Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Call Shy Farm Dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I know just what you're dealing with. The ranchers usually shoot at them if they can see them, does'nt take long to educate them like that.
I have found the best way to get these is at night with a ballin' calf or lamb depending on whats around. My best success was at night, full moon on snow with a 12ga. and no artificial light.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Might be that they are more interested in smell than sound when closer to the farmyard. They probably expect sounds to come from around the buildings. Might try something with a loud smell - tuna, cheese, canned dog food, etc. Could be that they come in close to the farmyard after they have just eaten, making them less interested.

I'd be interested in what you find that works.

Posts: 17 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the 12 gauge, only we use a 10 gauge (SP 10) With lead BB. Got one a few nights ago with my 17 Rem with no artificial light. Full moon with snow at 75 yards. I'll have to try the calf/sheep ball, thats a good idea. Thanks

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We don't setup in or around the farm buildings at all. This would be a complete waste of time IMO. We set up on the outskirts of the farm land, by waterways, dense cover, ect.... The smell this is a good idea, may try that to. We have tried baiting for them, with dead livestock from neighboring farms, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Bearcat, I grew up in K. Falls and used to hunt on many ranches in the area. I didn't shoot many over bait but did hunt one ranch that would dump the dead in a common area all winter. We set up about 200 yards from the dump and about half mile from the feed lot. Ocassionally(sp?) we'd get one that was already out poking around.
It's about lambing time, you'd do well to get a tape recording of a lamb thats seperated or caught. We hobled one seperate from momma and started taping. Come to think of it, I think it's the only time I've successfully used an e-caller!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote