New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmit shooting benches
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What benches out there on the market do you guys/gals like shooting from for prairie dogs?

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a BR Pivot. Swivels 360 degrees, seat raises and lowers. Puts up and takes down in literally a minute or a minute and a half.
That bench and that CZ .17 Ackley Hornet sure are a gophers worst nightmare.
That bench is one of my most prized pieces of equipment for varminting.

Bad news is the fella that made em when I got mine lived in Oregon and he has since sold out, to the folks at Caldwell as memory serves and I'm willing to bet they had to cheapen them some to meet a price point (not for sure on that part, just a guess). Either way it's a great bench.
Here's a link.

B R Pivot 360 degree swivel bench

I found a few that were less money than the one the link takes you to, just go to products then shooting benches.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ironing board and a stool

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I made this for all my testing needs. Most of our "Varmint"( read rabbits) hunts are not conducive to bench shooting so prone - bipod is the way to go. Legs screw off for transport. Mind you this is my 404 I am testing here so it is probably a little unsuited to varmints at distance. For them I use my XR 100 in 20 VarTarg.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

This is my setup, aluminum ironing board and 5 gallon bucket with padded swivel lid. This pic was taken right after a 528 yd shot with my .204 Wasp Ruger #1. This setup is steady and very portable.

Another way to go, homemade plywood bench with fold up table legs.

My recently deceased shooting partner shooting off his swivel bench in May 07. I don't know the manufacturer of his bench, but it was always a pain in the butt to setup, take down and store in the truck.
I have shot off all three and off the ground for years before.
One of my shooting buddies found this ironing board at a garage sale for $5 and gave it to me since he was building a table like the one in the picture.
I like my setup best for a couple of reasons. First, it was real inexpensive, didn't cost me anything. Second, it's so portable. If I decide to move a couple hundred yards to shoot some dogs over the next hill, I just put the binos, ammo, water and other stuff in the bucket, sling the rifle over one shoulder and carry the board under the arm thats carrying the bucket. When I get to my new spot I can be shooting in about 15 seconds or whenever I quit panting.
Dave in IN

Posts: 18 | Location: N. Central Indiana | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my set-up that I built some years ago. Although made for three or four legs....I most always use four, for more stability.

My "Rock"....

Kevin Gullette

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I build my own...using two pcs of 3/4" plywood
glued & screwed together....24 wide x 40 long...1.25" pipe legs welded to angled pipe sleeves welded to a 1/4" thick 4 x 4 plate....legs are 31" long...folding chair or cooler for seat..I make & sell the angled brackets...all you need is pipe legs...PVC caps for legs and plywood top...6BR Savage/Pac-Nor on table....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Portable shooting benches on AR

Another nice bench on AR

Here are a couple links to similar threads a couple years ago.

One of the neat additions that I never thought of were some notches at the rear of the bench to prop rifles like on Jimmyd223's table (top link).

---Mike

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote