THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Most coyotes seen from one spot?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most coyotes seen from one spot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the most coyotes you have ever seen from one set-up or blind?

As deer season was ending, I was setting in a blind where I had a good view, when I saw four coyotes working across a flat several hundred yards away. I idly kept an eye on them and then saw four more about a half-mile away. "This is getting ridiculous!" I said to myself.

The two groups began howling back and forth as the sun started going down and two more "dogs" came in from the east.

Ten coyotes at one time!

I see I'll be doing some calling before the calving season this spring.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the most I have seen in one spot were six that were all just waiting amongst a bunch of hefers for the next calf to drop. Believe me, some of that bunch have eaten no more calves.

The coyotes working on calves is a real problem here in the California foothills. Just weekend before last my dad eased over a hill on a ranch and spotted two dogs coming towards him. He looked down in a draw below him and a big old male coyote had just killed a calf. He waited till the other two moved in to join the feed and wound up killing two of the three. The rancher was pretty happy. Hard to believe, but we went out on the same ranch the next afternoon, and while we did not get any, we saw four more!

Several years back my dad managed to kill four out of a pack of six that he jumped in the foothills. Believe it or not, a female game warden gave him hell for trying to kill the entire pack. He pretty much told her to go to hell!

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7 would be the most here. 5 adults and 2 pups. the group sent the 3 dominant dogs to check us out. it was interesting.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Chris Jamison
posted Hide Post
Six

Posts: 168 | Location: Memphis, TN, USA | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A friend and I called in six at one setting when we were in college (30 years ago!!). I hadn't called before but he had called quite a bit during high school with his dad and a neighbor. We set up one slightly overcast, moonlit night in a fenceline two or three miles outside of a small town in SE Ne., after a snow. Wheatfield in front of us, and a milo stubble field past that, toward the center of the section. Jim called a couple of times, we waited, then the 10:00 siren went off in town. That got the yotes howling, then Jim called again. They started coming to the call, barking, yipping, snarling, sounding to me, a virgin, like there was 30 of them, coming across the milo stubble. Then when they hit the snow covered wheat field, silence. Pretty soon I could start to pick them out in the snow. They fanned out around us about 30? yards out. Jim squeeked a couple of times and one jumped the fenceline we were in to go around us to try and scent us. Jim whispered to take them (we had shotguns only). He got his, but I was so spooked, I have no idea where I shot. I will ALWAYS remember that time calling!!!

Posts: 2 | Location: Ne | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I was hunting coyotes on a flat , that had a dead cow , on it were several dogs . I managed to crawl flat on my stomach for about 300 yards . Just getting to there was tough . Anyhow I shot a female at 75 yards , when I looked there were 11 coyotes running , not sure where I was shooting from another dog lost a good part of his front end.
So thats it 11 at one area or vantage point .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seven coming a one time. This was in the early 1970's, in the Texas Panhandle area. I took a new varmithunter with me to show him how to call coyotes.
When I gave a toot on the call the world came alive with coyotes, and the new hunter was so rattled he sat there and worked every cartridge in his rifle out on to the ground without firing a shot.
I was laughing so hard at his confusion, that I only managed to get one of the old dogs.

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we were calling on the rim of a vally . three cyotes started to charge in from the other side and four or five came in from the back side We got a little busy for a few mineuts .

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most I have ever seen from one stand was 7. I was Bowhunting mulies, just outside of the Calgary city limits, and the whole family came up a fence line about 60 meters below me. I didn't manage to kill any of them

To take this a little bit further, what is the greatest ammount of dogs killed in a single sitting? The best I have done when calling is 2.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
five. on two different occasions. once stumbled across a den. saw two adults and three pups. approx 300 yards away lobbing 30-30's at them. one shot landed within 2ft. probly would have been better off throwing rocks. the other time was a day after butchering a beef in the field. decided to check outthe gutpile at daylight the following day. saw five adults(i think). 200 yards with a 223 thisa time. got two.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glassing a coulee, we saw 11. they would not respond to the calling, so we stalked in and killed 2.
Two weeks ago, a friend was up from Montana. On one stand, we had 7 coming in across an open field. My buddy killed 1. They ran off, but I managed to call a couple back. He killed another. I called them back a third time and he killed a third one. I managed to call them back once more and I missed a 250 yd standing shot.
The most killed on a stand by one shooter? Three. That has happened twice this year.

Posts: 92 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a remote area above Crab Creek in Washington State one early morning I called in (electronic call this time) 6 full size Coyotes. It was in late January and I only managed one down. My two partners were on the opposing side of a lava rock bluff and did not get a shot but saw the rest of the speeding pack exit.
I once saw 8 Coyotes in a field in Wyoming as I was driving down a road. It was Deer season and I did not have permission on that ranch so no score there.
Great sport Hunting Coyotes (Canis Lupus or Canis Latrans?)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
My friend shot with a 223 that was trying to get a rabbit carcass that I had tied on top of a tree stump. When we went to look at the coyote he was missing hair all-over his body. The owner of the property said he sees them in his driveway when he is coming home at night.

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I came across 19 in one bunch one time.I was young and excited,fired 3 shoots at 200 yds.Missed cleanly.I called a pack of 5 off a herd of Antelope once,got 2 coming and 2 going.A friend was with me and said "How come you didn't shoot the other one?" My reply was we can only carry 2 a piece.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three down, seven to go!

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was riding the school bus home about 5 yars ago during calving season when I lived in a valley in North Cali and counted 10 yotes in a sage brush covered field. I saw one at the fence line and looked out into the field and there they were. I could only count ten before we completely passed them by, had to be at least 5+more I didn't get to count.

Posts: 79 | Location: Maine | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote