New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Hunter Magazine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got my new issue (October 2,005) issue of "The Varmint Hunter Magazine" and after a quick perusal of all the pictures and the advertisemnts I have read a couple of the articles.
My opinion stays the same this is not only the best Varminting type magazine out there its one of the best ever Hunting magazines of all time!
Beautifully done and a no nonsense, no clutter pretty honest publication - well worth the price I pay for it!
Just some outstandingly interesting articles in this issue!
Long live the VHA and Varmint Hunter Magazine!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VHA Life Member #185
PS: Way to go Peter Fowler (my friend) for the nifty little article on your Hunting the Rock Chucks article with your "Magnum" Air Rifle!

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG there is no doubt that we agree on this one!

I've enjoyed it for years.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
agreed - my only problem is they published one of my favorite PD spots a bit ago & now i'd have to take a number to shoot there

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is probably my #1 issue with a lot of gun rags.

Nevertheless this rag I still like.

Mark D

on a side note I've been fairly successful in my persuit of bruins, and a fairly large rag editor wanted to do an article. I said sure , but then he wanted me to divulge exactly where I was hunting. That killed the article right now! He said it is worth some good $ to you and I said no thanks.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey you guys from montanna - anybody run into jack rush lately?? before the varmit hunter mag. he was trying to do a prairie dog news thing. I wwrote an article for it but it never got off the ground. Never did really meet him face to face, but writing back & forth I wish i could

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also am a big fan of Varmint Hunter magazine. I find the articles very well done. My only reservation is that most of the articles focus on the western part of the country, and my primary area of iterest is in the east, but it's still an excellent publication, one we can all enjoy. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if this magazine takes subscriptions from people from the land downunder? This sounds like the kind of a publication I'd be keen to get hold off.....

Cheers,
Benno

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oops, Just surfed the web and answered my own question...the answer is yes!

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 10 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchbloc: Are you making reference to the "International Varmint Hunter Magazine"?
Jack Rush was the "founder" of that magazine and organization. That magazine was published out of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for a couple of years. I have several issues of that magazine still and it was wonderful in this regard - it was very area or Hunting site specific! I save these issues for that reason alone! The exact spots the Varminters went to and Hunted was spelled out! I have had people try to buy them from me but I refuse. It gets a little dicey when they ask for "photocopies" though!
Anyway it is my understanding (and I have little interest in) that apparently a squabble and a legal civil case that led to Mr. Ned Kalbfleish (sp ?) eventually owning and running the now newly named "Varmint Hunters Association" and "The Varmint Hunter Magazine".
The VHA is of course a huge organization compared to the very limited membership of the IVA of the late 1980's and early 1990's. No I have not met him (Mr. Rush - I have met Mr. Kalfleish a couple of times) nor run across Mr. Rush or what he may be doing now, myself.
Long live the VHA!
http://www.varminthunter.org/
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VHA Life Member #185

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info VG - from my communications with jack he must be a hell of a varmiteer & I'd kinda like to meet him and swap some stories

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw some articles he wrote awhile back in PS Publications. He might be on the magazines masthead. I'll have to check it in the A.M.

Hey VG-- i also have some of the old IVHA mags. in my collection. Interesting mag. i thought.

Is there an article in the new mag. called-- On the Tactical Pursuit of Coyotes??

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sscoyote: Negative search results on that title! There are two other articles on Coyote Hunting though - #1 = "Different Methods Of Getting Into Wily's Back Yard" and #2 = "Its All About The Numbers - Counting Coyotes: Quality Of Coyotes Or Quality Of The Hunt"?

I have not read either of these as yet!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Well, I just joined the club and should be getting the magazine soon. If you guys are right it should be a good use of $30. So far the only magazine I can put up with is Fish-Fur& Game (Very good rag!).

Shane

-------------------------
I saw a girl with a shirt that said Guess, so I said Thyroid problem?

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote