THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Questions for .22 K-Hornet users

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for .22 K-Hornet users
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a Bullberry 20" bull Contender carbine barrel (w/hanger) coming, along with the fore-end, W-W brass, Redding dies, & shellholder.
What I've read leads me to believe that small pistol primers will help with accuracy and velocity spreads. I'm going to stick with 40-50gr. bullets (V-Max, TNT,
Nosler BTs), and use OEM 55gr. bullets with 85% charges for fireforming.

Now, assuming that I'm going to use this barrel on varmints as small as p-dogs and crows, and as large as groundhogs (and hopefully, foxes and bobcats), what
magnification scope will work best?

Assume high-quality optics, and ranges of 125 yds. or less; the scope should be powerful enough to let me see the bullet holes on 100yd. targets.

2x-8x?
3x-9x?
3x-10x?
Or higher, say, 5.5x-16.5x?

TIA,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, I think the 3X9 will both fill the bill and be the cheapest. My K Hornet showed a preference for the semi-pointed bullets 40 - 45 gr. Good hunting.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Power enough for your intended quarry at 125 yards and power enough to see .22 bullet holes in paper may be two different things.

A fixed 6x is plenty for varmint hunting at 125 paces, but if conditions are less than perfect, you may not be able to see bullet holes in paper with less than 10x.

Buy the right scope for hunting, whatever that may be, and use a spotting scope at the range.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pecos.

Stonecreek,
I understand your point of view; I'm not a big user of fixed power scopes, although I have some very good ones. This gun won't see a lot of use, so the Burris 6xHBR/PA I have laying around may be just the thing! I'll have to check it out to see if it makes a good match.

I wasn't trying to avoid using a spotting scope; my Leupold 20x50 is always used at the range.
I was trying to establish a level of resolution for the scope.

Thanks.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George: I neglected to mention that my .22 K-hornet wears a Leupold compact 3-9. It seems just right for this gun, however I don't think I'd be handicapped with a compact 2-7 or the Compact 6X which I have on a Kimber .22 WMR.

Sounds like your Burris 6X would be a good match for the K-hornet.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sonecreek, it's an excellent scope. I used to have it on my 10-22 and could see the bullet holes at 100yds. when the sun was hitting the target directly. I'd forgotten how good it was, far brighter than a Leupold 3x-9x set @ 6x.

With its target turrets, 1/8MOA adjustments, and adjustable objective, it should be perfect!

Thanks!

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,you have good enough to give me advice so will in turn offer mine,I shoot several TC carbines as well as the 14" version.one of the best scopes I have found that works well on the carbines is their 3x9,or a 2x7 don't realy need more than that for the Hornet.It will balance better in the long run

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. That's about the power range I was thinking. I am going to try the Burris 6xHBR/PA on the K-Hornet; second choice is a Burris Signature 2x-8x.

I'm saving the 3x-9x for my SSK 6.5JDJ carbine barrel [Big Grin]

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Burris Compact 2-7x that I was going to get rid of. Might you have interest in it? Just thought since I read your post that I'd offer it up for consideration. Email me if you want to talk further...

Bret

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bret,

Thanks for the offer, but I have a lot of spare scopes sitting idle.

Try posting it in the Classifieds forum.

George