New
Find
Notify
Tools

3/8th inch prairie dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got back from a trip out west to the Nebraska panhandle. Though the weather was coolish (40's) and cloudy, a few dogs were up. I managed to smack some with my ol' M-70 Hornet loaded with 35 gr Hornady Vmaxes fueled by Lil' Gun. Shot a few with my brother's 243 M-70 varminter after they got too shy to stay up within 125 yards.

Feeling that we sufficiently warmed up, we broke out the .375 H&H. We put the sneak on and as we got to the top of a small hill, he rested the 375 on the steady sticks and touched off the old warhorse. Surprisingly enough, the Remington 260 grain RN factory load killed the dog instantly and I did not need to finish it off with the "stopper" (the Hornet). I guess we didn't need the Nosler Partitions after all.

After that, the town went quiet. I didn't get a chance to test it on any more dogs.

Pretty neat day all in all even if the dogs were shy and it was less than ideal conditions. Kinda cool having two grand old guns side by side chambered for the largest and the smallest calibers available in the pre-64 offerings.

Happy Holidays!

Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE - My last trip out for pds in eastern CO we used among other things an open sighted 03 Springfield in 30-06, an early Model 70 Win. (1956)in .270 with a peep site. On the hits no follows up shots were needed and I didn't have to load up the Failsafes.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote