New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 AI or 6mm Rem AI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well it is time to trash my factory 260 barrel and build a custom rifle.
I would like some advise on the above rounds and which you think is better.
I will not shoot light bullets so I am leaning toward a 1 in 9 twist.
Plaese give me you thought on barrels and lenghts.

Posts: 26 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
unless i was shooting 100 and heavier grain bullets i would opt for a one in ten. if i was going to use over 100 grain bullets i would build it with a 1 in 8. as for barrel lengths the 6 ackleys can put to use a longer barrel. mine has a 26 inch tube, and there is nothing wrong with longer. i guess you have to ask yourself what the primary use for the gun will be. bench work only ,go with a 28", field gun for coyotes and rockchucks go with a 25 or 26. if you go with the 6mm ackley, like i did, you get a bit more powder capicity and a longer neck, which is nice for seating different bullets. either way you go you will enjoy it!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye Jr:
Well it is time to trash my factory 260 barrel and build a custom rifle.
I would like some advise on the above rounds and which you think is better.
I will not shoot light bullets so I am leaning toward a 1 in 9 twist.
Plaese give me you thought on barrels and lenghts.

I don't own a 243AI so I won't comment on it but I have a 6mmAI and I had a 1/10 twist to handle the 100gr to 80gr bullets. Mine likes 95 gr NoslerBT bullets and I get 3391fps with a 24" barrel. One of the problem you may run into with the 6AI is case OAL in a med action. I don't have any feeding problems with mine and it was done on a older 40x repeater action. I would talk to your gunsmith first to see what case will work best in your action. Well good luck. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Likewise, I have a 6MMAI and I have a 1/9 Hart SS barrel @ 28 1/2" and shoot 87grain V-Max bullets at just over 3700. They have a but of yaw at 100 yards but we killed 6 for 6 rockchucks last spring between 605 and 612 yards and killed 14 of 15 between 390 and 411 yards. This combination works very well for me.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was headed fro the 6mm AI over the 243- sounds like most get better performance with the
6AI. I think i will go with 28 in barrel.
Altough I spoke to a guy today that said I migh be better off with a 6-284. Any thoughts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I went with the 6mm AI, after I initially wanted a 25/284 then 6/284 and even considered 6.5/284 and it was all the same, to much case work.

The 6MM gives me all I need and more. Fireform the case trim the neck for length and outside uniformity and you are good to go. Brass is very accessible and I shoot an 87 gr V-Max with 50 grains of R-19 and it shoots OK at 100 yards l" at 200 yards and awesome past 600 yards.

The 1/9 twist barrel rives me yaw at that velocity but the bullet remains stable enough that it stabilizes quite well beyond 200 yards.

Kind of got off the subject, but the 6MM AI gives me what I wanted alot easier then the 6/284 gave the same thing.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the 6-284 is out - to much barrel wear. talked to a few guys that have them
wssm in 243 ???? if i want to wait for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dead Eye,

I have both a 243AI and a 6mmAI. My 6mmAI has a 1-10" twist and will shoot bullets up to 95gr. I shoot mostly 70gr TNT's or Blitzkings. My 243AI has a 1-9" twist and I shoot the 105gr A-Max's in it. For shooting at the longer ranges, I'd shoot the 105gr A-Max's. I've done load testing in three different barrel twist in the 6mm Ackley. 1-10", 1-9", and 1-7" twist. I could shoot the widest selection of bullets and got the best accuracy with the 1-9" twist. Once I started shooting beyond 400yds with my 1-10" barrel, the wind really hurt the group sizes. I was shooting 1 gallon jugs full of water at 500 meters to see which bullet was the most explosive at that range. The 105gr A-Max won hands down. Speed doesn't meen anything if you can't hit the target.

As for which caliber I would chose? I like the 6mm Ackley a lot but you can find better brass for the 243 easier. I've found it easier to get the 6mm Ackley to shoot with 4064 and the 70gr bullets but I'm starting to get the 243AI to shoot with the 105gr A-Max's and H-4831SC. If my 6mm Ackley had a 1-9" barrel, I'd probably go with it.

If you can, go with a 28" barrel. The extra barrel length will make up the differance if you chose the 243AI

Good luck and good shooting, The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote