New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornets rifles
 Login/Join

<squirrel skinner>
posted
I'm interested in getting a 22 hornet rifle, do any of you have suggestions on the brands, at about $500?
skinner

one of us
posted Hide Post
The most economical would be the NEF Handi-Rifle. They have come out with a Hornet barrel without iron sights which looks better to me than the old iron sighted one. Then there are the CZ Hornets and the Ruger Hornets. The CZ Hornets are very popular and quality rifles. Ruger makes two versions and lots of people don't like them. I have the VBZ which is the heavy barreled stainless version. Mine shoots slightly under Minute of Gopher which is good enough for me. If you get a Hornet you might consider having it reamed to a K-Hornet and the brass will last longer. Plus you get a slight velocity increase. The increased case life and headspacing on the shoulder are the main benefits. I don't know what it is but there is something about the Hornet. It's not a benchrest cartridge or a long range one and certainly not fast compared to a .17 Ackley Hornet, .20 Var-targ, .19 Calhoon but it has it's own following. I want a .19 calhoon but can't bear to change my Hornet over so am slowly saving for one of the Calhoon rifles. If any of this made any sense it's a minor miracle :-)

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
mike obviously has some hornet experience, but id like to add a little to that from my own. i would definately ream out to a k-hornet. the increase in speed and case life is well worth it. the NEF handi rifle, i doubt would be a purchase, all ive seen of them, they are not real great shooters due to excessively long throats. i have two rugers, one shot real well alone, one i had the bolt tightened,and that really helped. probably gonna do that to my other. another great gun for the hornet or k-hornet, you will have to find used. that is the TC contender. they shoot very well, and i love mine for a carry around dog gun.

Posts: 21 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a CZ 527 American. Find what it likes and keep your loads on the mild side. You will never look back....

<Rawhider>
posted
There some savage 340's reasonable that take a 4 shot magazine which is nice in my state for transport,but they may not feed if reamed to the k-hornet-Rawhider

one of us
posted Hide Post
The least expensive and most accurate "Hornet" made is your existing .22 CF loaded with light bullets and IMR 4759. Just use 1/2 of the normal charge by weight that you use now but substitue 4759 for the regular powder.

This load will give about 2700 fps.

For instance the Swift might use 40 grs of 4064 with the 40 gr bullet. Use 20 grains of 4759 and you have a free Hornet.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ahhhh, but Savage99, you're missing the point! Hornet owners own them because they are one of the most efficient "little" varminters out there.. using only 13gr of powder can yield 3000fps easily in K-Hornets... and close to that in the "regular" hornet. If you wish, you can load them down to .22mag performance easily.. and even down to rimfire performance if you want.. especially if you cast bullets. On the other end, you can really get close to lower end .222 performance. And, it's relatively quiet... doesn't rupture eardrums when out walking about, taking targets of chance... (plinking)
.... and, they're cute. [Big Grin]

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.......oh, and Squirrel skinner... at that price, I think I'd give the Browning Micro-medallion (or whatever they're calling it now) a CLOSE look. I've heard some really good reports on it.. and if I were going to trade in my TC Contender carbine for anything, I think that might be my choice.. although I like the looks of the CZ, also. One good thing about a single shot, is the ability to seat the bullet out to wherever you want to, in order to fine tune your loads... some magazine-fed rifles don't allow that...

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
I own 2 Hornets, a Ruger 77/22VHZ, and a CZ American.
The Ruger, although very good-looking, was very difficult to get to shoot well. I learned alot about triggers, bedding, and reloading from that Ruger. It's scheduled to be rebarreled in .19 Calhoon, as soon as I can get it to the 'smith.
The CZ is also a fine looking rifle, although somewhat smaller than the Ruger. The workmanship is excellent throughout, it came with a free-floated barrel, a couple dabs of bedding compound around the recoil lug, and the set trigger is excellent. The owner's manual gives excellent instructions for adjusting the trigger, and it's easy to bring it down to 2 pounds.
The Ruger magazine is a rotary mechanism, and there's not much you can do about rounds that are longer than the magazine. You'll just have to shoot the Ruger single-shot, which is very easy. The chamber is right there, when you open the bolt.
The CZ's a different story, single-shot. The locking lugs are on the front of the bolt, and the chamber's a long way into the receiver. The CZ's magazine is very easy to modify, though. It's a box-type magazine, with a plastic spacer at the back of the follower. I made a new spacer from a block of ABS plastic with a band saw and a sander. I made a longer follower from some aluminum stock. Now, I can easily fit longer cartridges in the magazine.
All in all, the CZ is much better value for the money. The CZ just flat-out shoots!
I like 13 grains of Lil'Gun, behind a Berger 22/40MEF, with a Federal #100 small pistol primer. I seat the bullets .020" off the lands.
Regards, George. [Big Grin]

<Reloader66>
posted
Browning also offers the the 22 hornet and it is a good shooter. I have a CZ 22 Hornet and it ha always shot very well. My CZ hornet is going to be rechambered to 221 Fireball next month. I owned the Ruger 22 hornet and it was one of the poorest grouping rifles I have owned not to mention the lousy trigger. That Ruger is no longer in my gun closet. I am certain the two piece bolt has much to do with it's poor grouping ability. The Ruger 22 hornet is designed like a rimfire rifle. Any center fire cartridge needs a strong lock up system on the cartridge for best accuracy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger makes some really nice stuff but the 77/22 Hornet I had was one of the most disappointing rifles I have ever owned, and I owned (and still own) more than a few. Most all of the guys I've talked to who've had any experience with this rifle feel the same way I do about them.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've related numerous times,that between friends and I we are good for a dozen or so Ruger 77/22 Hornets. All responded amazingly to a barrel setback and rechambering to K-Hornet. Most of them were bobbed to 20".

All were rechambered with a throat geometry that allows the 33 or 35gr V-Max to kiss rifling and function as a repeater. Same goes the 30gr Calhoun's.

I've over 3000 rds through one of my 77/22 K-Hornets and it is a wonderful little package................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,
That's what I've heard from you and others. But when you spend damn near $500 on a rifle you shouln't have dump more into it after you get the thing home and find out it's a POS. Ruger just doesn't get it when it comes to this particular rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Scoop a used Ruger 77/22 VHZ and spend the $100 to eek a K-Hornet outta it. The trigger is easy to tweek and re-spring. The inherent weakness is the sloppy Factory chambering and headspacing the Hornet's rim.

The barrel setback and rechambering,cures all.

Play your cards right and you have $450-ish into a helluva rifle..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the way to save the entire $450! Load 14 grs of 4759 in your 223 behind the cute 40 gr Nosler BT and it will do anything that a "Hornet" will do.

This will save the $100 in rechambering and the cost of new dies not to mention the five shot case life of the K Hornet.

If some beast is far away load a full house .223! That "4759" load will hit right on at 100 for a 223 that's sighted in 1.5" high at 100 with it's full house load. What could be easier than that?

Want a 22 RF Mag load for your .223? Just load 8 grs of the same powder and use the bottom plex on your variable for a aiming point. Sight it in by changing the power. Increase the magnification to lower the point of aim. That could be easier than that? I already said that.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 Hornet and love it. Very accurate. Great for woman and young children to shoot with at the range.
Springbok

Posts: 84 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people have a pre-disposition of not liking something because of something they heard in a gunshop once and not enough of an open mind....like Hornets and cartridges with a belt.

The Hornet is a pure joy of a little cartridge to shoot. It's quiet, has virtually no recoil, has nostalgia, and is capable of fine performance. They can be troublesome, but not to the point of discounting one, unless you have that pre-disposition.

I fought with a Ruger 77, light/blue rifle for quite a while before I got it dialed in to the way I wanted it. People told me to forget about it...that the Hornet was an inherantly inaccurate cartridge and you can't expect better than a couple inches at 100 yards. Truth be told, I am one of the hard headedest people you will ever run across. This time it worked to my favor! I kept working with the rifle until I got it where I wanted it, and now, it is my main go-to gun for varminting.

Although I love my little Ruger Hornet, I had enough trouble and there are many reports out there of people who have had or do have rifles that don't perform like they should, so I would suggest staying away from the Ruger. Now, the Ruger No. 1 may be a different route to try. I have a No. 1 in the Hornet, but have yet to shoot it. The word around here is that the No. 1 can fine shooters...

I would love to have one of the Brownings...that would probably be my suggestion to you. The reports on the Micro is great, from what I have heard. Or the CZ. I hear they are great rifles, but I have never seen one to be able to comment.

If you really want to do yourself a favor, wait a while, save another $500 and buy yourself a Cooper! You will then see that all the claims that a Hornet can't shoot worth a darn is all hogwash.

The best thing I can say about reloading the Hornet is to just be carefull and take your time. The brass is thin and delicate, and it doesn't take much of a screw-up to ruin a case. Also, increase your loadings slowly...small case means fast gains in pressure. You can fully expect 10 loadings on your brass, probably more, possibly much more. I have Hornet brass that is at ten firings and still going strong, so don't believe the myths that Hornets have short case life. And hell, even if case life was three firings, brass is only $12/hundred.

The .22 Hornet is a wonderfully fun cartridge. It is great for gophers, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, chucks. Works pretty good on fox and is capable of taking coyote if done properly.

Punching it out to K-Hornet is also an option that might interest you. I hear it gives a little more velocity and even better case life. You can get the K in the Cooper too!

Whichever route you go, have fun with it!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
<mbkddd>
posted
Squirrel Skinner,
If you do a search on this topic you will definitely come to a conclusion you have a choice between a Browning (micro medalion - no longer made, but browning still makes the micro- same gun - not as pretty) highly accurate.
Or the CZ American. Another fine gun that you will see as a result of your search.
I own a Browening Micro, my sorry ass bro owns a CZ. Provides lots of competition/bragging rights between us.
Bottom line is stay away from Ruger & NEF. Your hardest challenge will be to find the right load combination your new rifle will shoot.
Hey, that is the fun with this cartridge.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by squirrel skinner:
I'm interested in getting a 22 hornet rifle, do any of you have suggestions on the brands, at about $500?
skinner

I owned a Ruger M7722/VHZ (stainless Hornet, laminated stock. It was a good rifle. Unlike others mine was very accurate, punching 3 shot .5" groups at 100 yards. Unlike most, I choose to use heavy bullets (50 gr. Vmax)but got consistent 1 shot kills on pdogs out to 200 yards and slightly beyond. I was pleased with the rifle but I also was pushing my loads such that brass usually lasted for about 3 loads and then started to fail (case head separations). This is a pain in the field as the front of the case sticks in the chamber and is troublesome to remove. The case design is old, is very thin, and is frankly obsolete.

I sold the Hornet and bought a Remington M700 Classic in .221 Fireball. I could not be more pleased. It uses 3 gr. more powder compared to the hornet, is more accurate, and is more powerful and capable of taking Coyotes using the proper bullets. I don't miss the Hornet at all and am very pleased with the Fireball. I would recommend this approach to anyone considering the Hornet in a bolt rifle. You'll be MUCH happier with the .221 with little or now downside.

Regards,
re5513

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornet's and K Hornet's are big time fun.I have one of each a Cooper K, and Anschutz Hornet both over $500.00 both no kidding 1/2 inch gun's ( so much for the old hornet's are inaccurate myth). I also have a CZ in .17 HMR average's around 3/4 inch at 100 yrds.That's 3/4 inch groups with a rimfire that cost $369.00---get the CZ --- Ruger makes some fine fire arm's but the Hornet's take a lot of tweaking...Try some LilGun powder and a 40 gr. V Max or BlitzKing , around 3000 with the Hornet, 3200 K Hornet...hornetguy's right they are efficient...and big time fun!!!---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are shootung a hornet or k hornet and not loading Hodgdon Lil'Gun powder you are not getting the ultimate out of that cartridge. It also works well in the 32H&R Mag.and other pistol cartridges.Try it,you'l like it!

Bravo

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
<TERMINATOR>
posted
If you like to tinker with things that do not work well out of the box, and buy new sears etc. to correct ham handded trigger pulls, and put up with bolts that flex in the middle and naturally seat the round inconsistently, leading to inherent poor accuracy, buy a Ruger. I spent a long time and a lot of money figuring this out. Also, add a few hundred dollars to the purchase cost to attempt to fix these problems. I apolgize if I seem to emphatic or emotional.

If you want a good gun that will shoot well out of the box, a bolt action, buy a CZ or the Browning Micro Hunter. After much debate, I bought the Browning and had it converted to a K hornet. Then I could not quite get the trigger where I wanted it and bought a new spring from Timmney for about $8.00. Works fine now. Took all of 5 minutes to install the spring and I am not any good at mechanical work.

I still have my eye on the CZ.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I'm with Savage99, but only because I'm a cheapo.

I have a .17HMR and more'n one .223 boltgun that I feed 12.5 of 2400 with just about any mollied bullet up to 60 grains. It works too well to allow me the excuse to go buy a Hornet! Damnable success, huh?

I'd buy a CZ tomorrow if the situation were different.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 4 .22 Hornets:
[1]A Savage 219-B, single shot, that had aaan oversize firing pin hole.
[2] A "Topper" by New england Firearms [Single Shot]that gave me a nickle size goup at 150 yards
[3] Ruger #3. A 3/4 inch group was normal.
[4] I now have a Ruger 77/22-Hornet that shoots 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards. The load is 9.7 grains of 2400.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by re5513:

skinner[/qb]

I owned a Ruger M7722/VHZ (stainless Hornet, laminated stock. It was a good rifle. Unlike others mine was very accurate, punching 3 shot .5" groups at 100 yards. Unlike most, I choose to use heavy bullets (50 gr. Vmax)but got consistent 1 shot kills on pdogs out to 200 yards and slightly beyond. I was pleased with the rifle but I also was pushing my loads such that brass usually lasted for about 3 loads and then started to fail (case head separations). This is a pain in the field as the front of the case sticks in the chamber and is troublesome to remove. The case design is old, is very thin, and is frankly obsolete.

