New
Find
Notify
Tools

17-225
 Login/Join

<blackjack>
posted
I just purshased a 17-225 on a single shot Sako action. Does anyone have any ifo on this 'nasty' little wildcat. I have the loading dies but no info on where to start for loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some stuff on the 17-225 I am in the prosses of building one you can reach me at WolfHunter@wolf-web.com I have regular reloading Info and some thoughts on new Info to use todays bullets and pouders I look forward to your E mail have a great nite : Coyote Slayer

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sound like a very dandy little guy this 17-225 , could you please supply me with case dimensions , ballistics etc. I have never heard if such a case guys.

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure I can do that it starts as a 225 win. and goes down to 17 cal as 225 brass is hard to find you can use 30-30 brass to make the case you need. The round was worked about twenty to thurty years ago in that time frame moast droped the case as a barrel bunner but moast people that owen a 17 think that way.

The moast well used bullet of the time was the 20 and the 25gr bullet it was tested along with the 17-22-250 and the 17-224 weatherby but the case showed that the 225 was a max case using IMR 4350 it topped out at 4444fps in the 17-22-250 it took four more grains of powder to reach the same speed PO ackley was working on a neck change to 40 degrees instead of the 30 degree he had great case life and barrel life.

I met a gentleman that has one of these in the 40 degree style he named it the 17 Chuck Buster he put 1300 rounds through his rifle and took it back to shillen when the old man was working and had him check the barrel and there was no problem with it and that man still ownes the rifle he only lives about 40 miles from shillen. Now flip in time to here and now we have way better pouders and bullets to use moast will still say it is over bore but few have tried it or even know what it is.It goes the way of the 220 swift or it fouls all the time agan not a true statment.

I love 17 cals and kill a lot of wolves with them the 17-225 is my new toy to build but I am going to go with the 40 degree and see how much better it really is. It is a really super looking case and does stand out hope this gives you an idea about it, this was the fast storey line [Smile] [Smile] :Coyote Slayer

[ 06-12-2002, 03:56: Message edited by: Coyote Slayer ]

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you take a look at some of Todd Kindler's .17 cal bullets for your .17-225. He makes 25, 27, 29 and 30 gr HPBT's that have an incredibly high BC for a .17 (the 30 gr .172 bullet has a BC of 0.290, slightly higher than a 60-gr .224 cal bullet). In a case like the .17-225, these bullets should really shine and get up to 4000 fps. In comparison, a .22-250 AI would have a hard time pushing a 60 gr bullet to 4000 fps, so the .17 should have that one beat for trajectory and wind drift. Also, remember that a cartridge that was considered overbore and a barrel burner 30 yrs ago may not be anymore, due to advances in powders and barrel steel. Good luck.

www.woodchuckden.com