Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable shooting benchs
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to have a portable shooting bench. I've seen some advertised in the Varmint Hunter magazine but they run around $450.00 and I really don't want to spend that much money. Does anyone know of a good sturdy portable bench without spending that kind of money? Or perhaps plans that I could build one. It doesn't have to be real light like the 45 lbs ones in the magazine, just something I can throw in the truck that can be folded or bolted together in a short period of time.

Thanks
Ron

Posts: 5 | Location: North, FL | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ron,

No way would I spend $450 on a [portable shooting bench! You can build your own for under $100..I used some plans I found on the Net for a three legged bench and it works great..let me do a quick search and I'll see what I can find..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213942

Have not tried it yet but looking at it hard.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is the plans for the one I made:

http://www.aeroaces.com/bench2.htm

My top was made from two bits of 3/4" ply glued and screwed together to make it 1 1/2" thick..Coupled to the tripod configuration of the legs, it makes for a very stable set up.

Stay away from designs that use four legs, because unless the ground is perfectly flat, they will have a tendency to "rock"...

You can alter the top to a basic "T" shaped as in the plans below and that would suit either right or left handed shooters...

http://www.larrywillis.com/shootingbench.html

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Ron,

If you want more pics and info I can have it for you tomorrow.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Any chance of some pics/info of how the legs attach to the bench?

The only reservation I have about my bench is that is relies on the standard threading of the pipe. While is held up ok up to now, I am wondering if there might not be a better way of mounting the legs..

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I will take some pics of the legs and other particulars, and get them up here tomorrow. I built two benches with pipe flanges and screw in legs and I don't use that method anymore. It is fine but the larger bases that I am using seem to steady the works a little better.

I will get some more detailed pics tomorrow and I am thinking of using the plastic deck material instead of treated wood. I am going to stop in to the builders supply later and check out the material to see if it would work.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Jim,

Not a very good picture of the bench, but its all I have at the present..

The guy in the picture posts here under the name Fallow Buck and was zeroing his .308win prior to a an hunting trip..

I used 1" OD pipe for the legs simply because thats what I had to hand..it works OK, but I think 1 1/2" OD would be better...I do think its a mistake to try to save weight on these benches..I think of them as "moveable" rather than "portable"...If I did one again, I would use 1 1/2" OD pipe and a 2" thick top...

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Think 3/4" plywood 1 piece 4x8.
Cut in half (4x4).
One tube liquidd nails or other construction adhesive.
A few dozen 1 1/4" drywall screws
3 1 1/4" pipe flanges (the ones you use to fasten pipe railing to a floor or wall)
3 lengths of 1 1/4" pipe about 30, to 32" long.
3 1 1/4" pipe caps.
And three wide shim shingles or 5 degree wood wedges.

Glue the plywood together(good sides out)
Screw from one side. Avoid placing screws where you will want to cut to shape your bench top to your design.
Allow the adhesive to set. Usually 12 to 24 hours.
Trace your desired design onto the plywood, and cut to shape. Think school desk.
Use the wood shims/wedges so that the legs will cant outward. Screw the flanges onto the wedges into the top(Bottom side there of).

Should cost under 60 dollars. unless you want high grade plywood.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have a really nice one with stout metal folding legs and frame and composite table top and seat. It cost right at $100.00. We're in a moving phase and I can't get to it right now but I see them advertise in a number of catalogs. When I can get to it I'll post the make. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"UNCLE BUD'S CSS", same people who made the original "Uncle Bud's Bulls Bags" have a pretty darn good portable bench system!! Theirs uses a platform and an adjustable armrest.....I took it one step further and replaced the table rest part with a 3/4" HDPE top to allow using your front rest and rear bag!! I've got one of them in the shop right now. You'll get the HDPE top and the original top and armrest, $150.00 +shipping! Let me know!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveOK! found them in Cabelas on the internet.The Elite model is $119.00 and the one that I have is the Big Game model at $99.99. They have nice photo illustrations. When I got mine I weighed 345# and it held me. I've tried a number of sit down steady rests but This thing is sturdy and you have bench top space to put stuff. I use to do a lot of early morning a late afternoon edge of field hunting when I lived in GJ CO. This thing back than would have been the cats nuts to make those accross the field shots. beerand the price is right roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
roflmaoI use a fold up table I bought at Staples, a chain office supply, for 24.00. Top it off with a Dog Gone Good shooting bag. The prairie dogs never know what hits them!

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post

Please hold your comments about my bird-shit welds. I am not a professional welder and I wasn’t building the space shuttle.

Pete,

I built two benches using pipe flanges and although they worked fine, there always seemed to be some flex in the pipe to flange joint or in the wedge above it. When the bench was set up with a gun on it you could wiggle the top slightly.

Using the slide in pipes and larger bases was the answer for me. This thing is really “rock steadyâ€. One of my buddies shoots his 50 BMG from this often. It sets up and takes down in less than a minute. I have found now I can go lighter on the top and save some weight without sacrificing strength. I have done the plywood thing and I like the deck wood.

The top is made out of two 8’ pieces of 6†treated wood decking. I looked at the plastic stuff last night and it is much heavier. The receiver pipes are 1 1/4†OD. The legs are 1†OD. There is usually a “ridge†that runs lengthwise with, and on the inside of the 1 1/4†pipe. This ridge keeps the 1†from slipping easily into the larger. I lathed mine down, but an alternative to this would be grinding a “valley†in the leg to accomodate the ridge in the receiver. The welded base is 1/8 X 4†steel ,cut to 3†in width.

I added spacers to the top boards so the gaps act as a place to carry the bench. Don’t know the exact angle of the legs. I just cut them with a hacksaw at what looked like a good angle and they worked fine. The shape of the top is per dads request, I would use more of a school desk shape. Anything I forgot, just ask.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Jim,

"Bird shit welds": some phrases are truely international! Big Grin I keep thinking about going to nightschool to learn welding properly, but as you say we are not exactly working on the space shuttle!

I would say you've done a good job; it looks a very functional bench. Roughly how long and wide is the top?

I can't remember how tall my bench is (its out on loan at present)but I kept it as low as possible and used a stool that gives me quite an upright seating position..I think that has added to the stability to a degree.

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bench Jim-- i'm building 2 of the Aero-Aces benches now but-- sounds like you're system's better.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve for the compliment.

Pete,

The length is right at 32 inches. The width about 30. My Dad requested this for one of those red MTM shooting rests he sometimes uses. Most of our guns are heavy barrelled, with long stocks and I tend to add a little more to the length to get the sand bags out there so the gun doesn't take a "header" off the front of the bench. Tends to wreck ones day....

For the height, when I was younger I built the benches low and hunched over the stock and thought everything was perfect. Now as the back gets a little tender once in a while I am building them higher. The legs are at 32 inches in length. (You can cut an 8' piece of tubing into 3 equal pieces). This gets the bench up high and you don't have to use 4-5 sand bags to build up the gun. Two in front and one in the rear and you can sit up straight and shoot all day. The pic of the stand on the prairie has "short" legs on it and you can see how far Dad had to build up the gun. I took his stand out for one of my trips this year and built the long legs to try it out. I really like it and am building another for myself with a school desk shape and 32" legs. After 25 years of experimenting I feel as I have the final design perfected for me at least.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Jim,

I don't think our ideas are that far out...to get a straighter back I simply went with a shorter stool..

You keep mentioning using the shape of a school desk for a top..Do you have a picture or can you describe it as I have no idea what an American school desk look like! *lol*

I have used a permanent bench which was rectangular in shape, but with semi circle or "U" cut out for the shooter...

One mod I may do to my bench to add an eye bolt or similar near the bottom of each leg so that 3 large oversize "tent pegs" can be used to stake it down...Its doesn't need it for normal use, but I am thinking of clamping a loading press to it so I can do load development in the field...

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, if anyone gives you any grief over your welds they should have their checkbook out ready to buy the thing. If it holds up, it's good enough. I'm going to add some small pnumatic tires to the front of mine for tranporting across the field. My bench is the school desk cut with fold down legs.
I figure I can fold it up, turn it over, load everything on it and take off. I picked up two 10" pnumatic tires with roller bearings from Harbor Freight for $5.00 each, should get everything to mount them on for another $10. The idea came from one of the regulars on the board here.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, you have given me some great ideas.

Ron

Posts: 5 | Location: North, FL | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
jbhewitt,

It makes sliding in and out of the pickup box a lot easier also. On my own benches I countersunk a couple of swivel studs from old gunstocks I had lying around the shop. Attach a padded gun sling and away I go.

Pete,

See your Aero Aces, top view, for the school desk design.

For handloading in the field I became frustrated with the lack of anything stable enough to (attach the press to) do the resizing operation. I finally took a piece of 1/4" flat steel and welded it to a 2†square tube,18" long that fits into the receiver hitch on the back of my pickup. I bolt the press to the plate, slide it into the receiver, move the bucket up close, sit down, open a cold one and begin resizing. It is actually a stronger setup than what I have in my shop!!

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the one I'm looking at. It has the ability to swivel. I have one of the Big Game benches and it works OK for shooting at targets and such, but you have to pick it up and turn it to shoot at a PD that isn't right in front of you.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"pdhntr1" I use a 4" angle grinder to get rid of my bird shit welds Big Grin I have a shooting bench that is made of 3/4" plywood, welded angle iron band, it has 3 legs and a lot of braces welded. It is rock solid, but is a lot more weight than I can carry. I use a dolly that I bought years ago, but if I can figure how to put wheels on it I think it would be easier to move. Dam thing slides off the dolly some times.