Regards,
re5513[/QB][/QUOTE]

I have the same rifle and found that 50 gr. Rem PLHP pushed by 11.5 gr. of H4227 does 2700 fps and shoots sub-minute. I had a bit of a surprise on my last trip to the range where I found that 10.5 gr. of WW 296 pushing the Win 45 gr. HP shot surprisingly well. The disapointment of the trip was test loads using 12.5 gr of Lil Gun touched off with a Fed 100 primer, with either the 40 gr BT or V-max that had groups similar to shotgun patterns. I've had reasonable accuracy with these bullets when they were combined with 296, 2400, and 4227, so I was a bit surprised by the poor showing and the previous glowing Lil Gun load reports.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went woodchuck hunting with a guy some years back who had a Brno Hornet. This guy was making some incredible shots with it. Over time I grew to know him better. He was indeed a good shot, but that rifle made him even better. I'm not sure if Brno still makes them. They were sure a winner. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Chuck from arkansaw>
posted
Another vote for the C.Z. I have had a Lux for about 5 years and it is the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. On the 1st. day, with loads I had put together before I even got the rifle, I shot groups in the .3's. My hottest load of 11.7 gr of H110 with a 40 gr. V-max gives me right at 3,000 fps. and 1/2" groups. By the way, the Brno hornet is the same rifle as the C.Z. It was imported during the 70's as the Brno fox.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Well now y'all went and made a liar out of me - I bought a Hornet the other day when I found an unfired NEF SB2 in a friend's pawnshop for next to nothing ($120).

Guess what?! It shoots all two loads I've tried into less than MOA vertically-strung groups. Calling the trigger Savage-like would be speaking charitably, but it cartwheels gophers about as well as anything. I don't much care for the necessarily too-high scope rings, though.

Elegant, graceful, lively it ain't. Neither am I!

Cheers

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Squirrel skinner: I sure like my latest of many many Hornet Rifles I have owned in the past. It is the Ruger #1-B, this is the model with the 26" barrel. I have a Leupold 6X18 variable scope on it and even though the Rifle is not overly accurate it kills Varmints in slick fashion and looks real good while doing so! The sport shop in Ennis, Montana had them (Ruger #1-B's) on sale at Christmas time for $499.00! I nearly bought another one then!
Good luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cz classic hornet and I really like it. I have a 3-9x50 leupold mounted on top and it really is a quality rig. It is my "headshooting" spotlighting rifle.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I'll always push the Contender/G2. Gives one other options as well. Whatever floats your boat, the Hornet is a fun cartridge and you won't regret spending the money. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i own cz american classic try 9.2g of 2400 with hornady 45g bullit for the 218 bee ! try that for starters !!!!!!!!

Posts: 69 | Location: great britain | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MIke,

the .22 Hornet reminds me of a mini .375 H&H round in a way (with a Rim).
[Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Chuck from Arkansaw,

Thanks for mentioning that the CZ is the old Brno. I suspected as much but wasn't certain. I just left the CZ site and am really impressed with the 527 model in the .22 Hornet. I like the one with the European stock, quite attractive. I've always wanted a Hornet and think that's the one I'll get. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal once you buy 1 cz you will want more !! could work out expensive. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a winchester model 43 in 22 hornet that'll do groups you can cover with a dime. I see one very once in awhile for sale and would recommend one if you came across one. If I were buying new...probably the contender or Browning.

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
About 2 years ago, I got a wild hair and decided I was going to get a 22 hornet. I called a buddy of mine one Saturday and told him I was going to have one by the end of the day. Well, we ended up at a gun shop out of town and came across two nef sb2 hornets and bought them both. Inside of a week, I had bought and installed a scope on mine and we proceded to shoot it the following weekend. I could not have been happier. With factory ammo, it grouped a little over moa with a stiff trigger and sandbags for a rest. As we started reloading, the groups shrunk to under moa pretty consistantly. When he got a scope on his rifle, it shot every bit as good as mine. $199.00 for the rifle, A couple of hundred for the scope and a little left over for dies... You really need to reload the hornet due to ammo prices and you will be under $500.00. You don't have to take my word for it... Bill D. over at "go go varmint go" is having pretty good luck with his.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northeastern Oklahoma | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
has anyone got a good load for the hornet using 35g v-max bullits and 2400 powder ??

Posts: 69 | Location: great britain | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont have a load for 2400, but my CZ shoots sub MOA with 12 Gr of Lil Gun and the 35 Gr V-MAX.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
steve, I'm using 10.0 of new 2400 with 40 grain spitzers, pistol primers. Mild in my loooooonnnngg throated NEF single shot. Something in that area would be a reasonable place to start with the 35 V-Max, I'd suppose.

Redial