THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    1 and 9" twist .223 bullets??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 and 9" twist .223 bullets??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage 12bvss, it is a real accurate gun. I have determined that Hornady SPSX, and Speer TNT lose their jacket about 10-20 foot in front of my barrel. I backed down the load some more, but I believe my rifling is too fast. I need some ideas on some more varmint bullets that aren't so expensive, 50 grains, or 55s. I was thinking Hornady Vmax or what is a Sierra Blitz and the Blitzking?

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They will be used on prairie dogs, crows, and the occasional.... The Winchester 45gr. JHP varmint packs are almost worthy of not messing with reloading for my .223.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra blitzking or the nosler ballistic tip should hold together for you just fine. I shoot those in a 1 in 9 twist with no problems and also use 52 grain matchkings with no problem.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
In my Savage 223s with 1/9 twist, I use 55 Nosler BTs and 69 Sierra MKs. Have very good results downrange with p/dogs. Never tried 40s or anything that light. The heavier bullets retain energy and buck wind much better than the lighter ones. I do shoot 50 Nosler BTs in a 1/12 Tikka SS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My .223 Savage shoots 52 grain bullets the best. Next in line would be the 60 grain Hornady. I just can't get the heavier bullets to shoot in my 1-9 twist.
Mad`

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With that twist rate, I think you need to go towards a heavier bullet.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 223 has a 9 twist barrel, and it shoots every thing from the 50 gr. BlitzKings to 75 grain AMax bullets superbly. If you haven't had any luck with the heavier bullets you just haven't hit the right powder combination yet. Try N540 with the 69 gr. Sierra MatchKing and the 75 gr. AMax and Varget with the 80 Sierra MatchKing in Winchester brass with a Rem 7 1/2 BR primer. It is a rare 223 that wont shoot those bullets with the those powders.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight..........RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a "hunting" (as distinct from "target") bullet at a very reasonable price, I suggest the 64-gr Winchester PP. Group right on the inch or a wee tad under out of my 10FP. Not exactly explosive, but excellent for medium sized game.

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about those new 69 Nosler Competitions as well. I've been using them out of a 1:9 twist AR, and they've delivered excellent performance on coyotes out to beyond 500 yds. guys, believe it or not-- but i think the 68 Hornady still claims the higher B.C. in the upper 60 weight class. But if you're looking for a cheapo that might work well, take a look at some of those 55 gr. Russian HP's + SP's out of Widener's catalog $32/500 without shipping. I've never tried them but it can't hurt to call and ask 800-615-3006, or www.wideners.com

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I just ran into this problem with my 1-9 twist 22-250 last week while shooting P Dogs. I was shooting my pistol most of the day in .223. No problems with the SPSX and Dogtown bullets from Midway. Thought I would try my new Wilson Stainless Barrel on my 22-250. I had some 55 grn SPSX loaded with 37 grns of H380. My buddies were spotting for me and kept asking me what I was shooting at. One of them was watching my gun when I fired and he said it was smoking alot. No way. I shot at a rock at 50 yards and had fragments hit all around it and a large piece hit about 3' to the right. Shot at a box and it was full of holes from the pieces. I had loaded some 60 grn Sierra JHP loaded and tried them. Dead on and every shot a hit after that. Found out from some guys on this site they had the same problems. I tried loading some Nosler BT in 55grn and they worked well. Same load as before. I like the 60 grn better as they seem to carry better at longer distances and sure make a mess of the game hit.
I don't push the .223 bullets from my Contender fast enough to come apart.

Mike

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
<BorisBarker>
posted
Dont know how expensive theya re in your part of the world mate, the Speer 52gn HPBT Match work like a charm in my 1:9

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
35gr v-max run through my 1/9 ar @3400fps,,,,no problem.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote