New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver V16 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Presently I have a 4.5 X 14 X 40 Leupold Tactical scope on my 223. I am going to move that scope to my 308 to replace a Tasco S.S. fix 20X. I am considering buying a V16 with 1/4 MOA dot reticle. The question is how many MOA of verticle adjustment does this scope have? I can not find that information in the specifications anywhere on any site. Also the turrets don't appear to be a true target type of turret. Can the turrets be zeroed after sighting in like target turrets can?

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver V16 with a 1/8 retical.

quote:
The question is how many MOA of verticle adjustment does this scope have?

Even though I own one, I don't know???

quote:
Can the turrets be zeroed after sighting in like target turrets can?

No.

I dropped my muzzle a couple of weeks ago while calling yotes. I was no higher than 6" and it hit the ground with an impact that wouldnt normally bother me. My scope was hitting 5" higher, 7" from line of sight after the bump. I had a couple of misses before discovering this.

My Leupolds have taken one hell of a beating and held their zero.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only V16 - about 7 years old - has 60 mins of total travel. i.e. 30 mins available each way from centre. This is for both eleveation and windage.

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Papa 260:
Also the turrets don't appear to be a true target type of turret. Can the turrets be zeroed after sighting in like target turrets can?

PaPa 260

Yes they can. Hold the turret and unscrew the nut in the center. Pull the turret off and rotate it to the "0" position and reinstall the nut. I have the 1/8" dot on fine crosshairs and really like it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the quick replies. Since I have a 1 in 9 twist barrel, 20 MOA bases and sometimes shoot at plates out to 1K with this 223, I was wanting something with at least 50 MOA total verticle adjsutment and turrets that could be zeroed. I have not used anything but Leupolds didn't know anything about the Weaver. I don't expect it be the same quality as the Leupolds I use, but it looks like it has the features I want so I think I will try one. One more question, how does the optical clarity compare to Leupold Vari X lll. Again, thanks for the quick replies.

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PaPa 260....

As a suggestion, Look up Lee Dot Reticles... they can also add some mil dot or ballistic plex type of reticles to a Weaver for a decent price....

I have a couple of 3 x 9s being sent their way for just that....

As far as the V 16, I only have one, but I love it... I should actually retire a few of my scopes for that one... however, I keep spending too much money on more bullets for all the shooting I do...

But the V 16 is a dam good scope.... I have recently horsetraded for a new Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 that has the Mil Dots already in there... I sure like that scope also... with the side focus...

if you have too many rifles like me, then both are an alternative to a 4.5 x 14 Leupold.....or its price... LoL....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just bought a V24 to go with the 6.5-284 I'm building but this one I got with the Mildot reticle. I think I like the 1/8 minute dot better for aiming at small targets but I wanted the mildot for long range.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Papa260: I have several of the Weaver V-16 scopes now and in fact just wheeled and dealed for another one at a Gunshow two weeks ago.
All of my other Weavers have the Du-plex type crosshairs and I prefer them. This latest Weaver V-16 though is the "1/8th" inch dot type. The previous owner claims it was a "1/8th" inch dot! It could very well be a 1/4" inch dot - I don't know!
I will say this though - the Weavers I have in use on Varminters right now are splendid scopes in several regards, that I feel I should relay to you.
First off the Weaver V-16's track EXACTLY as advertised! Moving the click adjustments results in the exact distance of movement anticipated and "compound" movements of the adjustments (like 2 1/2" of up and 1 1/4" right clicks at the same time result in bullet impact moving 2 1/2" up and 1 1/4" right!) are reliably made.
My Weaver V-16's have been in use for 7 years or so for the oldest ones and they maintain P.O.I. on my fiberglass stocked Varminters very reliably!
I have V-16's on 223's, 243's and on a 220 Swift I will be using for night calling of Coyotes exclusively.
This latest Weaver V-16 will be going on a Ground Squirrel Rifle! Thus I think I can live with the tiny dot and fine crosshairs!
I think they are a very good bargain for the dollars spent on them!
I started buying the V-16's when I could get them for $190.00. I paid $200.00 for this latest AS NEW V-16!
And again I think that was money VERY well spent!
Papa260 I will gladly get this new Weaver out and spin the dials all the way and relay that to you so you can compute that to MOA for your information if you still need that done?
And unfortunately I do not fully understand the last inquiry you posted "can the turrets be zeroed after adjustment"? If I understand you correctly you want to know if the scope has the ability on its windage and elevation adjustments to return "a pointer" to the "zero" marking on its adjustment turrets?
Like my Leupolds are able to do!
My answer to your question is - NO. There are small and somewhat hard to read scale graduations (with no numbers!) under the twistable target turrets! This may suffice for your needs but again there are numbers on the twistable turrets and the graduation lines under the twistable turrets are also small and somewhat hard to see/read (impossible for me to read without glasses!).
With your good vision or with my glasses I think I would be very able to align the zero number (whatever it is?) and a graduation line - move the adjustments to add elevation or windage and then return to "zero" if that is your intention!
Again I recommend the Weaver and will get to counting clicks and revolutions as soon as possible to relay that to you.
Good luck if you decide to try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold: I should have read your post before I answered Papa260.
Are you talking about the knurled screw head looking "thingies" in the center of the turrets, as being "removable" or "screwable"?
I am unable to get my knurled "screw heads" to either loosen or tighten with finger pressure! Should a person use a small vise grip or something to break these loose?
Thanks in advance!
Long live Weaver!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
After my V-16 rose 5 inches a couple of weeks ago, it has now rose on me again another 3 inches. Vertical only. It's mounted on a heavy barrel 243 so recoil is not a factor.

All mount and ring screws are tight. bewildered

Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
After my V-16 rose 5 inches a couple of weeks ago, it has now rose on me again another 3 inches. Vertical only. It's mounted on a heavy barrel 243 so recoil is not a factor.

All mount and ring screws are tight.

Boilerroom, unfortunately dropping a rifle on its crown causes "reverse recoil" which is why high-powered air rifles destroy regular riflescopes. It can pull the erector tube away from its mount and causes the lense group to go out of adjustment.

I would send it back to Weaver and have it fixed.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Fjold: I should have read your post before I answered Papa260.
Are you talking about the knurled screw head looking "thingies" in the center of the turrets, as being "removable" or "screwable"?
I am unable to get my knurled "screw heads" to either loosen or tighten with finger pressure! Should a person use a small vise grip or something to break these loose?
Thanks in advance!
Long live Weaver!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I put a small scrap of cloth over the knurled screw head and loosened them with a pair of needlenose pliers. Then I unscrewed them by hand and "zeroed" the turret and reinstalled the thumb screws.

These guys are making custom turrets for the Weaver series scopes and will build one to match the trajectory of a particular load if you want them too.
http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold: Thanks a million for the info!
I have scraps of tanned leather (buckskin) laying about for when I want to save the knurling on my loading die rings. I will try some of that as it works so well at saving the newness and finish of the die ring knurls.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:

All mount and ring screws are tight.

Boilerroom, unfortunately dropping a rifle on its crown causes "reverse recoil" which is why high-powered air rifles destroy regular riflescopes. It can pull the erector tube away from its mount and causes the lense group to go out of adjustment.

I would send it back to Weaver and have it fixed.

Looks like that's what I'll be doing. Thought nothing of it at the time because it was less than a foot off the ground and I never let go of the butt end of the rifle. My Leupolds have seen a lot worse than that. All have served me well over the years.

Too many people........