THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Non-Plastic Tip Varmint Bullets

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Plastic Tip Varmint Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been trying to work up a load for the 50gr vmax in my 223 and not having much luck. Thought about trying some of the non-plastic tip bullets as it does shoot the 55gr midsouth nightmares fairly well, but not much splat factor.

Anybody have any to recommend?

Here are the ones I was looking at
Sierra 50gr blitz (1340) or (1330) or (1320)
Speer 50gr TNT (4705)
Hornady 50gr SXSP (2240)

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 55 grain HPBT is my favorite bullet in a Swift.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has to be the first .22 cal rifle I 've heard of that won't shoot a 50 gr. Vmax. In every rifle I've tried them in they were as reliable as sun rises and dark nights.
50 gr. Speer TNT would be my next choice or nearly any Sierra 50-55 gr. bullet.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 50 gr blitz is very explosive but it may not take max loads in a 223. it's designed for 32-3300 fps max. sometimes it works beyond that, and sometimes it doesnt

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I don't know what I might be doing wrong, but none of my 3 223s seem to care for them much. 1.25 to 1.5 inch is the norm while other bullets stay under MOA all the time. If I can find something that will hover around .75 moa, I'd be fine, should work for pdogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 50 SPSX is an fantastic shooter. I would also agree about it being rare for a gun not to shoot the 50 V-max. What are you using for powder? What twist? Either way a 9 or 12 twist, should shoot the 50 V-Max.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:

This is a classic bullet for the .224's. It was my go to bullet until the BT's and A-Max's hit the market. I would think it's still a great option.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:

It's the best bullet in my 22-250 also.

Other 50 grain bullets that shoot well in 223's, 222's, and 222 Magnums I have are:

Speer 50 gr TNT
Speer 52 gr HP
Speer 52 gr HPBT
Sierra 50 gr SP (1320)
Nosler 52 gr HPBT
Nosler 50 gr BT

There are other variables in the accuracy equation besides bullets, and you might want to sort them out with your particular rifle/scope and load.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Just ready to try something different, gun shoots fine with two other bullets.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe 34gr HP Varmint nite mare has been driven below MOA,safely, at OVER 3950 fps.

Probably the least expensive varmint bullet on the market today. (Mid South).Splatter ? I don't know but bet it will. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The t-n-t bullets will splat if you drive them fast enough.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

does 39,000 fps out of a 223 give new meaning to the word "oomph". Are you getting any pressure signs?
dancing
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not know if they still make it, but in my 223 the Hornady 55gr SX [Super Exlosive] was very acccurate and had a great splat factor on prairie dogs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Bartsche,

does 39,000 fps out of a 223 give new meaning to the word "oomph". Are you getting any pressure signs?
dancing
GWB

dancingCaught me cold on that one. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of luck with the Speer 50 gr TNT, 55 gr TNT and the 52 grain Speer HP... accurate, explosive and not finicky at all... works well in twists from one in 14 down to one in 7 in my rifles...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the speer TNT line up.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Remington 50gr PLHP in my 222's, and a couple buddies use the same in their 223's. Accuracy in our rifles is excellent as well as the splat factor.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You could consider the MidwayUSA Dogtown bullets or the Midsouth Shooters Varmint Nightmare bullets. I believe they are the same bullets but packaged in different boxes for the different companies.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TNT is on the list for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
+8 for the 50 gr. Speer TNT's.

thumb

Also second the reco of the Sierra 55 gr. HPBT's or SPBT's but the "Splat Factor" won't be anywhere near as vivid as with the Speers unless you step up to a 22-250 or 220 Swift class Varminter.

Gotta say I am surpised though; out a .223 Rem. Hornday A or V-Max's in pretty much any weight from 35 grains to 55 grs. in a slow twist .224" bore in virtually any chambering are normally, well.....really good boo-lets.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the hornady 50 grain sxsp. order in bulk from pats reloading.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot close to 1k of the 55gr midsouth varmint nightmare extremes as pdogs, but not enough splat factor out of the 223 much past 200 yds. Plenty lethal, no crawl offs, but looking to up the splat factor.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb177:
Been trying to work up a load for the 50gr vmax in my 223 and not having much luck. Thought about trying some of the non-plastic tip bullets as it does shoot the 55gr midsouth nightmares fairly well, but not much splat factor.

Anybody have any to recommend?

Here are the ones I was looking at
Sierra 50gr blitz (1340) or (1330) or (1320)
Speer 50gr TNT (4705)
Hornady 50gr SXSP (2240)

I used to buy Sierra BK in the 500 packs. Haven't bought or used them in years.

I use either the Sierra 1330 or 1360 for pds. More accurate in all of our rifles and much cheaper.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I really don’t worry about the “splat factor”. A kill is a kill. If I shoot a PD at 500+ yards and it manages to drag itself back to the hole, I don’t loss any sleep over it.

The lower I can keep the “Splat Factor”, the fewer hawks I have. Hawks pretty much end my setups. Hawks Respond to the sound of varmint shooting and can smell blood in the air. Free food with no work on their part. Go figure!

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
If your .223 doesn't like longer projectiles like the V-max, it may not like the TNT's which need to be pushed rather fast to obtain reliable expansion.

The Hornady SXSP's are a good idea as the normal SP can be substituted for larger game.

I have had great success with bulk W-W 46 HP projectiles at all velocities from the Hornet to the Swift over the last 28 years. For a slow twist barrel, they may work for you.

Also they have an awesome 'Splat' factor.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've had 50 grain TNTs become quite explosive at lower velocities on sage rats and prairie dogs..

I concur on the 46 grain Win HP....

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally load in the middle of the spectrum, no need for hotrodding a 223.

To be honest, I've always wanted to try the tnt's. I was hoping to gain some information on various bullets from you guys' experience in the field. I only shoot pdogs once a year and prefer red mist. I only shoot my 223's out to 300 - 350 yds.