Find
Notify
Tools

An African Varmint
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

I shot this hyena in Zimbabwe with a Lazzeroni Model 2000 rifle, chambered for the 9.53 (.375) Saturn cartridge. It is basically a 416 Rigby case improved and necked down to 375.

-

A Barnes 300 grain X bullet at 3140 fps.

We were on our way back to camp, and approaching a waterhole late in the afternoon. We were looking for some impala for leopard bait. About three hundred yards from the water, we stopped to look if we could see anything in the grass.

We saw this hyena, which was lying down in the muddy water. I jumped out of the truck and took a shot at it. I shot over it, it jumped up and stood looking around as it I do not think it knew here the shot came from.

The second shot dropped it in its tracks.

Posts: 67029 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Cool!

I've been trying to get my cousin, Dwight, to go to Africa with me on a plains game hunt. He said he wasn't interested in anything but Hyena. Said he despises the things. He wants to use his new .300 RUM on them.

Oughta be hell on 'em! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recognize you Saeed, but please identify the hyena.

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
robz,

The one on the left is Walterhog - you cannot possibly mistake that.

The hyena to the right next to him, and I am the one in front with tht toothy grin [Big Grin]

Posts: 67029 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 300 grain bullet at 3140 for varmint hunting! Wow! Also, glad to know that hunters the world over look as wild as their prey! Thanks for the photo, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Next time you shoot a Hyena,can I have his wristwatch?
rz

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

As an avid predator hunter, I commend you for your fine double. It is enough of a feat to call two in at once and take them, but to do it with one shot is truly remarkable!! [Big Grin] You can come calling with me in Texas any time!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Now that's funny!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
300 grainer at 3140 fps ...... How long did it take you to puzzle it back together for the photograph [Big Grin]

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Saeed
It looks like a big animal, do you have any details on size and weight? Just interested on how it compares to say a large dog.

Bakes

Posts: 7978 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote