THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    ...55gn B-tips are BIG GAME bullets!?!?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

...55gn B-tips are BIG GAME bullets!?!?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, today I took a roe buck, a very old male at 220meters, lasered, prone.

The 55grn ballistic tip from the 6PPC travelling @ 2600fps at that range, it entered and exited center shoulder, remaing intact.
The deer made a 30meter run for it before piling up.

Now I can have shot pigs through the head with this load and found messy exits, but it was put down to fragments of bone exiting.

This is now the 4th deer I have taken with these bullets, all exited, from varying angles and all produces very satisfactory kills, though only one was a lightning strike collapse.

I was hoping to use these bullets next year in Canada on coyotes and no have them exit, but I have perished that thought.

I have ordered some 58grain V-,ax, I hear they are more fragile.

While I have these, they make a great roe deer round and the rifle is handy to head shoot pigs too!...I'm having fun! [Cool]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe if they're going 2600 fps at the muzzle, which I assume would be around 2000 fps at 100 yards, they don't blow up, and instead expand, but out of the average 243, they're mess makers, and are FAR from being a big game bullet. I've shot a dozen coyotes with the 55 grain B-tip, and some exited with a grapefruit sized hole, and some did not. All these dogs went between 35 and 57 lbs. They don't compare to the average 140 lb whitetail deer. Obviously the big deer go well over 200 lbs.
I don't know how big your roe deer are, if they're in the 40-80 lb range, then the B-tips might work consistently, but then again, I would'nt consider the critter "big game".
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use the 58 grain V-max in my 243Win loaded to 3600 fps and at 250 yards it literally blows a ground squirrel in half. This is on a 1/2 kilo animal so it seems to be an extremely fragile bullet.

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...that was a joke about them being big game bullets, but somehow I cannot get them to perform as a varmint bullet.

The MV is around 3450fps, 28.9gn of VV133 behind them, so they are pretty quick.

2600fps is an approx velicity for 220m(250yrd?)

They seem to work just fine on roe, which are small animals, weighing no more than 65lb.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote