THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    No Poo Poo On Sierra 50gr. Blitz!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Poo Poo On Sierra 50gr. Blitz!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Every once in a while (and it happened again just this minute in an off line E-mail that I answered) I recommend a load for 222's, 223's and 22-250's where in I profess using the Sierra 50 gr. Blitz bullets. And people "Poo Poo" them!
I wonder why I always say to myself when I here this poo pooing?
It seems these days everyone is interested in hollow-points (with large cavities), or flat based bullets only, or boat tail bullets only or bullets with cool looking and sharp Poly-carbonate tips! And indeed I have had good luck with these types of bullets also.
But these wonderful plain old spitzer style Sierra Blitz bullets (Sierra product #1340) have provided me with wonderful accuracy, wonderful lethality and wonderful value for many, many years now!
These bullets, as I alluded to previously, are very economical as compared to the Bergers or the Poly-carbonate tipped bullets of all makes!
I shoot the Sierra Blitz bullets out of both 22-250's and 220 Swifts and they perform just as well in them as in 221's, 222's and 223's!
Some of my Swifts do also use the 55 grain Sierra Blitz bullets (Sierra product #1345). But the 50 gr. Blitz's hold up in them and perform well on Varmints at the speeds I shoot them 3,800 F.P.S.+.
I have never lost a Blitz bullet due to midflight disintegration as yet.
If you Varminters are interested in a cheap, easy to find, wonderfully accurate 50 gr. bullet that performs admirably on all sizes of Varmints from Ground Squirrels to Coyotes then I highly recommend the "plain Jane" Sierra 50 gr. Blitz's!
Give them a try I am sure you will be happy with them and you will save some bucks along the way.
Long live Sierra!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't reload enough to have a valid opinion.... BUT (and you saw that coming) You are the FIRST person from Montana that I've ever seen use the phrase "Poo poo" clap

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree, my 22-250 sure likes them. I tend to use cheaper bulk packed bullets for most of my non-game shooting, sure would be nice if Sierra would offer this bullet in the 1000 packs!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with them but am looking for something that won't open up the pelt so bad - was going to try V-Max this year - how does the blitz do with pelts????

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Uh, what is this "poo-poo" that you describe, VG? Wink

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
JeffMc,

Have you tried Bergers?

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redial: Mark - "poo poo" - as I use it, is more of an attitude or a way of dismissing something without giving it proper credence or respect - than any physical thing!
To "poo poo" something is to engage in denying something, its worth. So "poo pooing" is more of an "adverb" or something and not a "noun"!
Somewhat on the order of "bull shit" which can be a noun as well as an adverb! "Bull shit" is something that physically has a presence! And "bull shit" can also describe the factual negativity of something one has said!
So I thought I would use the term "poo pooing" to describe how many folks I know have passed judgement on the wonderful Sierra 50 gr. Blitz bullets!
I hope my use of such strong language has not offended anyone or upset anyones stomachs to any great extent!

Collins: I have Hunted and fished with MANY folks that hail from New York!
O.K.!
And I will say this and I mean no offense to you or anyone else from New York - its just an observation!
I spent 12 years working on the original "Skid Road" in a large port city, in a professional capacity! In all those years of dealing on a day to day basis with the denizens of that cess-pool of humanity not one of the whores, pimps, pick pockets, murderers, rapists, drug addicts, winos, pushers, ex-cons, swabbies, three card montee players, street hustlers, boy whores, transvestites and assorted other ner'do-wells could hold a candle to any of my many friends from New York when it comes to profane speech!
And that my friend is an astounding feat for New Yorkers to achieve!
Again I hope my uttering the phrase "poo-poo" did not permanently harm your North East sensibilities.
And by the way I am not really from Montana - I was born raised and lived for 50 years in the Seattle, Washington area. I have lived the last 8 years though here in SW Montana and now that you mention it I do not recall any native Montanans using such strong verbage as "poo-poo" - at least in mixed company!
By the way I read last week that only 36% of the people that live today IN Montana were born IN Montana!
I will be Antelope Hunting come October 9th with two boys from New York Cities finest Department - the PD!
I had a wonderful lunch (the locals call it "dinner" around here!) here in SW Montana with a couple that lived for more than 50 years in New York City. This was just the Sunday before last. The lunch consisted of Roast Chicken, Shrimp Shishkabobs, Barbequed Pork Ribs AND Barbequed Venison! The side dishes included Mashed Potatoes and a wonderful Cuccumber Salad! I had never enjoyed a meal as much as that one! Meal does not do that feast justice I must refer to it as a feast! The New York hosts then bowled us over when they demanded we partake in a desert with them that the wife had just baked! It was an Apricot Torte" served warm from the oven with French Vanilla Ice Cream!!!
I could have died right then and been happy with my life!
What wonderful hosts those two now retired New Yorkers were!
To set off this feast the scene from the veranda of their newly built log mansion was a view of nearby mountains and a mountain stream where Mule Deer were watering there that mid-day!
I will say this that these two New Yorkers did use some rather strong language - shocking some might describe it as!
Now I am gonna give you (a New Yorker!) a chance to retract your attempt at besmirchment of me and my speech patterns.
I think maybe you mistook my "poo-poo" to have been a noun and not an adverb?
Long Live New York and New Yorkers!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
homerI think the term is, or should be, pooh poohing it. But up there in Montana, shouldn't it be cow pieing it or something?

I might add that I use a lot of those Blitz bullets in my .223 and .22-250. They are very similar to the Hornady SPSX bullets.

Cabela's also markets a bullet similar to that called "Critter Ridders." Don't mean to spam for Cabela's, but they make them prairie dogs pop like balloons!

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
how does the blitz do with pelts????

Not bad with the 50 grainers at around 3000-3100 MV, they won't exit bobcats or coyotes most of the time. Same for the Hornady SX, Calhoon DHP and Bergers.

But, a .17 Remington with a 25gr. Berger is the way to go for taking coyotes and cats for the fur market.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We had the 50 gr Blitz in 1963 and it blew the poo poo out of chucks then. Cool

What else is new in Montana? Is General Custer still going with the trap door or is he thinking about repeaters?

Just kidding.

The Blitz and SX were an improvement for the 222 back when.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Savage, half of Missoula is still waiting for the next Hendrix album...

I tell new arrivals, "Welcome to Montana! Set your clocks back 30 years."

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy Richardson: YOU are exactly correct on the spelling of the word (term?) pooh-pooh! I was exactly correct on the definition even though my spelling was a tad off!
I had to check 7 dictionaries before I found one that showed the word "pooh" and then the term "pooh-pooh".
My Amercian College two volume (2 huge volumes by the way!) set defines "pooh-pooh" as: to express disdain or contempt for, or, to dismiss as unworthy of consideration.
So my last source of definitions does in fact show that both "pooh" and "pooh-pooh" are words (terms) and in fact "poo" is nothing!
Maybe that is what piqued the sensibilities of our friend from N.Y.!
And, yes, my friend Mark (Redial) from the Missoula area (not Missoula itself I hope!) is entirely correct - Montana has its own time setting decade wise, from the rest of America!
Its called Montana Time.
I kind of enjoy it!
I found that when I was last out on the west coast a month or so ago - that "Anus Bleaching" is the latest fad amongst the young and hip crowd there abouts!
I am predicting "Anus Bleaching" won't get here to SW Montana for at least 30 to 35 years - maybe even a full half century!!!
Its a job (and a procedure!) that I want nothing to do with in any way, shape or form!
Long live Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can think of worse than the thought of “Anus Bleaching†would be the one that personally tested rectal thermometers for a living. Big Grin

But what the heck does any of this have to do with Sierra 50gr. Blitz bullets? bewildered

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found that when I was last out on the west coast a month or so ago - that "Anus Bleaching" is the latest fad amongst the young and hip crowd there abouts!

VG, I think you've been had by an urban legend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Skinner: I only wish it were an urban legend! I actually saw classified ads in underground (more appropraitely called "counter-culture") news papers for this type service! And on the medical channnel, on cable TV, they actually showed young people up on examination tables on their knees getting their anuses (ani?) bleached!!!
I know its hard to believe and disgusting and worrisome but I am convinced it is going on!
My biggest question, was - WHY?
I am sure glad I am a country boy now!
On a bodyguarding assignment I did in Seattle almost two years ago now I actually struck up a friendship with a young black man who did this work! In addition to anal bleaching he bleached anal hair and hair anywhere on people that they wanted bleached!
He had a booming 6 day a week business and most of it was bleaching youngish womens pubic hair to match their head hair! He relayed to us he had MANY standing appointments (appointments standing every two weeks or 3 weeks on a particular day and time of the week).
This type procedure is not a one time thing! It needs to be redone, depending on ... well I will leave that unsaid!
He drove a nice Mercedes as I recall.
Long live Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag: I think it was my misuse of the term "pooh-pooh" that got us (me?) off on this tangent (misdirection).
I find it not only way off subject (you are right) but its really a funny and sad comment on todays young folks!
Again sorry my original reference was not meant to offend you or anyone.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
lolVarmintGuy,

That mighta been luck on my part with the spelling of pooh pooh.

As far as anus bleaching goes, we do a lot of that down here in New Mexico too! Just eat some a the hot chile we have here and then take a fire extinguisher into the bathroom with you to put out the fire when you take a crap.

That hotness is also called "Mexican Heartburn!"

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing is Roy, I don't think most of the folks around realize how literal you are in your post. I lived in NM for a couple of years and depending on when and where the chiles were harvested, a person's nether regions could be seriously impaired by what they ate. Fire in the hole!!!

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
VG,
I'm not a New Yorker... 18 Years in Alabama, 5 in Idaho, 5 in the UK, 1 in Turkey and I got here (upstate) 3 weeks before the "Blizzard of 93". (48 inches of snow on a Saturday afternoon).

As far as my admonishment of your choice of words... to paraphrase many great westerns, "I was smiling when I typed it". Big Grin

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of West
posted Hide Post
Based on the previous definitions I am confused. When my two year old grandson talks about poo-poo, I gues we are on different tracks.

Roy, agree on that NM chili. Lived in the great state for 25+ years and as we used to say, "come on ice cream!"

BTW, one of 223's loves the 50 gr. BK's. Got me my 500 yd. pin.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
West: Congratulations on the 500 yard achievement!
And welcome from everyone on the AR Forums to you also - if I might be so bold as to speak for "everyone" - LOL!
Now and then I see posts that decry the 223 as not being able to do much past 250 yards! I always snicker at these types of statements as these folks making the posting have obviously never been afield much with a good 223!
For instance - a few years back myself and two friends went on a fall Turkey Hunt to an area I knew well in far eastern Montana. One of my friends is a local Taxidermist and the other an Alaskan River Guide. I took along my trusty Remington 700 PSS in caliber 223 with a Leupold 6.5x20 scope on it - just in case we had time for some Varmints.
We got our fill of Turkeys and then we came upon a "Virgin" Prairie Dog Town hidden way back in the hills!
We were going through my ammo at a splendid rate and down to about 40 rounds left when I said to my friends hey enough of this 150 yard flip'em in the air stuff - lets try for 400 yard shots with the last of my ammo!
Neither had done much Prairie Dog shooting and never shot a Prairie Dog or any other Varmint much beyond 200 yards - and they looked a little sheepish at my suggestion. Oh come on I said! It was not 10 alternating shots later and they both had made it into the 400+ yard club with my 24" barrelled 223! Some of the Leica lasered shots were near 450 yards as I recall!
I have killed Varmints several times out at 500 yardish ranges using my various 223's!
I have never even tried a shot with any of my 223's at or near 600 yards though. I have other Rifles if that situation prompts me.
Long live the 223 Remington!
I am going to have to make a spcific effort to "officially" get my 500 yard club patch! I always seem to be Hunting with guys who are not much into joining organizations! And the last time I checked any 500 yard shot needed to be witnessed by a V.H.A. member to "officially" qualify. I have never had any interest in joining the 1,000 Yard Club at all.
Again congrats on the long shot and welcome.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy