THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Comments on Lazzeroni Rifles / Calibers

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comments on Lazzeroni Rifles / Calibers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have opinions regarding the Lazzeroni/Sako rifles and calibers. They sell a Sako TRG-S in 7.21 Firebird for $949 (minus scope, rings, etc.).

Specs on the round are as follows:
Velocity on the 7mm 140 Gr. round is 3,668 fps from a 26" barrel.

Velocity on the 7mm 160Gr. round is 3,455 fps from a 26" barrel.

This seems like pretty good balistics from a 7mm. How does it compare to the new 7mm Ultra Mag? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Shark Bait

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
S.B.

RE the rifle, I think it's a good buy for what is essentially a "custom" caliber.

RE the cartridge, check out the magazine "Deer and Big Game Rifles" Harris Pub. Vol 11 #1 Spring 2002 (I think) Sundra writes an article on the Savage Lazz. (not the same I know) and another on the 7mm ultra mag. His take on the Lazz is that pressures are pretty darn high to reach published velocities. (65K psi may be "safe" but....)

In the 7mm ultra article he appears to not be too keen on a case that burns 106 gr. of powder to get 3425 out of a 140 gr. 7mm bullet. If the Lazz gets 200 fps. more than that, there must be some really high pressures or some snake oil somewhere.

This may be one of those cases of going WAY WAY beyond the point of diminishing returns.

JimF

geeez, I just realized this was in the varmint forum, you're not gonna use this for.........nahhh!!!

[ 09-05-2002, 00:04: Message edited by: JimF ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I know that I don't realistically need anything with the sort of balistics the Lazzeroni or for that matter the 7mm Ultra Mag claims, however as one firearm afficianado to another, there is always another firearm that I want. Why not a very flat shooting 7mm? [Smile]

Oh, and it wouldn't be for varmints, but this forum seems to be very active and likes to talk about flat shooting cartridges, so I'd thought I'd ask. I'd prefer to use my old trusty .22-250 on varmints.

Any way, if anyone has any additional comments on the Lazzeroni/Sako, I'd welcome it.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait,

The 7mm Lazerroni would be the counterpart of a 7mm/378 or a 416 Rigby Improved necked down to the 7mm.

If all else was equal, they would be about 100 f/s faster than the same caliber on the Ultra case.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Lazzeroni rifles and they get the velocities claimed in the ads...both of mine (a .375 and a .300) are accurate in the extreme. They are not inexpensive to shoot as the brass runs right a $2 each...dies are also custom and run about $100.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote