THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Glass Recommendations for 204 Ruger?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass Recommendations for 204 Ruger?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
This will be my first 204 Ruger. It will be primarily used on prairie dogs, and maybe the odd coyote from time to time.

I am looking at the Nikon Monarch 6-24X50. Is this potentially overkill? Any recommendations for new glass to sit atop a Weatherby Vangard Varmint in 204 ruger?

Man, I'm looking forward to heating up the barrel!!

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5-24x sounds like a good choice for shooting pdogs, but may be a little too large/heavy to tote around for shooting called coyotes. I have a 4-12x Leupold VX2 on my Remington 700 in 204, but my rifle has a medium sporter contour barrel and is more of a walking varmint rifle than a 400+ yard pdog shooter.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
6.5-24x sounds like a good choice for shooting pdogs, but may be a little too large/heavy to tote around for shooting called coyotes.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Just to clarify things. This really won't be a toting gun. I'll leave that to the 22-250. The 'yotes would mainly be more of a target of opportunity.

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
graybird,
My prairie dog rifles both wear 6-24 scopes. I used a 6-18 leupy with the plex reticle on one for a while and didn't think it was enough. I'm much happier with a 6-24 and the mil-dot reticle. I don't really use the mil-dot I just use it for hold off estimation.

Also for prairie dogs, I don't think you need a very high quality (expensive) scope. My $100 Eagle Eye is as good, if not better than my Leupold for p dogs.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Leupold 6.5x20 on my 204 and a couple of other 22 centerfires. If often find myself not using the higher magnifications. But it is nice to have the option of cranking them up to full power.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
This will be my first 204 Ruger. It will be primarily used on prairie dogs, and maybe the odd coyote from time to time.

I am looking at the Nikon Monarch 6-24X50. Is this potentially overkill? Any recommendations for new glass to sit atop a Weatherby Vangard Varmint in 204 ruger?

Man, I'm looking forward to heating up the barrel!!

Thanks,

Excellent choice in my opinion.

I don't think it is overkill at all.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not see much use for a 50 mm lense for varmints. Light gathering is not a priority for varmint scopes. IMO the most important feature is tracking. Good glass is important also . I would look at the Bushnell 4200, 6X24X40. I just bought a new one for $403 out the door. The tracking on the 4200 is great considering the price range of the scope. The scope tracks better than the 4X12 Monarch that I have, and I believe the 4200 glass is every bit as good. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine has a Leup 6-18 VXII

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine wear Nikon 6-18. I like the 1" scope tube.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote