Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Hunting In Texas
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. I am looking to travel to Texas from the UK next year with the family, but would love to do a couple of days of Bobcat, Coyote maybe Hog and any other type of varmint hunting. Does anyone have any suggestions that would be a good place to go to for this?
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Brown Bear--Texas was a Republic when it joined the Union, thus kept all of it's land. Most was sold off privately thus very little public land in Texas. For the most part, you'll have to pay to hunt. What part of Texas will you be in?

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For hogs go to the hog section. Whole lotta guys on there from Texas. I'm sure you'll be able to connect with some.
Try: Crazyhorseconsulting, he's got a place and takes in others at times for hogs.

Good luck, and where all you going to be traveling over here? With that info, some of us can point you to places to visit and things to do. Also, how long will you be in the states?
Will you have a car?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. Since you have time...

It is regrettable that things are not organized, but...

VHA, Varmint Hunters Assoc. is located in Pierre, South Dakota and is a nice central clearin house for varmint things and if you choose to join... as helpful as possible. They got started in Lone Grove Oklahoma. Magazine. Message boards. etc.

As said, TX is not loaded with public land, it is pay to hunt/shoot and you need contacts. VHA is as good as I know of. Since you, obviously, travel, you want to consider ajoining states, New Mexico, Oklahoma, etc. Never shot there. My experience is much farther north. Wyo/SD/NE.

The alternative is/are the local "Chambers of Commerce" which often, in smaller towns, promote anything that will "bring in money." In the larger cities there are people against shooting, hunting, etc. Don't be surprised if a question like this is rebuffed... In smaller venues, more common sense and welcome to someone willing to pay there own expenses controlling pests. TX should have a "game depart" or Natural Resources or Fish and Wildlife, etc. They are welcoming too. Luck. Happy Trails.