New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've ordered a 204 Ruger (cz527 varmint). It's purpose is primarily to be a walk around varminter for coyotes. If I make it out west to shoot prarie dogs, it will serve along with my savage model 10 heavy barrel in .223. What bullets should I use for each application? Locally, I have found Sierra 32 grain blitzking, 32 and 40 grain vmax, and 50 grain bergers. Also, where is everyone getting reloading data? I'd like to use AA2230, since it is already on my bench, but none of the manuals I could find in any of the stores had load info for .204. I wasn't able to find it on the Accurate Arms website, either. Hogden has it, but I don't have any Hogden powder, although I could buy some, I like to keep a low number of powders on my bench. My hornady manual has data for the tactical 20. Does it make sense to just use that data and stay away from the minimum?

Posts: 45 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buck tail!! You have a PM with some data!! Wink Wink Let me know if you get it!! Charlie Milliron (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM recieved. Thank you very much, Charlie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
found more load data; apparently the search function is case sensitive. Anyone think that I should have any reservations about using a 39 or 40 grain bullet on coyotes?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at www.204ruger.com

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bucktail, It's been up here about three hours now and nobody seems to be forthcoming on objections!! So I'd say send the 39SIERRAS and the 40 grain Hornadys home to roost in the old coyote!!! BT, DT!!! The 32 grain Hornadys work fine with shot placement!!! Haven't had the oppurtunity with the 32 SIERRA but figure it would be superior on the given job!!! Sierra bullets offer the best of both worlds!! ACCURRACY and END RESULT!! No real hype, just performance at realistic prices!! The VMAXS are undoubtedly pretty darn good!! Offering outstanding accurracy and end result "DEVASTATION"(y'all catch that little plug?????) but at a higher price!!! Try the SIERRA BK and tell us if you don't like them!!! GHD PS: Fur don't mean squat down here in the south!! We shoot VARMINTS!!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 39 gr Sierras are at the top of my list for the prairie dogs ; if you are out in any wind at all . Some claim they are too soft for coyotes , but I can't say myself ; they do get you plenty of exsplosiveness out to at least a quarter mile on the p. dogs .

Of the bullets on your list , I'd guess the 40 V-Max would be the best bet for the yotes . The fur hunters are claiming 35 and 40 gr Bergers are the pick of the litter for that chore....lots of load data at 204ruger.com .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4911043/m/566109233

Try using the AR search function. There's lots of info stored there if ya just have a look.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did get the search function to work after I had already posted; needed to capitilize Ruger. Varmintguy seems to have had some luck using 32 grain BK's, but I plan on starting with 39's if I can find them locally, otherwise I will see how vmaxes shoot. It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. It will probably get a steel tube Weaver 4-12 that I have laying around for now.