New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77/17
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a ruger model 77 in 17 HMR? I am thinking of getting one for squirl rabbit and fox and was wondering if this little caliber is as capable as it seems to be? how does the ruger shoot?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the Ruger 77 but I did get the 17HMR in a NEF single shot. I'm impressed with it so far. I havn't had the chance to pot a tree rat yet but I did take a ground squirrel this past weekend with my daughter. With what I have seen and a resonable distance, I think Coyote is shootable with it. It sure is a fun gun and accurate also.

Good Luck

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Reddman>
posted
My suggestion is, look for someother brand of rifle. I have purchased 3 Ruger 77/?? and they have all been duds. Accuracy is terrible and is very hard to correct without spending alot of money. The Ruger 77 has several manufacturing defects that go against it being an accurate wepon.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The Marlin 17-V is available for almost half of the cost of a Ruger and is inherently more accurate. Mine will easily keep 5 shots inside of an inch at 100 yards, and I've had a few groups in the half-inch range.

It is NOT adequate for coyote -- not by any stretch of the imagination. It is terrific for PDs, ground squirrels, etc., but that's really the extent of its capabilities. Gray fox in our area are small (7-10 lbs.), and it would suffice for these at reasonable ranges.

Posts: 9337 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger 77/17 All weather stainless in .17 Hummer. Right now with a Burris 3x9 scope I am getting .5" groups at 100 yards. I am exchanging that scope for a 4x16 scope soon. I am very impressed with the accuracy of the round and of the Ruger rifle. The trigger is excellent on my gun and in my opinion .5" groups at 100 yards with a rimfire is outstanding. I also have a Ruger 77/22 and a 77 in .22-250 that both are extremely accurate as well. My experience with the Rugers has been the complete opposite of the gentleman above. [Big Grin]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my father-in-law's a while back and can tell you the trigger feels like you're pulling a cat of a screen door. The only way I'd shoot a coyote with the hummer is to dispatch him in a trap or snare at point blank range.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote