New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 vs 25 06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey varmit hunters...which caliber would you prefer of the 2 and why?
I was thinking of getting a 25 06 Ruger #1 for deer, but kinda think it's a little big for yotes and such, which gives me an excuse to get a 223!! Problem is I have a 223 in a Ruger #3 and the barrel on it is a little shot for those long distance shots...
Heck, maybe I'll get a NEF in 243 and buy the extra barrels for $100 each and be done with it all, sure would be cheaper!

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 243 personally, its plenty for any deer and also a great little critter getter. Why not just rebarrel the 223 or is it a junker or you just want an excuse to get a NEW gun?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean by the 223 barrel is a little shot? Did you mean to say short?
The 223 performs quite well at 20 inches and over, so barrel length doesn't seem to be a problem with this round. However, if you hunt songdogs where shots tend to be fairly long, say over 300 yards, you might be better off with the 25-06 or even a larger caliber.
I've had good results with a 223 and a 22-250 to most sane ranges and they are a lot more fun to shoot over a long day of varmint culling than the 25-06. With proper bullets in the 50 grain range, the little 223 performs just fine and is a kick in the butt and cheap to shoot all day for that all-important practice.

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Go with the ,243 win! Kiks mildly, shoots flat and good bullet selection available!

Regards Ben
Iceland

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger 77 in 25/06 and a remington 700vls in 223. I take both out for yotes and ground hogs... It all depends on the actual area that I am in. There is nothing like a 10lb ground hog being hit with a 85gr bullet doing 3500fps. I like my 223 for presision shoots out to about 400yrds on ground hogs.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote