THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    savage 12fv 243 magazine lenght

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 12fv 243 magazine lenght
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the magazine length long enough in the 12 fv for reloaded .243 ammo close to the lands?
Would i be making a mistake buying this gun if i want sub .5 moa groups?.. Or do i need to start with a three thousand dollar custom gun in 6mmbr? .. dave..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no guarantees but .5MOA is possible. If not you can build it so it will shoot that good for considerably less than $3000, you could build at least 3 of them for that. I would guess you won't get to the lands in a factory chamber with a round that fits in the magazine.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kuna, ID | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffffg:
Is the magazine length long enough in the 12 fv for reloaded .243 ammo close to the lands?
Would i be making a mistake buying this gun if i want sub .5 moa groups?.. Or do i need to start with a three thousand dollar custom gun in 6mmbr? .. dave..
Well it depends what weight bullets I have a 200 stevens and have no problem getting to the lands and it shoots 1/2inch groups and i load them in the mag,also the barnes tripple x bullets can be seated deeper and they like it. Hope this helps.

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With regards to magazine length I dont think there will be an issue. Mine certainly has room to spare. My Savage is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned including some after market barreled rifles. I have shot five shot 100 yard groups in the 2's and staying under a half inch is a no brainer. I believe average would be under .4 for 5 shots. Good choice

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote