got the time.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't trap as much as I once did but I still manage to run a small line most years for fox and muskrats. This year I am going to lay some steel for coyote and give that a try!

Posts: 70 | Location: MI | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Here is a drawing of a crow trap without the chickenwire.:
 -

Here is the picture I based my trap on:
 -

The crowes goes trough the "ladder" and down to the bate. When they go in they can't get out trough the ladder.

It workes best if it's bigger. Maybe 4x3m in the bottom and 3m high. It will trapp crows, ravens, guls magpie and simulare birds.

Johan

<CritrChik>
posted
Johan,
What furbearers are you allowed to take in Norway ? And with what equipment ?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've trapped since app. 1975, although the past few years have seen minimal activity due to the fur market plunge. Most of the recent trapping has been for nuisance coyotes, 'coons & bobcats.

But the fur market shows a glimmer of hope...so my fingers remain crossed.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
The fur animals that can be traped here is:
fox, badger, weasel, lynx, beaver, mink, muskrat, marten and an animal we call martenhound(I couldn't find the english name for this on).

Mink, muskrat and martenhound is all introdused and are regarded as pests with all year hunting and traping. Also ferret are introdused.

Different traps of conibear type and simularte traps that killes instantly can be used on fox, badger, martenhound, marten, beaver, mink, muskrat and weasel.

I don't know what you call it but logtraps/trapdoor where a log hits the animal in the head are legal. A big rock can also be used. I belive this type of trap is common in North America.

Bate scissors can be used on fox if plased so that it will snap over the foxes head on not fot. For example in a little stream.

Traps that traps the animal alive can be used on fox, bager, martenhound, mink, weasel and weasel.
This are traps like fox stall, boxstrap and tilting trap. This traps all trap the animnal unharmed and the traps must be lokked after everyday. Minktraps two times a day. 22Lr can be used to kill the traped animal from fox and down. Other rifles with more power can also be used.

The rules for traping is complicated and stict, not all metods are legal all over the contry. All traps must either kill the animal at once or trap it unharmed.

Snare is legal for grouse some places.

Johan

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of traps from a book I have:

Conibear and simulare trap:

-

Grouse snare:

-

Martentraping (This is the kind of trap I have used):

-

Logtrap:

-

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you've done it. I'm going crazy living in FL. I've got several thousand dollars in steel, stretchers, etc... and can't use it. I was a licensed damage control trapper and trapped year round. Peoples houses, agriculture, fur, you name it I trapped for it.
Critter chick is exactly right. If I wanted to hunt deer, I did it while running my line. I ran over 60 miles of trapline before being in formation at 0700 every morning and did resets after work. My partner and I bet each other fur value on which animal we would catch, how we would catch, and which leg he would be caught by (using steel).
Beaver trapping is the manliest sport I know of. Yes, I'd like a cape buffalo, but I've come closer to cashing in my chips trapping beaver than anything else so far. Nipple deep in ice water in 20 below weather is a test. A 74 pound beaver in a coon snare is also. I love them and for all of you who want to get close, ie. archery, short range, etc... try it.
Study though and do it right. We're under fire enough. Make sure you know how to use deer sticks, deter dogs, drown sets, double stakes, etc.... Otherwise, you'll get frustrated and likely make a mistake that gives all outdoorsmen a bad name. Take care and please post trapping experiences. I'm trying to put together a month to travel north and run beaver and canine lines. I'm also going to show some Floridians how to snare the otter and bobcats down here. They don't have a lot of hair but the cats are the size of greyhounds and the otters are huge, too. I'll tan them and make ornaments for trade, sale, or decoration in my office. I already have beaver, coyote, and coon skins all over the walls.
Best,
J

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've trapped coon and fox sporadically for thirty plus years in PA but don't have the time now and the prices are low. Now bobcat are becoming plentiful and I want one bad!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
I my self don't trap but the two women across the street from me are fur traders for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've ran various amounts of steel and cable since I was seven, 22 years of trapping. I've never run a super long line but my best season was over 75 raccoon, three fox, two coyotes, a bunch of skunk and opposum. This was the fall of my senior year at Iowa State University. I put all the coons, fox and coyote up and averaged $26.37 on my coon that year. Not bad coin for a broke college boy.
I'm planning on running a dry line for fox, coyote and those big ridge running coon this fall.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogworker:
...I've come closer to cashing in my chips trapping beaver than anything else so far.

Me too. I was running my line in North Dakota some years back when I managed to put my arm right through one of my 330 coni's... which was under about 1 1/2 feet of ice on a 10 degree day. No gauntlets, and I had taken my coat off and rolled up a sleave just before reaching in. DOH! [Embarrassed] Did I mention that the hole in the ice had closed in overnight and I couldn't pull everything back out?

I was positive I had a beaver in the trap and I just wanted to make sure. Really, he just jarred my poles loose and up-ended the set.

That was an interesting 30 minutes! My arm didn't work for about an hour afterwards because of the cold.

Lesson learned! [Embarrassed]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutt:
I my self don't trap but the two women across the street from me are fur traders for sure.

Ask them their views on the market and get back to us.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I trapped with my father when real young and then ran some on my own in high school. Prices were good and it was paying off a little. When I went into the service I sold my traps to my Dad and haven't trapped since. I set for muskrat, coyote, and bobcat. I even tried a few sets for mink and racoon. I would say looking back that I really never became very good at it though. I used baits my Dad was cooking up and think that they were to ripe to really attract coyotes and cats. We found a lot of our sets had been rolled on when we first got into it.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Death to all Americans>
posted
I consider myself a trapper. [Wink] I'm concentrating on two species of animals that are comparable to feral cats when it comes to killing indigenous species here in Finland. One is called Raccoon Dog in english (Nyctereutes procyonoides), the other is the mink (Mustela vison). Capture them alive and finish them off with a .22

[ 08-16-2002, 09:24: Message edited by: Ares ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aquavit,
I wish I could just chuckle and arrogantly call you a "dumb@$$" but that would be the pot calling the kettle black. Haven't caught myself in a 330 yet (knocking violently on wood) but I did get my finger tips in a #5 Montgomery drown set on a steep slick river bank. I finally got the wire cut, stuck my head into the freezing water and pulled the trap. It's amazing about beaver-they're the easiest critter to get in a trap but you damn near get killed setting them.
My biggest embarrassments came from the undead. I had a drowned mink try to eat me. Coons climb me. And muskrats can chew you up like a sewing machine.
One funny trapline story then I gotta go train. Caught a huge coon in a cornfield. Thumped him with my trowel because we were right behind the farmer's house. Put him in my truck and went on. Stopped to get gas. As I was leaning back against the truck, a lady was filling up across from me. She gave me the evil eye (hip boots, muddy, smelled of coyote gland lure, etc...) and then her eyes went wide and she screamed. I turned just in time to catch this big upset coon right in the face. Luckily he didn't bite and I still had a hog noose on him. But he still tried to scratch pieces off me. The fight was loud and the lady's screaming didn't help. I finally got the thing in a box trap, told her he came out of an attic and I was going to release him. She thought I was crazy. After everyone got to see the coon and ask me why all the other animals in my truck were dead, I left. At work I let him out of the havahart into a 220. As I'm writing this, he's still hanging over my desk.
Good trapping.
Jeff

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Near as I can figure it, I've been trapping for fourty three years now. Not as much as in the past, my uncle and I used to have a line of over three thousand traps at one time, mainly muskrat, mink, and coon. A tough all day and most of the night job in those years, but it was good money at the time. We used TerraTigers to cover the lines.
Mostly beaver and coyote now.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote