Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.221 Remington Fireball
 Login/Join

posted
I have just purchased a .221 Remington Fireball to be used for varmit hunting at night. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good load to use. I may try some Lil' Gun powder with a 45 grain Speer Spitzer. Anyone have a better idea.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lil Gun, AA1680 and 40 grain Hornadys Vmax, 50 grain Noslers, and 50 grain Sierra Blitzkings over CCI Small Rifle primers have worked well for me.

I tried the 35 grain Hornadys but never could get them to group very well.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I have, I am sure, one of the only Fireballs in Africa. Mine shoots beautifully with 40 gr V-max's. Our South African powders are different to yours, so for interest sake only, 16gr S265 for 3400fpswww.graaffreinetsafaris.co.za[/URL]. I have not yet gotten a heavier bullet to shoot as well.
Know the dassie (hyrax)? I have countless on the ranch and this cartridge was made for them!
[URL=www.graaffreinetsafaris.co.za]

Posts: 784 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 700 Rem LS rifle likes 18.6 Gr of Re7 powder, Hornady 40 Gr V-Max bullets, Fed 205 M primers, in a Rem case. Under 3/4 inch five shot 100 Yd groups. The Feb 2007 issue of Predator Xtreme has a two page artical about the .221 Fireball

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ and it absolutely sings with AA1680 in Rem .221 cases with the 40 V-Max and 7 1/2BR primers.
RL7 was accurate but quite slow. That could well be the lot of powder I was using.
The 1680 was faster than expected and incredibly accurate for a factory rifle, very pleased to be sure.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm using 19 gr of RL7 and a 40 gr nosler BT. Its a great load, but you have to use a long drop tube and shake the case a bit to get it all in. You'll like the little 221, kinda of like a super hornet with low noise and good ballistics

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote