New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 700 VS .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just ordered (not yet recieved) a Rem. 700 VS in .223. It has a black syn. stock and no flutes. It is a discontinued model, I'am told. Just wondering if any of you have/had this rifle and your opinion of it. Will it need some work to make it a real shooter ? Thanks in advance, Mike

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
I have a shooting buddy that bought one just a couple of months ago. we took it to the range and with premium factory ammo was shooting 1/2 moa pretty much everytime, and had a couple that were pushing 1/4 moa. If that is any indicator you should be fine.

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one and it IS accurate with handloads (.4s are the norm). The VS has a 1 in 12 twist which shoot the lighter weight bullets(less than 55). LTRs have 1 in 9 for heavier (55-60 grains). Mine has a 26 in. barrel and HS Precision stock. You will probably want work on the trigger a little. The only downside is the weight. When scoped it is fairly heavy but it all depends on what your used too.

Posts: 10 | Location: Columbus, GA | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, that I strictly use for shooting ground squirrels... It has a Nikon 6.5 x 20 scope on it...

The load that is its constant diet, is 14.5 grains of blue dot and a 46 grain Win HP.. with an MV of 3250 fps....

Ground squirrels within 250 yds are toast! that 46 grain HP turns them virtually inside out!

Very very accurate rifle....

oh, and trigger adjusted down to varmint status!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod: I have several Varminters in caliber 223 Remington and three of them are factory stock Remington 700's. All the Remingtons shoot very well.
I am hoping your VS Varminter will shoot well for you once it gets here! Chances are about 95% that you WILL be happy with that Remington VS. Don't hesitate to put plenty of scope power on that Remington by the way. My favorite scope for all around Varminting on my 223's is the Leupold 6.5x20 variable!
Be sure to try the wonderful Sierra 50 gr. Blitz bullets in it once it gets here.
I have had very good luck accuracy wise with this bullet in many of my 223's.
Also you may as well start scouting the local Riflesmiths for one who will properly adjust your Remington 700's trigger. I do my own trigger adjusting but if you are not familiar with trigger jobs then go with a trusted Riflesmith for this minor chore.
Good luck and be sure and let us know how it works out for you in the accuracy department!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Y'all want a big dog Remington Varminter???? How about a .308, non -fluted, SS , set in an H-S Precision stock, in the box with the labels attached that say, :"Mil Spec. #5" barrel. those are the ones for the SEALS! $825.00 plus shipping from Madison, NC(Remington headquarters!!) Let me know!!! GHD PS: THe trigger on this one FROM THE FACTORY BREAKS AT ABOUT 24 oz!!! I would take it home but the .308 sucks hind tit to the dedicated varminters built from it!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Rem. 700VS in 220 Swift. The only thing that has been done to it is a trigger job. The gun for a factory job just plain shoots. As noted above it is no lightweight, but I shoot a heavy gun much better than a light one. I think you will be pleased with your choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. I anticipated the trigger job and figured the accurracy out the box would be good, but I'll see. Still waiting for the thing to get here. I have a Leupold 6.5-20 on a .22-250 and frankly hate to spend that much again. Was considering the Nikon in a 5.5-16.5x44 but I also see where several wholesalers are offering a Burris Fullfield 11 4.4-14X42 scope with a free 12-24X50 spotting scope for about the same money as the Nikon. What do you think ?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 700 VS in .223 a while back. I sold it about a year ago in order to provide cash for a new bike. The rifle was excellent, right out of the box. I mostly shot 50-55 grain projectiles over Winchester 748 and Hodgdon H-335. At 100 yards, groups were consistently under .5 in. Mostly in the .3 range; and I seldom have a decent rest - usually shooting over a pack and/or a rolled up shirt or towel. I used it to hunt only a few times. I shot lots of targets with it and actually became bored with it because it was so easy to punch out tiny groups with it. Also, including a 6-18X scope, it was heavy. Some day soon, I hope to replace it with a Remington model Seven, or perhaps an ADL that I will have to do some work on. If you want an accurate, robust, reliable rifle that you don't have to mess with in order to get it to shoot good, then I highly recommend the 700 VS. Good handloads are a must, IMHO. I figure that everyone in this forum is loading their own anyway.

Posts: 68 | Location: Dayton, OH USA | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, you are certainly on the right track here. That rifle will be heavy, but I bet it shoots great. The trigger job is to be expected these days. But that is about all that gun will need, I would guess.

In regards to the scope, I know what you are saying about the price of a new 6.5X20 Leupold.

I really like the 4.5X14 that I have on my own .223 Remington. However, for a reasonable priced scope I would go with the Leupold VX-II in the 4X12 power with the AO. I had one recently and it was a very good scope. I sold since the rifle I had it on was a lemon. (A Winchester in .223 WSSM.) The guy I sold it to liked it so much he turned around and bought another one!

In regard to the .223, if you like ball powders try H 335 or 748. I personally swore off all ball powders and now shoot N 130 in my .223 Rem.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a vssf 22/250 which I sold and regret it a bit but I wanted a heavy barrelled .243 and I got a Rem vls but up graded to the hs stock. The rem heavy barreled guns shoot great, I have another heavy rem 700 in .300 RUM and that is a shooter as well.

For a varmint gun there hard to beat especially with all the goodies around for them.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote