New
Find
Notify
Tools

First prairie dog hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had the chance to go on my first prairie dog hunt last October. I must say that it was more fun than I ever thought it would be. I was using a Rem. 700VS in 22-250 with 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips. I had no idea how explosive or accurate they would be. I was very impressed at the range you could hit something that small at. I am looking forward to my next prairie dog shooting oppertunity.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hvy barrel: I am thrilled you enjoyed your Hunt so much!
Yes it is amazing how far away todays factory Rifles will hit Varmints!
I harvested several Prairie Dogs last week myself when I was on a Deer/Varmint Hunt to central Montana!
I shot my first Prairie Dogs in 1969 and have been after them every year since then!
Which state did you Hunt and how many do you think you harvested?
Due to security concerns on my recent Hunt I only had along my Ruger 77/17 V in caliber 17 HMR. It is very lethal on Prairie Dogs out to modest ranges (125 to 150 yards).
Yes the 22-250 in a Varmint Rifle is a marvelous Varmint gun/cartridge combo. I have been using them since right around 1967 - going on 40 years now!
Long live the 22-250!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Wyoming. I am guessing I had about 30 kills. We were shooting at around 500 yards give or take.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 kills at that range is a good day, indeed. A buddy and I shoot jackrabbits around here whenever we can. Most of our hits are at close range out to about 250 yards. A good day for us, when the bunnies are running, is anywhere from 25 to 50. Sometimes we get more depending on how much green grass is left. It's all brown and dried now; we are waiting for Spring with stars in our eyes.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its addictive.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot on my BIL/sister farm property...pretty much whenever I can make it down there. 30 kills is an hour.............I use 600 rds. in two days.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Any places to shoot prairie dogs in Texas?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote