Find
Notify
Tools

giant varmints in Australia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted
In australia we have varmint of huge proportions, when hunted under licience....Roo's

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dugga:

Sorry for a dumb question.. but what exactly do kangaroos do that make them such varmints.. minus that there seem to be millions of them in the outback?

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
We would have to check with an Aussie, but the biggest problem with roos, is they have no natural preditor on the sheep side of the dingo fence.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Australia is a very dry continent, not a lot of feed and not a lot of water, our farmers livestock has to compete with over 20 million Kangaroos in almost each state, almost 100 million of them, culling 5-10 million a year for pet food and human consumption, does not even put a dint in the population as they are very prolific breeders.
The Green movement would have the rest of the world believe that they are almost extinct. LOL

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are apparently a lot more roos here than when white man first arrived a couple of hundred years ago . More man- made water points and feed (crops) . They knock down more crop than they eat .
Can actually be quite challenging to hunt on foot if they've been shot at before .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveYou mentioned human consumption? What do they taste like? Any good? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aren't there wild camels and donkeys too? Seems like I read an article about culling them...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, they taste like chicken.

It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance

Posts: 249 | Location: kentucky USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Bartsche, they taste like chicken.

That would be an emu . They look like 6 foot high , 150lb chooks . Kangaroos look like big dogs with long tails and oversized back legs .They hop around the streets of all our capital cities and crap on the steps of the Sydney opera house ! lol
Yes we do have feral camels , donkeys and I shot a tiger recently . See "Big cat shot in W.A." on the Aussie / NZ forum .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
waveYou mentioned human consumption? What do they taste like? Any good? beerroger
Excellent. It's a fine red meat. Low fat. Widely available in the supermarkets and butchers, though I'd guess that most people haven't tried it.

I'll be having some tomorrow night.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb747:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bartsche:
I'll be having some tomorrow night.

Thank you! I kinda like the idea that I can eat what I shoot. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a reason a lot of Utes have roo bars...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote