New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 SPS-Varmint rig-2007
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was on the Rem site and in their spring 07 catalog they had a 700 SPS Varmint rig shown.

Looks to me to be a darn good tool.

What is your guyz/galz thoughts?

I've a 6-20 Leo sitting in the corner getting awfully lonely...

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scope is a much better reason than a box of bullets or rusty dies bought at a gun show LOL. They look sweet, once they say what guns the 17 Fireball is going to be in I am ordering one ASAP. I am hoping for a LVSF for a carry gun. I am a big green fanatic. I think you should buy one. See that was easy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 17 FB could be one fun lil rifle!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
I'm in for one for sure. I'd love one in .223.

I've got a 30-06 SPS that absolutely shoots one hole groups. I'd love to see what one of these would do, hopefully the price is sub 600. This could be a great way to start a custom rifle.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark I will buy a 17FB if you do.....ok so i have two hand guns ready for sale. I already have it tuned, painted and scoped in my mind. Just looking for an enabler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a bad one to be your enabler, as much fun as I have with the .17's I seriously doubt I'll have another one. I just hate trying to hold onto those lil slugs when seating them.

Now a 20 does have some of my attn. Problem being as I get older (48 now) I get more and more comfy and set in using my old rigs, and see no real advantage to going with something new. Aside from the thrill of a new rig, I'd prefer to keep my moolah set aside for hunts and things as such.

Tis very fun to talk about it though.

I have a couple of monster size pd towns at my disposal and so think a bit of getting another fat tube for some of those shoots.

Mark D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be ordering up a new 17 F.B. also. Probably the cheaper SPS Varmint if they offer it in the SPS.

I shoot a pair of 221 F.B.'s now with good results.

I;ll probably sell my 2 17HMR then.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Dobrenski: I am declaring YOUR excuse for not endorsing, using, owning and having fun with 17 caliber centerfire Rifles - lame!
NO ONE - I repeat, NO ONE has more difficulty with "handling" small objects than I!
I unfortunately am afflicted with arthritis in the thumbs, index fingers and middle fingers of both of my hands!
Additionally, lingering and painful after affects of 4 broken bones in one hand and 3 in the other - along with a completely detached and slow to heal right thumb tendon has me picking 17 (and 20 and 22) caliber bullets up off of the floor QUITE often as I try to load them up!
Still I find the rewards of these diminuitive calibers WELL worth the slightly longer time and effort it takes to reload them.
And to date I have not had "fouling" problems (with any of my 17's and 20's) that interfere with my shooting in ANY noticeable way!
I am a BIG proponent of the SMALL calibers for Varminting!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lame it might be (to you) but not to me...

I doubt that I will do another 17 but one never knows...

Mark D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Remington 700 SPS chambered in .223. I'm happy with the gun, but have yet to take a yote with it.

Time is but the stream I go a'fishing on

Posts: 54 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was playing with a calculator here... and looking at the 17 mach 4 load data...

once one purchases the brass and the die set... I figure that the 17 Fireball, handloaded is going to be cheaper than the 17 HMR to shoot...

Anyone in the market for several 17 HMRs???

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire/B17G: You are quite the proponent of those "pipsqueak" (cheap!) loads in centerfires over the 17 HMR!
I wish you well and every happiness there!
BUT - again, YOU are overlooking - or purposely OMITTING some facts!
Just a couple IMPORTANT things here for you to RECONSIDER!
I use my rimfires for a lot of my Varminting! You DON'T have to reload rimfires!
I go through about 4,000 rounds of rimfire ammo a year - 99% of it shot at Varmints!
How LONG does it take you to reload 4,000 rounds of centerfire pipsqueak loads?
I know how long it would take me!
CONSIDER this Seafire/B17G as well! How long will it take to ruin a centerfire barrel shooting 4,000 pipsqueak loads a year through it! One year? Two years? Three years - at most?
Then visit the real world with us and buy a "quality" replacement barrel, have it contoured, threaded, chambered, finished, and head spaced properly to ones centerfire action - you are looking at (in your case FORGETTING to look at!) a four hundred dollar bill ($400.00) for that little oversight alone!
Keeping me out of my loading room to the tune of not having to reload 4,000 MORE centerfires a year, alone, is well worth having my 17 HMR's. And once you add in barrel replacement costs - its a "no-brainer" just so far!
Yeah, Seafire/B17G, what kind of 17 HMR Rifles do you want to sell and what prices are you asking for them?
I have probably 30,000 to 35,000 rounds through just one of my many rimfire Rifles and its Lilja barrel is still going strong!
I can only imagine how many hours of toil and drudgery in the loading room, using this one rimfire alone, has saved me over using a centerfire!
There are many other reasons that the rimfires are better and more appropriate to use in some Colony Varminting situations! I think I will list just a couple more to try and get you back on a path to reality!
#1: I Hunt on a bunch of ranches that do not allow centerfire Rifles to be used there on!
#2: Many of the Colony Varminting situations that I partake in would be vastly hampered with the use of centerfire "boomers"! In that the Colony Varmints are MUCH quicker to be frightened down into their dens and much slower to come back up while centerfires are being used than when rimfires are being used!
I know - I been there - I done that!
You wanna wear out your barrels, you wanna spend your birthday and Super Bowl Sunday in your loading room, you wanna spend your dollars buying the Riflesmiths kids new braces, you wanna get LESS shooting using your centerfires when rimfires would be more apropos - then YOU go ahead!
I know better!
But I don't think its saving you much at all to through away your 17 HMR's and going strictly to a 17 Remington Fireball!
Believe me when I tell you I WILL have a 17 Remington Fireball soon enough, BUT I won't be selling any of my rimfires and 17 HMR's off either.
To each their own, but REALITY has to come into play when making financial decisions concerning ones Varminting policies. Omitting the hours spent reloading and the additional costs of overusing centerfires when rimfires work better - well those are realistic things one needs to consider.
Long live the "pricey" little 17 HMR rounds!
And in case you had not noticed, there Seafire/B17G, ALL ammunition and ALL components are getting a lot more expensive here in the last several months!
Do yourself a favor and keep a couple of your 17 HMR's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG....

some days I wonder if you think I exist to make your life miserable and to get your blood pressure up....

I don't my friend.. but we do seem to have different perspectives and priorities on the varmint fields...

evidently you don't really care to do a lot of reloading... on my end, I like it, it is a lot of relaxation for me...

and yeah, I miss a lot of superbowl sundays, but I would miss them anyway! I never got much fired up about watching sports.. IN my youth, I played them, not watched them...

So I guess that is why I like my handloading, I is a 'hands on' procedure... where as watching TV isn't, unless you count the remote control time... my son and wife watch way too much TV for me.. and she usually takes in the superbowl with family and friends... and I am either handloading or out shooting at the time...

tonight, I stopped into the local gun shop.. and 17 HMR ammo was $14.95 per box and the Hornady boxes were $15.50.....

Like any centerfire, that 17 Fireball is going to allow me to handload it to any velocity I care for...between 4,000 fps and down to equal to the 17 Mach 2 or less...

My barrels seem to give me more mileage than your do... and my tastes are not as spendy as yours are....

While I am one of your fans on here... I have to admit on having different philosophies on certain subjects than yourself....but my 17 HMRs are going to collect dust until the price gets down to 22 Mag prices and then, it will not necessarily be my biggest volume shooter...

for serious varmint shooters, I really think the 17 Fireball will not only eat into the inroads of the HMR, but will effect the price of HMR ammo to be more user/wallet friendly...

If I am wrong my 17 HMRs will just keep collecting dust....

I have a Handirifle, a Marlin stainless/laminate and a Ruger 77/17 with the heavier barrel....the Ruger may end up getting traded in to fund the 17 Fireball unless I order a barrel made in it.....

I have to admit, If I was going to keep a 17 in the arsenal, besides the Handirifle, I'd pick up a Savage with the thumbhole and heavy barrel and stainless action and barrel... they are sold for $299.00 around here at Bi-Mart....they can't keep them on the shelves...

The 204 really didn't excite me much when it came out.. and I am still skeptical... however the 17 Fireball does, as I had my pump primed on the 17 Mach 4 when I saw one on a Model 70 action, with a 28 inch stainless steel PACNOR barrel on it at a local gunshop... with a price tag of $1250.00! with the Reload dies and a 4 x 12 Leupold on top of it!

cheers as always, and merry christmas to you and the varmint family...

seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What the heck is the Remington SPS varmint gonna be like ? Maybe similar to an ADL with a fat barrel ?

I just can't keep up with all the Remmy model designations........more letters there than a bowl of alphabet soup (grin)

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdgunslinger:
What the heck is the Remington SPS varmint gonna be like ? Maybe similar to an ADL with a fat barrel ?

I just can't keep up with all the Remmy model designations........more letters there than a bowl of alphabet soup (grin)

Slinger,

Don't even get interested in Savages then! lol

One needs a slide ruler and a Lap Top to figure out all of their codes! killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep you could download the 17 MachIV to to HMR17 spec's. I doubt anyone would though Confused

My HMR's will sit in the safe when I get a MachIV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Scheels in Billings yesterday and got my pawz around a SPS Varmint.

It felt nice and will most likely find the way home with me on of these days.

My 6-20 Leo is still very lonely and I've a nice lil pd ranch just waiting for some serious work.

Mark D

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire/B17G: Seafire, Seafire, Seafire!
THE day that YOU get my blood curdling will be, THE DAY!
I enjoy your nonsense, at times, immensely.
You are talking to a guy that was trained not to get upset when dealing DIRECTLY with Black Panthers, SDS (students for a democratic society - communists and terrorists!), Hells Angels (biker scum), Bandidos (Mexican biker scum), Iron Lords (meth freak bikers!), Theodore Bundy, the Green River Murderer, baby rapers, pimps, whores, animal sodomizers and a long list of similar undesirables! I have arrested three different men for having sex with dead corpses!
For God's Sake Seafire - I spent 29 years dealing with scum sucking, slime like, LAWYERS - and you think YOU can irritate ME?
Sheesh!
I am just getting started here Seafire - if someone was gonna make my life miserable and my blood boil it would have been one of the many members of clergy who I have arrested for sodomizing youngsters!
Maybe, I even got riled when I arrested a 6'3" giant of an escaped convict named "Mustafah"! He kidnapped and raped two little white kids (brother and sister!) and he also sodomized them!
The aid car staff that I called to the scene of his arrest were not sure if the rectal injuries and profuse bleeding the 5 and 7 year olds were suffering would not be fatal to them!
Mustafah begged me and my partner to let him jump off the Aurora Bridge (200 feet down - certain death!) there in Seattle on his way to jail! Mustafah was in tears now (if you can visualize a 6' 3" 250 pound, black, body building, escaped con, crying!) - his sniveling and my disgust for his deeds actually prompted me to tap my partner on the shoulder as we were mid-bridge and tell him to pull over!
THEN - I may have been riled when Mustafah then recanted his life taking promise, and began crying harder - now begging not to be THROWN off the bridge!
I actually contemplated that very thing as I sneered at this quivering excuse of a man!
Yeah, I think old Mustafah there was the LAST person to get under my skin?
As far as you getting to me with your combination of rational and irrational thoughts and posting's - well let me put it this way - you wouldn't make a pimple on Mustafah's ass!
Now back to your irrationality.
I just bought a "load" of 17 HMR ammo for $8.99 a box of 50. I would rather pay $6.99 for it but $8.99 is far from $14.99!
I contemplate not shooting 50 rounds of HMR this year there Seafire/B17G, but 2,000 rounds of it!
I shot 1,500 last year that I know of for sure and maybe a couple boxes more that I miscounted or forgot about.
Now, I am simply NOT going to run 2,000 rounds down the barrel of any of my precious centerfire Rifles when I can get the job done with a 17 rimfire!
The wear and tear ALONE on my 17 caliber centerfire barrels (1 Shilen and 3 Remingtons) each year would preclude that from ever being contemplated much less, happening! I save my centerfires for the longer distance and larger Varmints where the 17 HMR doesn't compete!
THEN, there Seafire, is the vast amount of time involved in loading 2,000 17 MachIV and 17 Remington centerfire cartridges! Let alone driving around searching for the components and BUYING them!
I have better things to do!
In fact I had to cancel a planned Coyote Safari today because the air is so cold here in SW Montana (26 below zero - or 58 degrees colder than just plain old freezing!!!) that the diesel in my VarmintMobiles tank is at risk of jelling!
Lucky Coyotes.
I'll go over a FEW of the other reasons the 17 HMR shines over the centerfires AGAIN for you - if you don't mind there Seafire (Mustafah!) /B17G?
I Hunt on many ranches that DO NOT ALLOW centerfire Rifles to be shot upon them!
The MAIN reason I do not like to use centerfires in Colony Varmint (high volume!) shooting situations IS becuase centerfires scare Colony Varmints into their dens at a rate between 3 and 8 times as readily as rimfires!
More shots thus are at my disposal with the rimfires!
Thats about it from here in rational land Seafire except for this!
I think its about time for Mustafah to be getting out of "the Walls" (Walla Walla State Penitentiary) here soon and if it wouldn't bother you I might send him a letter extolling the virtues of "Southern Oregon, USA"?
Long live the 17 HMR!
There IS a place for it!
Whereas there is no place, for a pimple, on Mustafah's ass!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
friend of mine bought one on his way to work yesterday,it has the new trigger that breaks like glass at about 3 lbs out of the box,his is a 223 and got it out the door for 489$$, he put a 5.5-16.5 Nikon Monarch on it and weather permiting we are going to shoot it and the SPR 310S shotgun he bought with it tomorrow,let you know how it goes.

SPEED KILLS

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx Big-look 4-ward to the report.

Mark D

one of us
posted Hide Post

Win 45 gr HP shoott off the bi-pod and a rear bag.6-18 Nikon Buckmaster scope.

SPEED KILLS

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
inch squares

SPEED KILLS

one of us
posted Hide Post
thoose are inch squares

SPEED KILLS