New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ground Squirrel Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone out there know of a good reference book (maybe collegiate type of in depth info) that describes the various species of Ground Squirrels?
Today I had occassion to enjoy a combination fly fishing/Varmint Hunt!
Anyway I was only 80 miles from my normal Ground Squirrel haunts and the Gophers I got today were HUGE compared to the ones I normally shoot! That and the color scheme of the Squirrels I shot today was very different from the ones I normally Hunt.
The area we were in today was at 6,400' elevation and I normally Hunt at just under and just over 5,000'.
Anyway if anyone is familiar with a reference book or pamphlet that defines the various sub-species of Ground Squirrels I would appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks in advance.
Oh by the way I caught (and released) 4 Brook Trout, 7 Grayling and shot about 50 of these large Ground Squirrels. I had just recased my Varmint Rifle when we spooked a large and WELL FURRED Coyote across a wide open short grass natural meadow!
DIEYAMMM!!!
I was miffed. Oh well I have him and his meadow marked for future work!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are reading this, you're sitting in front of the most comprehensive resource for info since the book was invented....do a google search for ground squirrels....

http://www.google.com

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote