New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. Model 70 Coyote Lite
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody handled one of these yet, or better yet, own one/fired one? Considering getting the wife one in .223 for a little varmint rig, would like get some field reports first, though...

Model 70, Coyote Lite, Stainless

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
tmoore4627
read this and check out the threads under my name before you buy a whinchester. I have a whole pile of rem 700's and none have ever given me problems.
Dr B

Dr B
one of us
Posted 13 September 2005 22:24

I bought a new in the box mod 70 .25 wssm. for whiteail and other small game. On my first trip to the range I brought some win factory loads 100gr supreme. When I fired them the bolt was difficult to lift the handle but I continued to zero the scope and the shoot some groups. This gun shot worst than any gun I have ever fired. 3-4 inches at 100 yards was the best group. so I checked the scope cleaned the gun and tried again another day the results were tyhe same. I could not belive my results so I took the gun to my gunsmith and had him remount the scope and then took the gun to a local guy that makes realy good custom ammo and left it with him to work up a load,after a few days He called me and said to come pick up my rifle that he could not make it shoot. I called winchester and the service people treated me like I was a idoit and were no help.Just told me to send them the rifle.
I talked to my gunsmith he said that in his experince that they would send the gun back and say there was nothing wrong with it. I belive Him after my conservation.
I'm stuck with a gun that I can't feal good about selling so I guese I'll let Kevin Weaver rebarrel and square my action. around $600.
Has anyone else had thes problemes with winchester.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tmoore4627: I handled one yesterday in Missoula, Montana. I kind of liked its feel balance and looks.
My immediate thought when I first saw it was - imitation is the sincerest from of flattery!
And I thought of this old axiom at that instant, as the whole Rifle was simply a copy "ala Winchester" of the popular Remington LV-SF series of Rifles.
Granted the Winchester has 2" more barrel and I think that is a plus.
If one is attracted to the looks and feel of the Rifle it would probably be worth the investment to give one a try. At $881.00 (MSRP) it seems pricey - I have already forgotten what the real world price at Sportsmans warehouse was for this rig?
Good for Winchester though offering more models in more calibers!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I had a Winchester Model 70 classic in 7Rem Mag it shot great the action was smooth and groups were good at 100 yards .75 and less. I got bit by the 30cal magnum itis and sold it to a friend. It was/is a great rifle sorry to hear that yours was a lemon.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DrB, did you try having the gunsmith bedding it properly and adjusting the trigger? This will usually solve the problem and costs quite a bit less than a barrel job.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote