New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes, close up.
 Login/Join

<XTARHEEL>
posted
Shot a nice Coyote on the job site the other day. Walked back in the woods and gave a call and he came running up. Popped him with my Thompson Contender carbine in .223 at about 20 yards. The one before that, I was about to give up on my turkey hunt, so I blew my preditor call and one came in and I dusted him at 15 yards with my 12 guage. Now I was thinking about trying one with my .45 Blackhawk Bisley. Was wondering if anyone did any varmint hunting with iron sighted revolvers. It seems pretty easy to get them in close.

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I got one once with my 45 Long Colt revolver but I perfer to use my Yote rifle.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What calls do you use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not many coyotes in the southwest are dumb enough to get close enough for a pistol shot. There has been a LOT of calling over the years and most of the critters have gotten either smart or dead.

Fox are another story.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<XTARHEEL>
posted
I am using a cheap Lohman mouth call. Supposed to sound like a dying cottontail. I don't think many people call coyotes around here so they are pretty bold. I'm hoping one will move in to take over this guy's territory so I'll try again latter this week. Shure is exciting to have them run in!

<Goob3723>
posted
You want a lot of fun try a bow.

<FarRight>
posted
What load do you use in your 12 gauge for yotes? I have a Wingmaster 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel. I recently acquired an extra full turkey choke and have been looking forward to patterning some 00 buckshot through it. Got me curious as to what load I'd use for coyotes in cover and what range I could be effective at.

<XTARHEEL>
posted
The one I got with my 12 ga was one of those duplex turkey loads that I just happened to have in my Model 12. The range was short enough that anything would have worked. I did pick up a 5-pack of #4 Buck the other day. Thought I'd give that a try next time I try with a shotgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a pack of 8 the opening morning of archery season this year, missed one (not sure how) at 15 yards. He stopped, but was looking up right at me.

Dad got one yesterday when he was out Turkey hunting. He was moving slow and calling, when a young male coyote stepped out of the brush at 20 yards. Dad said those Turkey loads put him down instantly. Not sure what shot size he used (had to be #4-#6), but pretty sure they were 3" mags out of a full choke.

At least 7 to go....

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<XTARHEEL>
posted
By the way, here is a picture of this guy. A pretty nice size I think.

www.channahonbaseball.com/scan0004.jpg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice 'yote XTARHEEL!
Congratulations

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<azmike>
posted
i used an old jc higgins model 20 sears androebuck 2 3/4 in 00 Buck, med choke most of the time. Have dropped yotes as far as 75 yards at a slow trot. Got a Bobcat with a shotgun (i won it at the pvci meeting with the turkey foundation speaking, for a 5 buck raffel ticket)I was told not to shoot 00 buck out of the barrel with a xx turkey choke in it. I bought a modified choke, and got a bobcat at 65 yards one in the lungs and on through the upper part of her neck. dropped in 1 step. not sure if i need to get a different choke or not. any info...
to see pics... [URL=mikes pics ]mikes pics[/URL]

<azmike>
posted
the shotgun was a mossberb model 500a

one of us
posted Hide Post
xtarheel... why are you holding the neighbors dog by its neck? [Big Grin] nice yote!
take care smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a coyote master in Tejas that uses an MP-1 with 3" #4 BS when the mesquites leaf out. He double taps it, the first one thins the vegetation and the second one usually lets the air out of the coyote up to 75 yds.

Saludos..Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
<XTARHEEL>
posted
I always remove the collar before I take the picture!