THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    glossy black optics and stainless guns, do they match?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

glossy black optics and stainless guns, do they match?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering what people thought of a glossy, black scope on a stainless steel barreled rifle. I already have a leupold glossy scope, and looking at a Savage .223 26inch stainless heavy barreled, rifle. I belive it is the model 12. What do you think of those guns? Thanks

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no trouble putting black scopes on stainless guns but that is me. You well find that the savage rifle very accurate. Triggers need work I put timmy triggers in mine.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks just fine too. I'm partial to matte black, but it's just a personal preference and I wouldn't buy one if I already had one in glossy.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am partial to matte scopes on stainless rifles over gloss or silver scopes. I think they look much better, but that's just my opinion. However, I have not found any game that really cared one way or the other.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<mydogtwig>
posted
I was wondering if I would but the black shoes with the brown belt or the brown shoes with the black belt. As long as no one else cares. I never thought of my rifle as a fashion statement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey hunter_fish, I have a Safe full of Stainless and Synthetic rifles which all wear black scopes. Kind of surprised me that 3 of them were gloss since I also prefer the matte finish, but 2 of those 3 are on 22 rimfires.

I've got a buddy who recently mounted a Stainless VariX-III on a Blue&Wood rifle and it does look a bit strange. I'd not asked about it, but he was aware of the appearance being different than what we would normally expect.

He said, "You know what I'm going to tell people when they ask why I have a Stainless scope on a B&W rifle?"

"What?"

"$120"

"What??"

"I sniped the scope off the net and only have $120 in it, so that is why it's on the rifle!"

"Ah-ha, it does look better since you said that!"

So, put whatever you like on it and good luck on finding a deal on a great scope. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote