THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    "Walk Around Varminter" is complete

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Walk Around Varminter" is complete
 Login/Join

<RVB>
posted
Check out pictures and captions in the photo album at www.rvbprecision.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
RVB: Wow! Super looking Varminter you have there! I am jealous! I have two of Darrell Hollands Varminters (one in 6mm Ackley Improved and the other in 223 Remington). I have been more than happy with both of them! Have fun on the high plains with it! And please leave some Varmints out here for me to chase!
Thats interesting the upward pressure assisting accuracy for this Rifle. I have had at least 5 Rifles in my life that were more accurate with barrel channel pressure! Each Rifle is an individual - I guess.
I have the same style muzzle brake on my Holland 223 Remington Varminter. I really enjoy its ability to keep a sight picture while the bullet is arriving "on target"!
The small drawback to it is the dust plume it will suck up off the ground when firing from the prone position. At times the dust plume will obscure the sight picture. I sometimes lay my folded space blanket from my day pack on the ground under the muzzle to do away with this dust plume. Small hindrance there. No problem with a dust plume from the sitting position though.
Did you mean that the trigger (SS as you described it in your photo album) is from a stainless steel actioned Remington or Sharps Shooters model or something else?
I have a 6.5X20 Leupold on my Holland built 223 and it will sure whack the Prairie Dogs and Gophers way out there. I have a Jewell trigger on this Rifle and do so admire its performance.
Enjoy your Walking Varminter!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 12-03-2002, 22:52: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
SS as in Stainless Steel from a Remington 700 Stainless Steel action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RVB - What really dazzles me is your reloading room. That's an IMPRESSIVE set up you have, sir.
Something all the rest of us can only dream about. I once lived in a house that had a pretty impressive bomb shelter and I was able to turn that into a nifty load room.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
It's really no big deal. Just 30 years of stuuf all arranged rather neatly! The whole room is only 8X12 and it's simple 2X4 and sheetrock construction. Although I've drifted in and out of hundreds of hobbies over the years, the reloading and shooting thing has allways held my attention. Thanks for the kind words.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVB:
It's really no big deal. Just 30 years of stuuf all arranged rather neatly!

This in itself is a big deal. I think you've got most reloaders beaten. Still a fine set up!

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat web page and BTW I have an old 5mm Rem tube fed rifle and its pretty rough but the old dog will shoot average of 10 groups at .230 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I used to shoot heads of quail in Mexico with it at distances that amazed me...I shot a few of those whitetaill and mule deer down there with it. It is a fine gun but I'm down to 44 rounds.
I keep thinking that Rem would have the decency to come out with a run of ammo and stop the black market ammo pricing...but that's probably wishfull thinking, Remington is very sympothetic since the educated idiots commonly referred to as bean counters took over...

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote