The Accurate Reloading Forums
glossy black optics and stainless guns, do they match?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5411043/m/69510363

26 June 2002, 12:01
hunter_fish
glossy black optics and stainless guns, do they match?
I was wondering what people thought of a glossy, black scope on a stainless steel barreled rifle. I already have a leupold glossy scope, and looking at a Savage .223 26inch stainless heavy barreled, rifle. I belive it is the model 12. What do you think of those guns? Thanks
26 June 2002, 12:27
p dog shooter
I have no trouble putting black scopes on stainless guns but that is me. You well find that the savage rifle very accurate. Triggers need work I put timmy triggers in mine.
26 June 2002, 16:35
Bucktail
I think it looks just fine too. I'm partial to matte black, but it's just a personal preference and I wouldn't buy one if I already had one in glossy.
26 June 2002, 16:46
Dr. Lou
I am partial to matte scopes on stainless rifles over gloss or silver scopes. I think they look much better, but that's just my opinion. However, I have not found any game that really cared one way or the other.
26 June 2002, 17:35
<mydogtwig>
I was wondering if I would but the black shoes with the brown belt or the brown shoes with the black belt. As long as no one else cares. I never thought of my rifle as a fashion statement.
27 June 2002, 02:05
Hot Core
Hey hunter_fish, I have a Safe full of Stainless and Synthetic rifles which all wear black scopes. Kind of surprised me that 3 of them were gloss since I also prefer the matte finish, but 2 of those 3 are on 22 rimfires.

I've got a buddy who recently mounted a Stainless VariX-III on a Blue&Wood rifle and it does look a bit strange. I'd not asked about it, but he was aware of the appearance being different than what we would normally expect.

He said, "You know what I'm going to tell people when they ask why I have a Stainless scope on a B&W rifle?"

"What?"

"$120"

"What??"

"I sniped the scope off the net and only have $120 in it, so that is why it's on the rifle!"

"Ah-ha, it does look better since you said that!"

So, put whatever you like on it and good luck on finding a deal on a great scope. [Big Grin]