The big problem with my shooting bench is you need a truck to hall it. I also tried the screw in legs but they wiggle.

I like your design better. I think I will use plywood on the top like I did before with a angle iron band under the top. Then I will weld the pipes holding the legs into the band for more ridigity (sp). With your design I will be able to hall it in my Dodge Mini-Van. I am still looking for a small truck.

My buddy has been buging me to build him a shooting bench he can spring for the cost of material and help with the cutting. When I get it made I will try to post a picture.

Thanks for the photos it got the old brain working again thumb

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron47: I have two portable shooting benches as of now.
I recommed this type bench for Colony Varmint Hunting!
I easily built an EXTREMELY rigid bench that rolls on two wheelbarrow wheels! I am enclosing a link for you to peruse the pictures that gave me the idea for my very EASY to move (it GLIDES across even very rough ground and small ditches).
Anyway go to the link I am enclosing and look at those pictures then imagine the same type bench with the much larger pnuematic wheels on it that I use.
Mobility with a bench has many advantages for Colony Varmint Hunting and I highly recommend this type bench over the others!
You can "glide" this bench away from your vehicle and this alone allows you to enjoy MUCH better Colony Varmint Hunting! Prairie Dogs and Ground Squirrels are MUCH less wary of this bench than a vehicle! So you are able to increase your fun with ease!
I bought all the pieces for my "gliding " bench at the local hardware store in my small town here in SW Montana!
You need to buy (or scrounge!) two wheels, a length of threaded rod for the axles, 3 pre-cut (standard items!) legs of heavy galvanized pipe 32" long - approximately 2" diameter, three leg stantions that attach to the bottom of the bench (these are standard items also) that the legs will screw into, three pipe end caps and a sheet of plywood. I used outdoor plywood 5/8". Then I doubled that! I screwed and then glued the matching bench top pieces together. This bench is EXTREMELY rigid and stable! The axle is attached in the front UNDER the bench top and the wheels are lock nutted onto the axle (threaded rod), and three leg end caps (again standard items). I added a handle on the underside of the bench at the "rear". When it comes time to move I simply fold my chair, flip the bench over so the legs are pointing up and grab it by the handle and it will GLIDE over furrows and the roughest of ground with one finger pulling the 50 poundish bench! Once balanced with the handle it moves as quickly and effortlessly as you can walk!
Several people I know have put these together and enjoy them!
Main advantages again to this rig is the ease of mobility and the rigidness!
I simply wear a day pack for my ammo, sand bags, range finder, wind gauge, cool drinks etc. I carry my Rifle in the off hand and grasp the handle of the bench with the other. The folding camp chair just slips over a leg and rides on the rig as it is pulled.
The legs quickly unscrew for transport in your vehicle! I made a "holder" for them on the underside of the bench! I used 1" wide nylon strap to retain them while in transport or in storage in the grarge! The bench then is only as "deep" as the wheelbarrow wheels (14"?).
Good luck with which ever type you choose!
Heres the link:

http://www.geocities.com/helenron.geo/pictures.html

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:

See your Aero Aces, top view, for the school desk design.

Jim,

Of course! Sorry.. homer I had a bit of a Homer moment ...too busy thinking of the old fashioned lift top desk we used to get over here!

With regards your mounting your press on the reciever hitch, thats a great idea! Unfortunately my present 4x4 doesn't have one (they are not that common in the UK) but I am sure I can figure a way of fixing something direct to the tow ball(or its associated metal work) instead...I am using a Lee handpress at the moment and prep the cases at home, but would still prefer to use a proper press even if only one of those lightweight C frame Lee Loaders..

Regards,

Pete

posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

I've never tried fitting wheels to my bench but did a similar thing to a large wooden lean-to ladder stand I built...I used two large bolts as stub axles and was able to attach low pressure wheelbarrow wheels...It made moving it from the trailer to its final position in the woods a lot easier and once there I simply removed the wheels to use again.

Another DIY project was a deer cart..Almost as an after though we attached an eye bolt and a D shackle on the handle...Bty doing this we were able to tow (quite slowly though!) the cart behind our 4x4 or ATV once we had dragged it back to the foresty roads, but the cart did have decent mountain bike wheels on it..

Regards,

Pete

One of Us
Picture of smedley
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1,
Nice portable bench!!!
Easy break-down and set-up. I have been looking for something like that and you have given me some more ideas!! Thanks!!
I got an old backpack frame, (from my boyscout days of 30 yrs gone bye) that would carry something like that real good.
As far as your welds, if everybody could weld, we wouldn't have brain surgeons!! And the welders that work on the space shuttles are PROFESSONELS. Not saying they can't but, they (space shuttle welders) may not be able to pick off a 'yote at 287.5 yrds on a dead run!!!!

Thanks for the pictures and ideas,
Smedley

Smedley

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Winston Churchill
------------------------------------
"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." Samuel Adams
Facts are immaterial to liberals. Twisted perceptions however are invaluable.
We Americans were tired of being thought of as dumb, by the rest of the world. So we went to the polls in November 2008 and removed all doubt.....let's not do it again in 2012 please.

Posts: 3242 | Location: Cruising through the Milky Way at 98,000fps | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of nice school desks that by adding a little to the tops would make good benches - chromed steel frames with solid plastic (weatherproof) tops and seats. Will sell the pair for $30 (you pick up in central Michigan; can't ship). Email if you want pictures.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knothole Designs makes a good one for less than a hundred bucks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For an easy shooting bench, buy a Craftsman workmate, cut out your bench design from a piece of plywood, bolt a 2x4 on enf that's cut to fit to length inside the workmate. Bolt the 2x4 to the plywood on its short side. Glue carpet to the top and bondo the edges. Very easy, very cheap, and very sturdy. It only takes about an hour to make and the workmate legs fold under making it portable.

Jim

Jim

Posts: 70 | Location: Altus, OK | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried many different benches over the years and have also built a few of my own! However I would have to say this is the best one I have tried yet!! Here is the site, http://www.varmintmasters.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPH:
I have tried many different benches over the years and have also built a few of my own! However I would have to say this is the best one I have tried yet!! Here is the site, http://www.varmintmasters.net

That's a nice shooting bench, but at $550-$850, is not what most shooters are looking for. And certainly not the most portable at 75 lbs. The Aeroaces table is light, extremely stable, inexpensive and easy to build for anyone with a little DIY skill from commonly available parts.... and no welding is required.

http://www.aeroaces.com/bench2.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have actually tried this design and it is a very cost effective bench but I found for the type of shooting I do I prefer a little more stable bench and the weight isn't really a concern since I'm just unloading it out of my truck!

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPH:
I have actually tried this design and it is a very cost effective bench but I found for the type of shooting I do I prefer a little more stable bench and the weight isn't really a concern since I'm just unloading it out of my truck!

I might use 1 ¼†or 1 ½†plywood (sometimes hard to find) or screw and glue two 5/8" or 3/4" pieces together. You could go to a custom kitchen shop (one that does counter tops) and get 1 ½†“butcher block†laminate. This stuff is heavy and tough. Then I would use 1 1/2 “ or 2†pipe and flanges if I wanted it more stable.

That would increase the weight and stability without costing $500+…

And you made it yourself.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron47 I made my shooting bench from a design I got from John Ambrutis. Very simple sets up quick. Made mine a little heavier than I needed to used a scrap piece of 1 1/8 ply used for subfloor. Guess it weighs in at less than 30 Lbs. My bench is up and shooting before my buddy's even have theirs unloaded a setup. I use the same drum thrown that I use for BR. Take a look at the bench. Booger Bench

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a very simple design, weight is about 30lbs. The legs are aluminum and threaded. The brackets can be bought off ebay for I think about 30. or make them yourself. I really like this one and may build another with a bit differant design to fit my needs better.
The BP Pivot is cool as hell but heavy and alot of damn money that could buy "ammo"

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Jimmyd223, the notches in the rear are a nice touch.
What are you going to change on your next bench?

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
I currently use a bench much like the ones discussed here with the school desk shape.

I find that I can’t get my shoulder totally behind the gun because the side of my body hits the table?

This has not been an issue for me except when I shoot a heavy recoiling gun.

When I do, I tend to have the butt of the rifle more on my arm and when the gun goes off, I feel like my shoulder is being dislocated.

In an effort to minimize this, I turn my bench around backwards and sit behind it, putting my chest up against the bench and allowing the stock move further in and away from my arm.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, wouldn’t a bench designed more like a picnic table work better for this?

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flippy, as of right now, not quite sure of design changes as this new bench will be a pickup bench for the sage rat hunting. A few guys were using the BP Pivot in the back of PU's and the higher elevation was a benifit when looking over the fields. The bench I have now is the cats ass but I seem to never be satisfied. Damn, I like this second picture. This was in eastern oregon

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Jimmyd223, I agree with your assesment of your bench. Nice and simple. What website did you find those leg brackets? I spent quite some time looking on e-bay and various sites with no success.

Nice picture of Eastern Oregon. I live in Western Oregon and have hunted in Central/Eastern Oregon. Sure is a different landscape for only being about 100 miles away.