New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Shooting Platforms?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How's this for a varmint shooting platform?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2102115354since I can't get pictures to work on AR, even when following the given instructions.. killpc

Pictured are a couple of guests from Germany that I met on the forum here.. they had never been out varmint hunting in the USA, so I supplied the Firearms and they supplied the ammo for themselves...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post

Does this help?
Just trying to be helpful

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have $600 for steel or $900 for Aluminum Varmint master

If all that gear is too pricy:

Varmint Al sits in a lounge chair and shoots with two sticks screwed together.

I was not well prepared in 2005, and shot from the car:

And prone:

I can lie down prone and shoot, but last year my brother laid down on some alfalfa and got up hardly able to breathe from an asthmatic reaction.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ally OOPER!

Thanks, eh? thumb

Hows tings up on da OO P eh? wave

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
Seafire, nice outfit. what are all of the hooks used for?

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the trailer idea, yours looks great. I've been thinking about one to do double duty hauling my raft to the rivers for fishing and being able to set two benches on it for rat smacking. Might be this summers project, until then and beings how I varmint hunt alone a lot this is my set up for field crawling.

For the times the wife goes with I sure like the trailer idea. Thanks for the pics.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$3.5k

$3k

$550

$450

$430 with seat/box

$319

$150

$100

Free stuff, just put a bracket on your tri-pod

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

I have $750.00 into the trailer and just the labor and the cost of the nuts and bolts to build the rack, which isn't really for varmint shooting... more for the duty it does for Boy Scouts..the wood was also free since it was for Boy Scouts... Reject lumber from a local mill...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
You reached the $3.5k level with $750. thumb

If I buy and/or build in Montana this year or just support someone who does, I am going to have to get a trailer hitch, tail light wires, and a trailer.

In 1982 I built a large house with a Honda civic pulling a 14" boat on a trailer. I could put a sling of 2x4s in the boat.

Employees at the lumber yard would laugh at me.
Life is tough when you are cheap skateSmiler

I once put 8 full sized sheep in the hatch back of a Saab 903. I really got looks on the freeway THAT day. The sheep's wool was compressed. They did not need seat belts.

The worst was hauling 6 wiener pigs in the hatch back of a 2 seater Honda CRX. They had diarrhea. Later hitch hikers would ask what was causing the smell.

How cheap am I?
Every storm I go to Lake Washington to find lumber that gets swept away from docks.
I have lots of big planks.
I have not figured out how it fits together in a varmint rest. But I will.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post

Hey Seafire, hows this for a pd shooting platform??? clap

Do I win?? Big Grin

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naw,

Mobility sucks....

Bonus points for height, and field of view tho! thumb

BOOM

posted Hide Post
I got to build me one of them trailers I think I can fix it up for varments and duck and goose decoys both, maybe fix up an option to haul deer blinds and other stuff.

You cannot always live as you wish, but you must always live as you can

Posts: 14 | Location: SW Kansas 5 miles from the middle of nowhere | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gabriel
posted Hide Post
Does that gear come with cupholders? Big Grin

Survival of the fittest? That's just natural selection.

Posts: 117 | Location: ND/United States | Registered: 14 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does that gear come with cupholders?

Of course it does!

I painted the word 'Toyota' on the back of my trailer and installed 27 cup holders! thumb

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Eeker You guys are starting to scare me now!!

Doesn't anybody sit on the GROUND anymore? Confused

Next thing ya know, you guys will be wearing a tux out there!! cigar

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Here are so photos from my last trip back to where I grew up in Colorado. My good Marine Corps buddy, my Brother and I where shooting on a friends ranch. Very simple but works. The after noon in the shade was great but the pasture grass was deep. We absolutly desimated the PD's. Just over 2000 rnds each in 5 days.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/wjbarks/100_0256.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/wjbarks/100_0060_edited-1-1.jpg

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:

Naw Mike, We are a bunch of Candy Asses out this way anymore! All of that California influences...

As far as Tuxes for varmint shooting, Cabelas can set you up with several designs in Advantage Forest Camo, Mossy Oak patterns etc...

Available with Tails or without, or with matching cumberbun if desired...

Also don't forget to check out their matching selection of Top Hats... YOU can get one to match your rifle in Advantage Camo and Mossy Oak also...

Matching Neglegies are also available for the Mrs...

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:

Naw Mike, We are a bunch of Candy Asses out this way anymore! All of that California influences...

As far as Tuxes for varmint shooting, Cabelas can set you up with several designs in Advantage Forest Camo, Mossy Oak patterns etc...

Available with Tails or without, or with matching cumberbun if desired...

Also don't forget to check out their matching selection of Top Hats... YOU can get one to match your rifle in Advantage Camo and Mossy Oak also...

Matching Neglegies are also available for the Mrs...

Let's see, I need something that doesn't show the cow manuear, clover/alfalfa that sticks to the seat of my pants, grass stains and groundhog blood.... But I can wear it to the office, and will match my Jerry Garcia ties... bewildered Talk about a "Power Suit"!!!Cool

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rotating benches are similar.

The Varmint Master $575:

Big Shooter $450:

Coyote Jakes $379:

Anyone know any advantages of one over another?
I can see one:
1) The more they take out of you wallet, the more padding they give your butt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

for about $300.00 we can put together a trailer for ya, and a chair with a table in it, will more than suffice...

There are a few places locally that sell set ups like in those pictures for $129.00 to $189.00 if you want one of those bad enough..

seafire
cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
Rather than a trailer, my wild hair today is to build higher like in this picture DMCI* posted from Burns:

I have 4 boards and 4 pieces of metal on my roof, that took a couple hours. Those make a platform 42 x 49"

It needs to be bigger per the following Varmint Masters drawing:

I could mount a rotating bench on my roof with just two more boards.

I have already assured the wife that it will not be permanent.

I have not figured out a graceful way to climb up there yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint masters in West Texas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Varmint Master, built a rack, and put the 360 degree turret on the roof.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that Paul up there with your Ruger # 1?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted a picture of my platform, so I tricked him into being a prop, by saying, "Paul, climb on top of my car and shoot my gun."

When I built the platform, I climbed up through the sunroof.
But when I went on a trip, the car was so full of junk, that my way was blocked.
I learned to use the passenger door armrest as a step.

And as I learned while shooting on Tuesday at 4116 feet altitude, when it is snowing, cold, and windy, on top of the car is not a comfortable place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the one I made that fits in the bed of my truck. When I'm going from field to field I'll load it up, otherwise I sit on the ground and use a bipod. I've got an attachment that fits on the back for an umbrella if it gets too hot. I'm a cheapskate so I made the rifle rest too Big Grin

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome DEC....

that looks like a pretty complete set up in my book...

but back east you guys use that for ground hogs right???

when I went out shooting sage rats last weekend, I got off 185 rounds between 2:30PM to 6:00 PM....out of a 223.. that is why a platform helps a lot...

I was shooting off the hood of my 4 Runner that day tho...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC:
Here's the one I made that fits in the bed of my truck. When I'm going from field to field I'll load it up, otherwise I sit on the ground and use a bipod. I've got an attachment that fits on the back for an umbrella if it gets too hot. I'm a cheapskate so I made the rifle rest too Big Grin

Holy cow.
My roof rack could get a cub scout check mark, but there would be a scout merit badge for your rifle rest.

No wonder you only have 6 posts, you have been making stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes we hunt ground hogs and the damn things are EVERYWHERE! I can't kill them fast enough to keep the farmers happy. It doesn't help that I wait until they've had their young though Razzer It's as close as I can get to PD hunting and the little ones are really stupid.

Here's a closer pic of my rifle rest. I just can't see buying something when I can make it.

There always seems to be something you can improve on that make it's more suitable to your own needs, so why not if you can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DEC,

That looks like a Boyd's Stock.. or a Richards Microfit...

What action is that on your rifle, and is the barrel factory or custom?

Either way, you fit right in here, with your taste in varmint wasters...

definitely a nice looking rig...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire/B17G

The rifle started started out as a new Remington 700 Varmint in .22-250. I removed the factory stock and put it on an old Rem 722 in .222 Rem. You're right about the stock on this one, it's a Boyds. I believe they call it the Walking Varminter. I bought it unfinished and bedded it to the action after I trued it up. The scope you see has been replaced with a new Leupold 6.5X20. It'll print under 3/8" groups with Hornadys 55gr V-Max and my longest shot to date on a whistle pig is 528yds. I was able to get the factory trigger down to acceptable levels so I left it in. The rifle is pretty much stock except for what I've done to it. It almost seems unfair when I hunt them with this rig but I love it! I particularly like it when they just stick their head out of a hole "thinking" you can't see them Big Grin
I almost had it rechambered to the Ackley Imp. but it shoots plenty good for what I'm doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

thanks for the report on the rifle..nice rig definitely...

My last time out shooting sage rats, I took a head shot at one at 250 yds or so, when it was sticking it's head out of its hole...

It was a head shot and it was bouncing around the hole for about a 10 to 15 yd radius, I had aimed between its eyes on about 8 power, out of a Remington VLS in 223, with a 5 to 20 power Tasco World Class Plus on top...the load was 13.5 grains of Blue Dot with a 55 grain FMJ... a cheap but accurate load.. I use it when I don't to worry too much if the shots riccochet some...The target presented was about the size of a half dollar at that distance...

I had a good rest off the hood of my 4 Runner....

Stuff like that sure is fulfilling isn't it???

cheers
seafire
beer

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I couldn't stand, "pun", it any more. I just ordered a 5'x10' trailer. It will do double duty, I have a new Yamaha "Rhino 660" that will also see duty in our West Desert. Heck of a way to blow a grand..... I wonder what the regulations are regarding the maximum length of a rig running down the highway, I've got a trailer too...

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:

Does this help?
Just trying to be helpful

Big Grin Al

I can just see myself hanging from one of those hooks, by my eye-socket.

Posts: 6357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Mike,

that is what you call paying attention to what you are doing...

Those hooks are because the trailer's main duty is for my son's boy scout troop...

on a trip, that trailer had 18 bicycles hanging from those hooks, with tons of scout gear down below...

for varmint shooting, that is why you use a table and watch it when you stand up....

a little common sense can go a long way at times...

of course you can use a fence post, just like the old fashion way...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Well Mike,

that is what you call paying attention to what you are doing...

Those hooks are because the trailer's main duty is for my son's boy scout troop...

on a trip, that trailer had 18 bicycles hanging from those hooks, with tons of scout gear down below...

for varmint shooting, that is why you use a table and watch it when you stand up....

a little common sense can go a long way at times...

of course you can use a fence post, just like the old fashion way...

I can see it now. I smoke a critter at 565 yards, jump up for high-five's, then it's permanent eye-patch time.

That's why I 'idiot-proof' all my stuff. For myself....

Nice trailer though. Getting just a couple of feet up makes a big difference.

The trailer way, there's no festering of the cactus needles in the knees for a week after you get back.

Posts: 6357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those hooks would also come in handy to hang those prairie dogs while field dressing them for dinner! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those hooks would also come in handy to hang those prairie dogs while field dressing them for dinner!

Good point Don!!!

I'll have to try that out on the sage rats next time I go out for them little critters...

Good to see ya off the crater also!!! salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's how we do it for squirrels in california. One person drivin, another in the lawnchair in the bed, roll around and stop whenever the ground starts movin.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/mustanggreg66/200...%20Tony/IMG_5117.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/mustanggreg66/200...%20Tony/IMG_5124.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/mustanggreg66/200...%20Tony/IMG_5214.jpg

BTW: howd you guys post multiple pictures in a post and have it go down the page? Whenever I post multiple pix they end up going across the post horizontally.