Notify
Tools

M55
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pete152
posted
Gidday,
I ahve a M55 Tikka .222rem and it still shoots ok but I was wondering if I should change to a heavier barell or stay with what I have.It shoots acceptable groups and knocks roos over ok but would a heavier barrell be more accurate?
Peter

Posts: 171 | Location: australia | Registered: 06 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete and g'day.

I have an M55 action Tikka in .22/250 with a heavy barrel. You ask if a heavy barrel will be more accurate than your existing barrel, well, I'd suggest that it probably will for two reasons:

1. A heavy barrel will be less affected by heat build up if you shoot round after round. If your shooting tends to be single shot, you may never notice the benefit.

2. Your M55 action is now several years old and I assume that the barrel is the original one? How many rounds have been through it? It's a simple fact that rifle barrels wear with use and eventually reach a point where accuracy declines.

If you want to buy a new barrel go ahead, but if your rifle still shoots with the accuracy you require you may not yet actually need to.

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pete152
posted Hide Post
Gidday mate,
Yes it is pretty old now but it still shoots ok(knocks the roos down thats the main thing)We are putting a few thru the barrel now and I do not think it will last for too much longer,the accurataccy.So just thinking out loud really if the heavy would be best. Thanks for your reply gives me something to work on.
Peter

Posts: 171 | Location: australia | Registered: 06 July 2000Reply With Quote