THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Bullet selection for Hides... HELP

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet selection for Hides... HELP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some voices of experience here. Shooting a 22-250, and in the past it's not been a big deal cause we were just hunting coyotes. Using 50g ballistic tips, and they blow a patch of fur off the other side the size of a dinner plate. Well we've gotten into a few bobcats and we want to load something in the 50g range that will be easy on hides but will still put a coyote down without having to track him a half mile. Are there any good bullets out there that would fit the bill in this case??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bearcat-believe it or no we've done some testing of hard (preme) bullets on yotes--to date they've shown promise.

They are of course a bit more expensive than others but here is a thought.

Barnes X 50 or 53

Trophy Bonded 55 I believe it is

Keep your bullets away from the shoulder on a side shot and away from the breastbone on a frontal. That'll help a bit as well.

Just some things to mull over.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for the information on the bullets. The Barns bullets are awsome bullets but they are really expensive.

What about the Hornady 50g Spire points?? just plane soft point bullets? Also the Sierra Bliz kings in the 50g moly coats??? Anyone had experiencies with these? thanks again

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullet makers produce bullets for varmint hunting that are explosive on contact with the target. The very thin jackets on the some HP + SP bullets at the high velocities the larger 22 caliber cartridges produce are explosive results on contact. The heavier bullets should have a little thicker jacket in the exposed lead SP, SPT, or RN bullet design and should not be as explosive on impact. Bullet placement through the rib cage into the heart lung area of coyotes and bobcats should produce minimal hide damage. It is certain you must experiment with different brands of bullets to know what your best choice will be. Shot palcenment is crucial and is very difficult on coyotes and bobcats and you may have to let some walk if they will not present the shot you desire.

The high velocity bullets that produces less hide damage is one tough cookie to solve. Lower velocity bullets that do not strike bone should poroduce less hide damage, yet still do the job of harvesting the game.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
bearcat,

The best bullet that fits the bill in my 22-250's had been the 55 gr. Sierra #1365 BTSP. The 50 gr. BT's are not as explosive as the V-Max, but they both will blow up on the shoulder as stated above. With a perfect shot you will have no exit with the 40gr. or 50gr. BT's. I would give the Sierra soft point a try. If you want to experiment some more you can also try the 52gr. HP.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not bother to save hides, just not worth it to me.

BUT, if I did I would shoot nothing but the plane Jane Sierra 50 grain soft point bullets in my 22-250 rifles.
This bullet goes in and kills the hell out of predators but seldom exits.

I have shot coyotes and bobcats with everything imaginable, but the 50 grain Sierra has been the standout bullet for deadly performance without an exit.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see where Sierra is now making a 65 BTSP and that Barnes now has their Triple Shock out in a 53 grainer.. These should be some fun in my 22/250 AI.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

for what it is worth I've done a lot of work on big and lil critters these last few years with the 63 Sierra-kind of an ugly bullet but it works great. Shot one of my biggest bruins with it.

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Mark-Do you know if the Barnes 53gr. TSX is available yet?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
How do the 55 gr. FMJs perform on varmints at .22-250 velocity?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob-yes they are I talked with Ty at Barnes yesterday and he sad that they were ready to ship. I am on their advisory staff and can get them now- I would imagine they would send them to all and anyone though.

Let me know if you need their number.

By the way my sister lives in S.A.--much for yotes to hunt in that country?

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Bob for what it is worth I also see the new 65 Sierra BTSP is available also...I can't wait to try em both!