THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Cyphering Savage synopsis.....HELP!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyphering Savage synopsis.....HELP!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
Eeker Help me out here. I have not followed Savage at all. My bro' in law had a .223 and it shot well but felt clunky. I have not considered on since then and that was more than 15 years ago.

Well times change, and I now have a son who is wanting a rifle. I'm torn between getting him what I think would be a keeper, and what he's heard about.
He's been shooting my Bob, which is a M77 tang safety RL in a shortened stock. He likes it and thinks it's cool he can use it for varmints as well as big game. This year is going to be his first time with a tag in his pocket.

What I was thinking was a Ruger MkII in UL and of course .257 Roberts.

He's been talking Savage, and I can't figure out the model numbering system. It looks like the Bob isn't an option in the Savage. I thought about a compact .223 first, then he'll have a bit of time to grow and I can put him into a full length big game rifle.

So what are my options?
Does Savage make a Syn / SS ?
or Syn / Blue?
Youth models?

I was going cross-eyed. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate, Google Savage Arms and look at the web site. There are at least two youth blue/plastic CF models, short action and long, with an adjustable muzzle brake (on/off) to reduce recoil at the range. No .257 Bob, but you can get a short action .243 or a long action .25-06. There may be youth models in the package (scope included) rifles too, not sure offhand.

The key is, the letter Y in the model no. means youth.

I think the Savage is the very best gun for a young shooter. That Accutrigger is the safest thing going. You can drop a Savage out of the tree stand on its butt with the safety off, and it won't fire unless the trigger is pulled, regardless of how light the trigger is set. Savage puts that trigger on all its bolt rifles now, .308, .22 L.R., black powder, whatever.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savages are tremendous value for the money; their accuracy is second to none.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nate, Check out www.savageshooters.com they had a model number translation sheet on the front page.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'm just lacking patience. The were 7 "series" and 44 different rifles in just three series. The Hunter series had everything starting with 1's. 11F,111F, 11FL, 111FL then you have to open each one to see what they offer. It takes a lot of time, and when you're not overly impressed it's a hard pill to swallow.

I guess I'll have to try it when I can have a beer or three after some BBQ. I'll maybe be a little more patient then.

Fjold, I pulled up Sav Shooters and looked around a bit. It could become a black hole on the internet, there's a lot there.

Thanks Guys, Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nate, the model numbers can be confusing,but they are all the same basic actions, just have different options of stock, finish, barrel attached. Also, 2 digits are short action, 3 digits are long actions. And to confuse you even more, the Stevens line is a Savage without the accu-trigger, but all the accuracy. You might look into those as well. For somewhere around 300 or so, you've got a keeper shooter for a bargain price.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Download the catalog here: http://www.savagearms.com/images/pdf/catalogs/SavageCatalog2007.pdf

Pages 63-67 have a chart that lists by model number all the calibers, features, etc. available.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIt may not suit, but the 4 Stevens I got would make great starters. They are better than some of the stuff I hunted with in the 50s and 60s.You may have to shorten the stock and fiddle with the trigger but that's about it. All four of mine were MOA out of the box. The .223 for example did a 3 shot < 1 1/2" group at 400 yds. this week. That's the best it ever shot and that was with a hot dirty barrel. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I just bought a kid sized 870 express mag in 20ga last week end, and need to order a NEF 20ga break.(it's what he wants!?)

My next order to fill for the boyz will be rifles.

I may want a new toy for myself as I've put off the temptations for a while. I'm considering an AR again. Last time I got into the AR building mode I wound up with a new house. I guess I need to be carefull. Nate