THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    In between caliber for predators

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In between caliber for predators
 Login/Join

posted
Ok here is my dilemma. I would like a varmint rifle somewhere between the .22 Magnum that I have now and with less report than a .223. I would prefer something other than a .22 Hornet unless someone can convice me that they are more accurate with factory ammo than i have been led to believe. Is there something like this out there, (.17 caliber) even if I have to start reloading? What are your suggestions?

Posts: 8 | Location: Denver | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely a .221 Fireball........brass is just as easy to find as a Hornet,can be reloaded many times, takes 19 gr. of powder instead of 13-14 but either way that isn't much. Wicked accurate and will reach out 250 yards plus. I had Fred at BB make me one up for my contender and its a fun gun to shoot and easy to load for. If you don't load then you may have issues with ammo costs no matter what it is you choose.
You're in Denver........if you want to run out to Cherry Creek some day I'll show you.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the .221 Fireball. Little more power than a Hornet and I believe the case design lends itself to easier, better accuracy. Case head is same as .222/.222Mag/.223, cartridge body is shorter.

I've had several Hornets and accuracy seems hit or miss. In my experience, either it shoots very well, or it's a total loss. Some people have had very good accuracy with their Hornets and K-Hornets, and there has been a whole new crop of lightweight poly-tipped wonder bullets I haven't tried.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Fireball; performs well for its size, easy on the ears, a dream to reload. I have no knowledge of how well the factory ammo costs or shoots, but I believe the latest offering used a 50gr Vmax.

CZ now offers their outstanding Mod 527 in Fireball, plus whatever Remington offers.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a .223 and handload a reduced load. My formula to make a "Hornet" load in any reasonable cartridge is to take 1/2 the full charge weight of that cartridge and load it with IMR's SR 4759 and a 40 gr bullet. In most cases this will make about 2800 fps. ie in a .223 the full charge is about 28 grs of any powder to fill the case so your load is 14 grs of 4759.

You can carry both the full charge .223 load with you to reach out and use the top plex of your variable as the aiming point for your reduced load. Sight it in by turning the power ring.

I do this with the Swift. Why carry a .223, 221, Hornet or .22 Mag. when you can carry any of them in the form of reduced loads?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I agree, 99, that makes a lot of sense. BTW, right now my main loads in my .22-250 are equivalent to "warm" .223s. It shoots well like that, is plenty powerful for 200-300 yard paper punching and varmints, my cases and barrel should last a long time, and I can still load it hot if I think the need arises.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sav99 said:"Get a .223 and handload a reduced load. My formula to make a "Hornet" load in any reasonable cartridge is to take 1/2 the full charge weight of that cartridge and load it with IMR's SR 4759 and a 40 gr bullet. In most cases this will make about 2800 fps. ie in a .223 the full charge is about 28 grs of any powder to fill the case so your load is 14 grs of 4759."

What fun is that? I would rather face the decision of "what am I going to carry today, my Hornet, or my Fireball, or my 223, or....."

All guns vary, but I would not assume accuracy with a reduced load is up to par with a "standard" load, and for a beginning reloader, it could be a daunting challenge. Most of my reduced loads involve cast bullets, which adds another challenge. But the concept is a good one.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might also want to check out the new ruger .204 looks like it would be a graet critter gun. ruger is chambering 3 rifles in that caliber also. it smokes too!!!!!

www.ruger.com

Posts: 45 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
221 Fireball!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lehighton78,

I have two .22 Hornets, both Rugers(77/22VHZ and No.1), and both will shoot under an inch with factory loads. Half inch with reloads. Easy cartridge to reload too. Powder seems to last forever. But if you can find a .222 Remington in good shape then grab it and don't look back. Accuracy is it's middle name. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote