New
Find
Notify
Tools

crow wallow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have just ween something new. looking out my window sunday i saw 3 crows about 75 yards from the house, down an old driveway. whey were sort of snuggled down in the snow sort of wallowing around. anyway i tried two get 2 at a time lined up, but missed.they had been there for several hours wifemate informed me latter (she has been subtlety admonished) but they were back again doing the same thing. this time i didn't miss but when i looked to see what they were doing i found a circle about 2' in diameter in the snow with about a 3"hole in the center going down to the ground. No water there, nothing dead. don't know what the hell it is all about. After shooting the crow a couple dozen came from nowhere raising hell. maybe it was a hooker. anybody seen anything like it??

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's really, really cold up there , isn't it?

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not as cold as my home town: Winnipeg....minus 36 degrees.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never have seen them do that in northern wis.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Practicing for crop circles? Look at the first vid below

My best guess would be some sort of food fell on the ground there and over time they consumed it but beat down a circle in the meantime. Crows are known to be highly "intelligent" and somewhat interesting - like this:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
not as cold as my home town: Winnipeg....minus 36 degrees.

Yep...-40C with the windchill this morning. Weather has been so cold I decided I'm taking the girlfriend to Cuba in a month...hopefully we come home to spring temps instead of this deep freeze!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
erict - i looked a little like the first video, but these guys just stayed in the same place for a couple hours. no food there either. they haven[t been back since getting one shot

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Sort of a form of dusting is what I have figured what they are doing. I have seen them doing it often during the winter when we have a long time snow cover.

I shot one a week ago and wasn't long and there were a bunch flying around making a racket. I wondered if it was their form of a funeral.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote